Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Duty Officer System and R&D (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=251)
-   -   Create-a-DOFF Contest? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=846871)

seniorkafei 09-05-2013 06:05 PM

Create-a-DOFF Contest?

I'm not sure if anything like this has ever been done before, but it could be a neat way to get some interesting new DOFFs out there, especially some of the creative 'alien' races that people come up with. I'd love to see more unique 'alien' DOFFs!

I think it'd be a fun way to get the community involved in something they love. Of course, there would have to be some guidelines on active powers (such as non-lockbox powers only, or some such) as well as traits to keep things balanced.

Contests like this aren't totally unheard of, and as the DOFF system has stagnated a bit, this could be a way to get some insight from the community about the system and what they'd like to see, as well as infuse some interest into it.

markhawkman 09-05-2013 07:23 PM

Of course the question here is what would be the rules of the contest. :D

bluegeek 09-06-2013 12:16 PM

I'm on board with this idea!

(Bear in mind, I'm a Mod, not a Dev, and have no power or authority to 'make it so'.)

I think it should be a VR or 'Unique' DOFF. Faction, name, custom description/quote to be provided by the contestants.

All of the races currently in use in the DOFF system should be fair game, with the addition of the 'Alien' choice, and contestants should submit an in-game headshot of the character (could be from the Foundry).

All of the standard specializations should also be fair game, but contestants should be free to suggest others.

Contestants should also suggest a set of traits appropriate for the character. They can only suggest traits which already exist in the DOFF Assignment system and are appropriate for the character's faction and race.

And it should go without saying that Cryptic/PWE would reserve the right to make any changes to the winning entries to make them suitable for gameplay.

One winning entry could be selected per faction. The winning entries would appear in a future lockbox or doff pack. The winners could get bragging rights in the form of an in-game title "Master Recruiter" or some such - nothing of monetary value to avoid the usual contest legal issues.

Whatdya think?

stoutes 09-06-2013 02:09 PM

I am Stoutes, and i approve of this thread!

My proposal ;)
Specialities:
50% chance to add 10% efficiency for 300 seconds

To self: +8 Attack pattern for 47 seconds

markhawkman 09-06-2013 05:44 PM

I'd use Enliss for mine. A (Borg) Vorta with Aggressive, Logical, Resilient, Telekinesis.

BTW, there already IS an Alien doff. :D Isis!

seniorkafei 09-07-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegeek (Post 12294521)
I'm on board with this idea!

(Bear in mind, I'm a Mod, not a Dev, and have no power or authority to 'make it so'.)

I think it should be a VR or 'Unique' DOFF. Faction, name, custom description/quote to be provided by the contestants.

All of the races currently in use in the DOFF system should be fair game, with the addition of the 'Alien' choice, and contestants should submit an in-game headshot of the character (could be from the Foundry).

All of the standard specializations should also be fair game, but contestants should be free to suggest others.

Contestants should also suggest a set of traits appropriate for the character. They can only suggest traits which already exist in the DOFF Assignment system and are appropriate for the character's faction and race.

And it should go without saying that Cryptic/PWE would reserve the right to make any changes to the winning entries to make them suitable for gameplay.

One winning entry could be selected per faction. The winning entries would appear in a future lockbox or doff pack. The winners could get bragging rights in the form of an in-game title "Master Recruiter" or some such - nothing of monetary value to avoid the usual contest legal issues.

Whatdya think?

Oh, I think that sounds wonderful, actually, though I think the winner should also get a free copy of their own doff. It'd be really neat to see what everyone comes up with, and I'd really love to see some more alien doffs, especially ones from something like this where a lot of thought is put into exactly how they should look and what their specialization and quote should be -- things like that.

Maybe it's a pipe dream, but it sounds like a good way to rally some ideas from the community, at the very least, and with minimal effort on PWE/Cryptic's part.

sussethrai 09-14-2013 07:29 PM

Grignall Morat. a Horta geologist
Efficient, Resilient, Peaceful, Eidetic Memory
+25% chance to increase damage of Exothermic Induction Field and Hyperonic Radiation
"One of my forebears survived eating through a door of solid neutronium. He had terrible indigestion for 2 weeks."

pwstolemyname 09-16-2013 02:04 AM

Mad Wee Ather.
Tiny Alien
Shield Distribution Officer
Aggressive, Stubborn, Unruly, Resilient

Halfs the hull repair of engineering team but adds shield redistribution.

'Not tall enough to ride, and mad as stovokor about it'

drowrulesupreme 09-16-2013 03:59 AM

Android Bartender (Soong-type)
Efficient, Eidetic Memory, Resilient, Logical
Based on the TNG episode where the whole crew loses their memories and Data ends up acting as the bartender in Ten-Forward.

"Alien" Tactical Officer - Kieran MacDuff
Unscrupulous, Aggressive, Unruly, Cunning
Same episode as above.

Capellan
Honourable, Stubborn, Resilient, Aggressive
I just really like Capellans.

thay8472 09-16-2013 09:31 AM

could be fun for the foundry guys too :)

Get some of our sneaky races into the game as doffs from the "Foundry Doff Pack" :P 250 Zen points :O