Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Starfleet Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=849871)

sampa4 09-09-2013 02:03 PM

Starfleet Academy

Ok, I was wondering. Why are we not able to use the Starfleet Academy map in the foundry? I really want to use it in my foundry mission for the beginning of the first episode but, currently, it is not available! Why is this?

nagorak 09-09-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampa4 (Post 12331221)
Ok, I was wondering. Why are we not able to use the Starfleet Academy map in the foundry? I really want to use it in my foundry mission for the beginning of the first episode but, currently, it is not available! Why is this?

They just haven't gotten around to adding it yet. It's not really for any particular reason. A lot of assets are missing for this reason.

thegreendragoon1 09-09-2013 02:08 PM

I don't think there's any particular reason other than it just one of many maps that never got added. With it being a social zone, it probably wasn't a priority.

What is it you're actually trying to do there?

drogyn1701 09-09-2013 02:11 PM

I think the gist is a request to have it hooked up for use as a Foundry map. Which I second.

sampa4 09-09-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 (Post 12331301)
I don't think there's any particular reason other than it just one of many maps that never got added. With it being a social zone, it probably wasn't a priority.

What is it you're actually trying to do there?

As part of the script (and, yes, I actually went and wrote out an actual script), I want to have the graduation ceremony for the player's son at the academy! Also, I want to have the reception there too!

starswordc 09-09-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampa4 (Post 12331391)
As part of the script (and, yes, I actually went and wrote out an actual script), I want to have the graduation ceremony for the player's son at the academy! Also, I want to have the reception there too!

Sorry to say, I can see two problems with this idea that have nothing to do with lacking Starfleet Academy.

First, the Foundry has no way to distinguish between player genders or species (which is something they should fix, but that's another conversation). To accommodate different player characters your son would have had to be adopted and not call you by either "Mom" or "Dad".

Second, PC backstory issues. How old is the player character? Is he/she single/married/married to the job/not wanting kids?

Could work it as an academy classmate's nephew or something like that, though.

sampa4 09-09-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starswordc (Post 12334651)
Sorry to say, I can see two problems with this idea that have nothing to do with lacking Starfleet Academy.

First, the Foundry has no way to distinguish between player genders or species (which is something they should fix, but that's another conversation). To accommodate different player characters your son would have had to be adopted and not call you by either "Mom" or "Dad".

Second, PC backstory issues. How old is the player character? Is he/she single/married/married to the job/not wanting kids?

Could work it as an academy classmate's nephew or something like that, though.

Well, the best I can answer those issues is the fact that my upcoming series essentially piggy-backs off of the ending of another foundry author's series (with his permission, of course). If you want to know the series, please play through dariuskoronikov's Starfleet Odyssey series!

thegreendragoon1 09-09-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampa4 (Post 12335361)
Well, the best I can answer those issues is the fact that my upcoming series essentially piggy-backs off of the ending of another foundry author's series (with his permission, of course). If you want to know the series, please play through dariuskoronikov's Starfleet Odyssey series!

As a general rule, it's dangerous to mess with the players backstory, many put a great deal of thought into the story of their captains. I'm not saying you can't experiment, just be prepared for the poor reviews from people who's backstories don't match your mission.

sampa4 09-09-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 (Post 12335721)
As a general rule, it's dangerous to mess with the players backstory, many put a great deal of thought into the story of their captains. I'm not saying you can't experiment, just be prepared for the poor reviews from people who's backstories don't match your mission.

I understand that, and, in a sense, the series that this series piggy-backs to simply ADDS a new section to the back story, not creating an all new one! Also, the graduation scene is designed to introduce some new, younger characters to the story!

isthisscience 09-09-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampa4 (Post 12336551)
I understand that, and, in a sense, the series that this series piggy-backs to simply ADDS a new section to the back story, not creating an all new one! Also, the graduation scene is designed to introduce some new, younger characters to the story!

I think you underestimate how detailed some players make their backstory. I'm not completely against such things, but other players will be, best add a notice on the mission giver that it requires RP beyond what the average player might be comfortable with - so anyone playing it can't turn around at the end and say they didn't expect it.

As for the issue, might want to use the social zone for a few conversations and lead into the graduation on an interior map. That's what I did with my second mission where I had the player talk to a number of cadets around the campus before going inside to an office for the rest which I couldn't do on the social map.