Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Change phonton torpedos high yield to the photonic shockwave torpedo ability. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=835871)

templardg 08-24-2013 08:14 AM

Change phonton torpedos high yield to the photonic shockwave torpedo ability.

Just a thought as many people only use quantum torpedoes in the later levels as they move faster and do more damage per burst.

photons are great for there reload times but this is somewhat out weighed buy quantum torpedoes damage and speed, and i think this could be balanced buy making photon torpedoes turn into photonic shockwave torpedoes under the effects of high yield.

this would make them just as useful in the later levels and would mean using things already in the game so would be easy enough for the devs to do.

i understand that they would have to replace the nadeon console to do this, but i think people would agree it would be worth it.

packer3434 08-24-2013 08:19 AM

To me the nadeon console is worthless in stfs. All it does is spread out enemies thereby making it harder to effectively use any aoe cannon boff powers.

Giving high yield a the same effect would be similarly worthless imo.

ursusmorologus 08-24-2013 08:21 AM

Photons are better spread

Also what packer said, the photonic push effect is counter-productive for the most part

templardg 08-24-2013 09:28 AM

Would be more useful then the standard high yield.

packer3434 08-24-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by templardg (Post 12092901)
Would be more useful then the standard high yield.

I wouldn't say so, I've only used the console once (saw what it did an then put it away) but it's damage seemed almost negligible compared to the damage that high yield does.

Also as I stated before it's likely to lower the dps of everyone using cannons.

lianthelia 08-24-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packer3434 (Post 12093041)
I wouldn't say so, I've only used the console once (saw what it did an then put it away) but it's damage seemed almost negligible compared to the damage that high yield does.

Also as I stated before it's likely to lower the dps of everyone using cannons.

Well the ability is affected by Particle Generators on top of other things so you might have not been spec'ed well for it...but yeah either way not only would this idea be not to great but would make the Nadeon Detonator even more useless.

vnexus 08-24-2013 10:39 AM

Good Question

Heh, that'd make them better for Ops like Cure Space or No Win (maybe) ...depending on which direction enemies got pushed.. at the wrong angle it'd just make things worse :D

Im not sure how to make the other Torps more worth-wild. Poster is right on one thing, it seems Quantum Torps are the only ones that mostly get used and for good reason..

Speed/DPS & direct impact damage. Plasma Torps (even with DoT) still dont equal the "impact damage" of Quan. Photon are just generally weaker.. then both I think. While we do see a few Tri Torps being used (tactically), even those are weaker now due to the nerf some few months ago(lower dmg, faster CD time = lower critical hit dmg).

Im not sure what tweaking would make Photon and normal Plasma Torps more appealing.. some Tweak to Photon's HY might shift the odds in its favor more, but pushing/spreading ur foes far away might not be one of them.. mayb a 1second 3KM shock stun wave or just simply a 5 KM damage impact radius. I would say make it simple.. but effective.

As for Plasma Torps ...they just need their damage equal or slightly higher then Quans of same level and modifier stats.

-V

templardg 08-24-2013 02:49 PM

I agree, even a change like that to the photons high yield would make it balanced.

lianthelia 08-24-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by templardg (Post 12096941)
I agree, even a change like that to the photons high yield would make it balanced.

Except there is nothing wrong with them right now..

timezarg 08-24-2013 06:46 PM

The issue with making photons into a stun/knockback weapon is that we already have such a weapon, in the form of tricobalt torpedoes and mines. Making photons do similar effects would render tricobalt useless.

Canon-wise, photons aren't supposed to be as good as quantums. By 2375-2385, quantums would likely have replaced photon torpedoes entirely, as they were already being placed on the newer ship designs, etc (First Contact was in 2373, quantum torpedoes started being used in 2371). They proved to be superior to the older photon torpedo designs.

In effect, photon torpedoes ought to be regarded as surplus equipment. . .cheap and reasonably effective, but not as powerful or as expensive as quantums. That's essentially where they're at in STO.