Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   I don't pvp.... tell me why i should (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=845531)

z3ndor99 09-04-2013 12:04 PM

I don't pvp.... tell me why i should

Well the title says all really. I've only been to kerrat once, i've only ever excepted a 1v1 invitation once and was crap ( to put it bluntly ), so if pvp is truly the endgame how do i start, who do i speak to, bootcamp maybe, are you pvper's really like what us pve'ers think you are? This is just a simple thread from a pve'er wanting more, cheers. :)

playhard88 09-04-2013 12:15 PM

Why? because is the only real challenge u can find in this game. Soon of latter u get bored of blow up borg cubes, and fight vs a real person is more challenging, and more important: is fun!!!

Two things:

1) 1vs1 is not pvp, is a team oriented game, 1vs1 is silly. I usually go 1vs1 only vs some kid that gets annoying, but in general you should always look for team games.

2) Kerrat can be fun, but is totaly diferent to arena, is a cloakers fest and most of the times one faction is outnumbering the other. It can be fun, but don't take it as a reference of what pvp is.

Pvp can be frustrating at the beggening. If u don't know the basics, u will blow up in a sec, so take this in mind: all that u know from playing pve, is useless in pvp

Where to start? First u need to know that each captian have a role in pvp, don't expect kill to many ppl if u are an eng in a crusier. Tacticals = dps, Eng = healer, Sci = Healer o Debuffer (u can mix think a little bit in some cases, but in general that is how roles work in pvp).

http://hilbertguide.com/
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=427091

Those are good starting point, the builds are for reference (and in some cases they are outdated, hilbert builds are outdated in terms of items). Bootcamp is ofc another good choise.

Make a build, post it here an we help you. Set up your keybinds and u are clear to go. If u can find some friends to play with it, better, playing solo vs organized teams can be frustrating. You can also join to OrganizedPvP channel for more info, and for find players for team up in queques.

Have a good ride

maicake716 09-04-2013 12:29 PM

if you dont pvp and have to be told why you should, then this games pvp probably isnt for you.

edalgo 09-04-2013 12:36 PM

First lesson and I quote, "You must unlearn what you have learned." yes I went there.

PvP is about teamwork and being efficient your role. DPSers, ganker, CC, healers and there's many ways to go about each role. You have to decide on a role you want to play first and foremost. Asking for help in order to PvP without a role in mind is like walking into a tattoo parlor and asking for a tattoo but don't know what you want... Not going to get good help if at all.

Bootcamp is a great start. Find people, friends list-fleet - random pvper (not all are Aholes and would be willing to help)

Be willing to be flexible and try new things and builds. To see if you like it you have to play with it for a while. Can't do 1 or 2 matches and hate it then go back to your PvE build. This is probably the biggest problem I come across when trying to help someone get into PvP .

Prepare to get frustrated. There are many people who have been PvPing since the start. There are players streamlined to Kill, heal, or shut you down so much you'll want to throw something. There's always someone who's better. But this is what makes PvP so awesome too. Teams are out there to blow you up and they can truly think/react and analyze to what you're doing but now you have to do the same.

There's so much variety in PvP. You'll never get the same match twice. This is not infected or cure where everything is so repetitive. Opponents could swap builds mid match and change tactics.

logicalspock 09-04-2013 12:46 PM

I started PvPing after playing STO for nearly two years simply because I ran out of content after grinding STFs to death and essentially becoming a "pro" at that, especially ground. If you are going to grind the same old content, you might as well fight a player that can think and adapt to your tactics, since it can add a new challenge every time.

dontdrunkimshoot 09-04-2013 01:00 PM

it seems like the only sane reason to grind, to get the best stuff. theres no reason to strive to get the best stuff if all your going to do is shoot nearly harmless npcs

and its infinitely more fun to fight another player that actually fights back, then it is to fight a mindless npc that does nothing to defend itself but fire off its weapons and abilities automatically

iconians 09-04-2013 01:00 PM

Because pvp is easy in STO compared to some other games that require skill, experience, and tactics. One-sided fights are extremely easy to come by, and the pvp dailies give you fleet mark and dilithium. All you have to do is enter a pvp match 3 times, wait for the inevitable one-sided slaughterfest and collect your money. It's a lot easier than doing STFs, and far more efficient.

