Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Re-balancing the 'Need/Greed' rolls (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=854681)

predcon 09-15-2013 12:49 PM

Re-balancing the 'Need/Greed' rolls

There are two methods that are infinitely better than the current 'equipment grab' microgame, which seems to be designed around players actually being polite to each other.

The first is to apply a 'Diminishing Returns' effect to each successive 'Need' roll, which would cap the player's maximum roll score at a lower and lower number, until the player gets the idea and doesn't spam the 'Need' button anymore, and takes a few 'Greed', or even 'Pass' rolls (if the player is that hard up for EC, there's always repeatable Patrol and/or Foundry missions, the latter of which seem to drop more loot).

The second, more simple method would be to eliminate 'Need/Greed' entirely, and just display it as 'Want/Do Not Want'.

starswordc 09-15-2013 01:34 PM

Additional suggestion: Give modifiers to the roll based on PC level relative to the item in question. So, for example, a Vice Admiral (50) would roll poorer on Mk IV gear than a Lieutenant Commander (25), and vice versa on Mk XII gear. This would make characters more likely to get gear they can actually use.

ursusmorologus 09-15-2013 01:43 PM

Here's a simple mechanic: Keep a tally of the number of rolls since the player last won an item. Whenever the user clicks the "need" button, add the running tally to the current roll value. If the user clicks "greed" or "pass" simply increment the tally. If the user wins the lottery, reset the runnng tally to zero.

The result is "Passing" frequently will cause your bonus score to continually rise, giving you incrementally better chance at winning a "need". Clicking "greed" often will result in more frequent wins, but your "need" bonus will also remain low.

marshalericdavid 09-15-2013 01:53 PM

I personally think only someone who did damage to something should get loot from what was destroyed. If something was destroyed and no one did any damage to it they should not have a chance at any drops.

starswordc 09-15-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshalericdavid (Post 12417061)
I personally think only someone who did damage to something should get loot from what was destroyed. If something was destroyed and no one did any damage to it they should not have a chance at any drops.

Awesome! That would certainly solve the problem of AFK loot farming.

rylanadionysis 09-15-2013 08:32 PM

just randomize everything

markhawkman 09-15-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rylanadionysis (Post 12419881)
just randomize everything

My personal favorite of the loot distribution systems that the game has is "Round Robin". In Round Robin, the game cycles between players so that everyone gets something. It's still luck whether you get the purples, but at least you don't have to deal with those annoying need/greed text boxes... Ugh... I hate those. Missions proceed so much smoother when you don't need to bother with those worthless things.

But I digress.... The key flaw with need/greed is that there is no downside to clicking Need. One Idea that I've heard in the past was to make it so people had "need points". You start the match with 3. Each time you click "Need" it costs 3. You get 1 Need point each time you click on either greed or pass.

cryptkeeper0 09-15-2013 09:48 PM

Just make the loot separate drops where you only see and pick up drops for you...

markhawkman 09-15-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptkeeper0 (Post 12420311)
Just make the loot separate drops where you only see and pick up drops for you...

There's an option for that too. I think it's called "Free for all". But... I'm not sure if you can change the loot system used for STFs at all. :( In regular teamups, the team leader can set the loot style.

dknight0001 09-16-2013 02:10 AM

My adjustment is simple.

Make Need Bind it to the Character, and make it worth 0 EC.

Greed means you can sell it on the exchange or to a Vendor. Need means I intend to equip it right now.

Oh and this change would see people whinging for weeks about everybody still hitting need on everything and the people who don't read patch notes complaining their loot is bugged. But after awhile I think the guy hitting Need on Tac console will be the guy using that flavour of weapons.