Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Confusing 'Inappropriate Terms' (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=859231)

turbomagnus 09-20-2013 04:22 PM

Confusing 'Inappropriate Terms'

What I mean by this is that, several times, I've went to name a ship and even though it's a simple, clean word, been informed of that name being banned for being inappropriate. For safety's sake, I will not post any of the names that I recieved that message regarding...

I would, however, like to ask what criteria is used to determine whether or note a character or ship's name is 'appropriate'.

thecosmic1 09-20-2013 04:25 PM

Well, you have the IP proprietary names like Enterprise that can't be used. Then you have names which are already used in the game. Then you have the curse words that can't be used. Then you have inappropriate words from other languages that generally can't be used, and so on. Without knowing what the word was it's hard to say why it might have not been allowed.

crusty8mac 09-20-2013 04:28 PM

I was naming my science captain's BOffs after diseases. Some venereal diseases don't fly, some do. Go figure.

turbomagnus 09-20-2013 04:34 PM

Well, risking all here...

The first time I noticed it, I was going to name an Oberth-class Sci vessel "U.S.S. Crane" after the species of bird.

thecosmic1 09-20-2013 04:37 PM

Crane doesn't seem unusual. Are you trying to rename a ship you've already renamed? IIRC, you only get 1 rename and are required to pay for additional name changes. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head; or there's some type of restriction for Silver players.

kamenriderzero1 09-20-2013 04:44 PM

The filter includes the USS for some reason. So if you wanted to call your ship the hit...

meimeitoo 09-20-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamenriderzero1 (Post 12493721)
The filter includes the USS for some reason.

I'm not sure they do. But would be nice if they did, actually: Registry designations should not be part of what you call your ship; otherwise you get fugly things like "U.S.S. U.S.S. Crane."

questerius 09-20-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbomagnus (Post 12493591)
Well, risking all here...

The first time I noticed it, I was going to name an Oberth-class Sci vessel "U.S.S. Crane" after the species of bird.

Also check the urban dictionary.:eek:

turbomagnus 09-20-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by questerius (Post 12494631)
Also check the urban dictionary.:eek:

Okay, thank you. Finally, a response that's an answer rather than an assumption that I actually typed "U.S.S." in the name field instead of considering the possibility that I was referring to the ship as having the prefix...

I'll have to go look this up, but again, thank you for a clear answer.

jonsills 09-20-2013 06:00 PM

"Scrane" is... pretty flipping obscure.