If you want to be a "pro" at pvp, simply register in the pvp boot camp, join the OrganizedPvP channel, and use the current extremely abusive flavor-of-the-month build that hasn't been nerfed yet, get yourself a premade so you can enter the public queues and enjoy a roflstomp against a group of players that are either afking or want to get their dailies done asap so they can go do something else in the game. Then all you have to do is wait for the current flavor of the month to get nerfed out, and simply wait for the next one to be discovered, then use that until it gets nerfed as well.

Your skills at one-shotting lesser-skilled players are extremely high because of the extreme ease of pvp in STO, and given that Cryptic has paid minimal attention to pvp in the game, it's highly unlikely this formula of pvp success will change. There's no pvp leaderboards, and no tiered pvp system based on skill level or an Elo score. There's no ladder system.

If you struggle at dominating opponents or even winning any matches in games other than STO, then you can easily find success in STO's pvp system. STO is a PvE game first, and foremost. And it's extremely apparent in regards to their pvp system.

I mean if you aren't cut out for a professional sport, you can always show up at a kid's playground and become the king of hopscotch, then bask in your well-deserved glory.

z3ndor99 09-04-2013 01:02 PM

Thanks guys so far for your views and thoughts ( maicake716 a response like that is exactly what drives people away from pvp ). I think its time to knuckle down and start to raise my game!!! Lol.

rmy1081 09-04-2013 01:03 PM

I PvP because I want too. No one told me that I should or shouldn't PvP.

The first MMO I ever played I joined the PvP server because I didn't know what "PvP" meant. After leaving trainee island, I was almost instantly killed and at that moment I learned what PvP was. I didn't get mad or sad or whatever. I went out and killed the guy who killed me.

Since then I've played many other MMOs, both PvP and PvE. The biggest thing I've learned is the core of PvP is the same for every game. PvP isn't just player vs player, it's person vs person. You're not just fighting other people's skill and equipment, you're often put up against inflated egos, super competitive mentalities, sore losers, etc.

In order for me (at least) to enjoy PvP, I have to rise above all that crap and focus on my ability to play and and get better. I have to question each win and loss and try to figure out what worked and what didn't, and most importantly I have to be honest with myself about how well I played. In general, people who can't rise above it, tend to hate pvp or at least just get angry.

So, is pvp for you? You'll have to try it and see. If you do, don't let inflated egos, super competitive mentalities, sore losers, etc. get in your way. Try to play it for that excitement of not knowing what the other person is going to do, or the thrill of your first real victory, or the fun of improving your build and skill. Those, at least, are why I pvp.

ussultimatum 09-04-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z3ndor99 (Post 12261611)
Well the title says all really. I've only been to kerrat once, i've only ever excepted a 1v1 invitation once and was crap ( to put it bluntly ), so if pvp is truly the endgame how do i start, who do i speak to, bootcamp maybe, are you pvper's really like what us pve'ers think you are? This is just a simple thread from a pve'er wanting more, cheers. :)

how do i start

I think you already have, good on you for taking the first step. :)

who do i speak to, bootcamp maybe

Bootcamp would definitely be advised, to help you get the basics under your belt.

Read here on the forums, do some research on builds, roles and basic combat mechanics.

Ask in OrganizedPvP channel, its sometimes a mess in there but you can find people willing to help you but you also need to be willing to help and improve yourself so it requires some initiative.

Make friends!

are you pvper's really like what us pve'ers think you are?

Some are, some are not. You will find a wide range of personalities.

Don't let it deter you, one way or the other.