Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Cryptic: Request for comment re Aux2Batt (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=828951)

momaw 08-17-2013 11:25 AM

Cryptic: Request for comment re Aux2Batt
 
It can't have escaped notice over in the dungeons of Cryptic that the so-called "aux2batt build" has exploded in popularity. Due to the fact that multiple technicians can be stacked up and effectively reduce all cooldowns to their global minimum, especially abilities that have special duty officers which amplify their effects.

What I am wondering is: Is this behavior intended? Should we accept, plan, and rely on aux2batt and technicians working this way for the foreseeable future, and adopt it as the new yardstick by which all ship designs are measured?

Personally I have not grown accustomed to it because I have seen it as an exploitive and unintended mechanic. But if this build is known and blessed by Cryptic then I will reevaluate...

There is nothing I have said that either invites or requires comment by anybody except Cryptic.

meimeitoo 08-17-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momaw (Post 11974851)
It can't have escaped notice over in the dungeons of Cryptic that the so-called "aux2batt build" has exploded in popularity. Due to the fact that multiple technicians can be stacked up and effectively reduce all cooldowns to their global minimum, especially abilities that have special duty officers which amplify their effects.

What I am wondering is: Is this behavior intended? Should we accept, plan, and rely on aux2batt and technicians working this way for the foreseeable future, and adopt it as the new yardstick by which all ship designs are measured?

Personally I have not grown accustomed to it because I have seen it as an exploitive and unintended mechanic. But if this build is known and blessed by Cryptic then I will reevaluate...


LOL. Just because aux2bat is new to *you*, doesn't mean it is. :) In fact, yawn, A2B builds are very well documented, and not some sort of OP-secret at all.

And no, it's not god-mode either. It requires you to sacrifice no less than 3 doff slots (3x technicians, and usually 1x Marion for DEM). And you're without aux a lot of the time. Plus it takes 2 at least Lt. stations to be of any use.

Some ships, like Fleet Excelsior, for instance, with their single Tact (Lt. Cmdr) station, pretty much rely on A2B, as that's the only viable way to 'duplicate' any tact abilities. And you get good power with it. But you're giving up a lot too.

Tl;dr: working as intended.

taschenbillard12 08-17-2013 11:55 AM

sure you have the doffs that buff the attack pattern recharge time - 30% recharge time
then the doffs that buff emergency power recharge time - 35% chance 30% recharge time
and then technicians that buff the recharge time of every ability - 10%
hardly balanced

bpharma 08-17-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taschenbillard12 (Post 11975321)
sure you have the doffs that buff the attack pattern recharge time - 30% recharge time
then the doffs that buff emergency power recharge time - 35% chance 30% recharge time
and then technicians that buff the recharge time of every ability - 10%
hardly balanced

Yes but the technicians need to also use a Lt level boff ability to get the reduction and you need 3 of them to equal the cooldown reduction of the just one of the others. If you're looking for the OP doff in your list it is clearly the attack pattern one as it is a straight 30% reduction in all attack patterns (except alpha) which are some of the most powerful abilities in the game. The other doffs have catches like using an aux crippling Lt ability or only a chance to have the CD reduction.

taschenbillard12 08-17-2013 12:40 PM

sure, wait how much attack patterns can you run at a time hm ?
the atp doffs are the weakest here

chris919uk 08-17-2013 12:51 PM

Sorry OP I disagree. Aux to battery is not an exploit, it is imho a neccessity for Cruiser players that want to at least do a reasonable amount of DPS.

If you get your way and Aux to battery is no longer a viable option then this game will truly have become Escorts/Carriers online. That is unless Cryptic create some other option for Cruiser players that promotes a sense of ingame balance. (Balance? Yes I laughed when I wrote that)

As a Battlecruiser owner running Aux to battery I say no thank you to your proposal. :D

adamkafei 08-17-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris919uk (Post 11976031)
Sorry OP I disagree. Aux to battery is not an exploit, it is imho a neccessity for Cruiser players that want to at least do a reasonable amount of DPS.

I don't know what kind of cruiser builds you run but I don't use Aux2Batt anymore, I swapped to Aux2Damp which gives me some pretty neat defensive and manoeuvring boosts, and yet I am still a very effective source of DPS using an engineering captain.

In fact I find I can so decent DPS while running a jack of all trades type of build rather than Aux2Batt.

bpharma 08-17-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taschenbillard12 (Post 11975321)
sure you have the doffs that buff the attack pattern recharge time - 30% recharge time
then the doffs that buff emergency power recharge time - 35% chance 30% recharge time
and then technicians that buff the recharge time of every ability - 10%
hardly balanced

You can run up to 3 at a time and it's a 15% CD reduction on attack patterns. Which means with 3 you can reduce APO3 to a 33s CD and have super powerful escorts of doom. Most attack patterns end up on global cooldown or so close it almost makes no difference. Only downside to the doffs is they cost millions now!

chris919uk 08-17-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamkafei (Post 11976631)
I don't know what kind of cruiser builds you run but I don't use Aux2Batt anymore, I swapped to Aux2Damp which gives me some pretty neat defensive and manoeuvring boosts, and yet I am still a very effective source of DPS using an engineering captain.

In fact I find I can so decent DPS while running a jack of all trades type of build rather than Aux2Batt.

That is entirely your choice. I guess I should have said Aux2Batt is an option rather than an a necessity. :) Point is I still don't see why the devs should remove that "option." Aux2Damp wouldn't be that useful to me. Fleet K'tinga turns fine and the same goes for my Excelsior Retrofit.

alexlancos 08-17-2013 04:53 PM

i dont like the idea of changeing/removing a2batt or the doffs, not every ship that uses these are cruisers, to me a2b was the last option on my kar'fi, since i found within bug reports that deflector doffs not working with power siphon for a long time, and i wanted to equally reduce cd on both siphon and tyken, the only thing left is a2batt with the technicans


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:32 AM.