Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   how about a 23rd century only.. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=850991)

idontknow200 09-11-2013 02:28 AM

how about a 23rd century only..
 
he all.

how about having an only 23rd century area?? there would not be any galaxy,nebula,intrepid class ships or runabouts. there could be any amount of connies. since this is the 23rd century and the connie is a heavy cruiser. and I would like to see I the
uss archer is the archer class fast scout/destroyer. the nx class could get updated to destroyer/scout class ships???

be kind to all...

dknight0001 09-11-2013 02:48 AM

I don't think refitting this game to the TOS era is feasible.

Are you proposing an area where only T1 ships are allowed?

eulifdavis 09-11-2013 03:26 AM

How about not? This is 2409, not 22xx. :mad:

starkaos 09-11-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eulifdavis (Post 12356541)
How about not? This is 2409, not 22xx. :mad:

And some of us are not even sure if it is still 2409. Going from Ensign to Vice Admiral in less than a year seems a tad too fast even for Kirk.

The problem is that we already know the main points of the time between TOS and TNG so adding such an area would extremely limit what Cryptic can do for that zone. Can't have any of the new races so we would be limited to Romulan, Klingon, Gorn, Orion, and a few other races as opponents. This is why STO was set 30 years after Nemesis. Enough time for things to change in the galaxy and isn't limited to what Cryptic can do for storylines. They can introduce whatever ship, technology, planet, or race they want within reason and not have people complaining about the Voth weren't around in the 23rd Century or whatever complaint players can come up with.

sirokk 09-11-2013 11:59 AM

I too would like to "live" in the TOS era, fly the older ships... when they were top of the line.

I would pay for more TOS ships, especially if I had somewhere to fly them except for the Enemy Encounters that are -38 skill level.

If there was a zone that would admit only the lower tier ships (to avoid being a hunting ground for people in the higher tier ships) and have missions with the older enemies and challenges.

But you have to ask... how can Cryptic/PWE profit from this? It would have to be popular enough to have enough players that want to come here and want to pay for TOS era stuff. Not everyone identifies with TOS Star Trek series as "their" Star Trek as well.

The closest thing that we can get to this would be just to create Foundry episodes that are TOS-like somehow.

whamhammer1 09-11-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idontknow200 (Post 12356221)
he all.

how about having an only 23rd century area?? there would not be any galaxy,nebula,intrepid class ships or runabouts. there could be any amount of connies. since this is the 23rd century and the connie is a heavy cruiser. and I would like to see I the
uss archer is the archer class fast scout/destroyer. the nx class could get updated to destroyer/scout class ships???

be kind to all...

This isn't was STO is about, its about Nemisis +40 year time-frame. If another company wants to get permission from the IP holder to make a 23rd century MMO, that would be fine, but no need to have Cryptic create a pocket-universe to the 23rd century and limit player content.

P.S. Just so you know I am a big-time TOS/first six movies fan, so its not series hate.

edalgo 09-11-2013 12:29 PM

Maybe this could bea new map in pvp where you must be in a tier 2 ship in order to Q.

skollulfr 09-11-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starkaos (Post 12361141)
And some of us are not even sure if it is still 2409. Going from Ensign to Vice Admiral in less than a year seems a tad too fast even for Kirk.

perfectly feasable if you are talking about an organisation that is falling apart from direct aggression in its borders, military incursions right into the heart of its central industrial facilities, undine infiltrators in its command structure etc.

to be honest, the war is going very badly for the federation, far worse than is generally known. Starfleet Command believes that defeat is inevitable.

starswordc 09-11-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starkaos (Post 12361141)
The problem is that we already know the main points of the time between TOS and TNG so adding such an area would extremely limit what Cryptic can do for that zone. Can't have any of the new races so we would be limited to Romulan, Klingon, Gorn, Orion, and a few other races as opponents..

No, we're not. Sure, cut the Gamma and Delta Quadrant races for being too far away, but there's no reason the known AQ and BQ powers can't be in the game. Kirk, and therefore TOS, mostly stuck to the Romulan and Klingon border regions AFAIK and, for example, the Cardassians are on the complete opposite side of the Federation. Just because we never saw them doesn't mean they're not there.

starkaos 09-11-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starswordc (Post 12364281)
No, we're not. Sure, cut the Gamma and Delta Quadrant races for being too far away, but there's no reason the known AQ and BQ powers can't be in the game. Kirk, and therefore TOS, mostly stuck to the Romulan and Klingon border regions AFAIK and, for example, the Cardassians are on the complete opposite side of the Federation. Just because we never saw them doesn't mean they're not there.

Even if the Federation knew about Cardassians in the 23rd Century, if no hostile relations existed between Cardassians and the Federation until the 24th Century, then Cardassians can't be considered as a potential enemy for the Federation. So such a zone would be limited to enemies that were seen in TOS and Enterprise as long as the enemy in Enterprise is not an ally in TOS. Also such a zone should be limited to races that should belong there so no Bajorans or Liberated Borg.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 PM.