Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Sticking my head through the door (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=854351)

rinkster 09-15-2013 01:10 AM

Sticking my head through the door

Been playing STO for a couple of years now and only yesterday tried out PvP. I know, sad.

Ran four rounds at Kerrat, died twice, didn't actually get a kill but contributed to a few fiery balls of death.

I defintely need more practise.

To whit, is there a PvP channel? And if so, is it beginner friendly?

This is a part of the game that I'd dearly like to explore more......

renimalt 09-15-2013 01:40 AM

There're two main PvP channels at the moment:

OrganizedPvP (a.k.a. OPvP) - This is where general chat about PvP and other related items occurs. Exactly how beginner friendly it is depends on who's on at the moment, but it's usually a good place for information and help.
[To join this channel, type /channel_join OrganizedPvP in the chat box.]

Tyler Durden - This is a chat channel set up specifically to find people to team up with and against and to quickly organize matches. I haven't used it much, but reports say that it's fairly good at that purpose.
[To join this channel, type /channel_join Tyler Durden in the chat box.]

It's good to see someone new trying PvP; hope this helps you get integrated into the PvP community, and good luck in your matches. :)

mimey2 09-15-2013 01:49 AM

First off, welcome.

A few pointers to begin:

1. Take your time. There's no rush.

2. Be willing to handle some criticism and be open to new ideas.

3. Ask. If you don't ask, people usually won't tell because they might not know what you are looking for.

4. Look into joining PvP Bootcamp, it's a massive help and will give you a huge amount of information and such if you are willing to join it.

5. There is rarely a single answer to anything when you ask about it in regards to PvP. Person A might say one thing, while Person B might say another, Person C would say something different from A and B, while Person D might disagree on the entire matter in regards to A, B, and C.

The chat channels are OrganizedPvP, and Tyler Durden. OPvP is mostly chatty, not as much actually making matches, but if you have a question, generally someone will answer it. Tyler Durden is more about making matches, and is excellent at pretty much always having very fair and balanced teams to play against each other. OPvP may be a touch overwhelming to the beginning PvPer, more due to all the stuff that gets talked about more than anything.

I do recommend though that you keep your big questions and such to here on the forum, just because you can more easily look back at it, compared to the sometimes-quick scrolling chat box in the game.

So, ask away really.

Edit: Aww, got kinda ninja'd by Renim.

praxi5 09-15-2013 05:13 AM

If you get killed by something but don't know what, feel free to ask!

You can ask in Zone chat during the match, but most people don't really pay attention to that. Send a /tell to the person who killed you after the match asking, most people are happy to let you know what they did to you.

rinkster 09-15-2013 10:26 AM

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I shall be looking into both those channels soon.

I've been lurking these fora for some time now, as I consider PvP players to be the R+D division of STO.

It's clear to me that PvP is the real test in this game. PvE is fun and magical.......but the only way I'm going to find out if I really 'get it' is in PvP.
'
I co-lead a small fleet who, I know, would be interested in some group PvP in time. However right now we...er......well, let's just say we have a lot to learn.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all on the field.

Qapla, respect and pob lwc :)

aquitaine985 09-16-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinkster (Post 12414681)
Thanks for the replies, folks.

I shall be looking into both those channels soon.

I've been lurking these fora for some time now, as I consider PvP players to be the R+D division of STO.

It's clear to me that PvP is the real test in this game. PvE is fun and magical.......but the only way I'm going to find out if I really 'get it' is in PvP.
'
I co-lead a small fleet who, I know, would be interested in some group PvP in time. However right now we...er......well, let's just say we have a lot to learn.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all on the field.

Qapla, respect and pob lwc :)

Hey! Depending on the time zone you and your bunch operate in, you're all more then welcome to come and hang out on our TS, the PVP community is too small not to rub elbows!