Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   How Do You Make Your Mission Romulan Friendly? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=865831)

lincolninspace 09-27-2013 08:20 PM

How Do You Make Your Mission Romulan Friendly?

Ok I am noticing people are labelling missions as Romulan friendly, that is while they are not written specifically for Romulan players they can be played by Klinks/ Feds and Romulans. What are all the boxes that must be checked to make your mission Romulan friendly?

Off the top of my head:

1. You cannot have the mission take place on the players ship
2. It cannot be in any social zone where Romulans are not permitted.
3. The Rank of the player must be fill in dialog instead of just writing Captain.
4. You may need to add more dialog options to accomodate Romulan players.

What are your thoughts?

bazag 09-27-2013 08:36 PM

4. is definately a big must. Being able to provide a romulan perspective on a fed/Kdf mission is important.

3. Eh, not so much. You are still the Captain of a ship, It's a position not a rank.

Another one, 5, Have the ability for characters to react you differently if you choose the Romulan options.

lincolninspace 09-27-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazag (Post 12606071)
4. is definately a big must. Being able to provide a romulan perspective on a fed/Kdf mission is important.

3. Eh, not so much. You are still the Captain of a ship, It's a position not a rank.

Another one, 5, Have the ability for characters to react you differently if you choose the Romulan options.

Ok... I thought the rank system on Romulan ships was Commander, sub commander and so on. There are only a handful of trek episodes for me to go on.

5. That is a good one.

My mission starts with you catching up with an old teacher from your academy days so I am guessing this would lose the Romulan friendly tag....

drogyn1701 09-27-2013 09:37 PM

No Lincoln is correct. Calling someone "Captain" if they command a ship regardless of rank is a Human tradition. There's no evidence to suggest Romulans observe it as well. You're better off using [Rank].

adverbero 09-28-2013 02:31 AM

Dialogue options sound good

But it would be a task to make them sound properly romulan i guess, Would take time to get the culture right perhaps

isthisscience 09-28-2013 07:31 AM

You also have references to Starfleet and Federation that you need to be careful of. Examples would be "report to Starfleet", "you Federation types" etc. etc. Plus when someone grants you the mission, it reason needs to make sense if you're not Federation. Any characters from your ship also are risky due to uniform and race.

Second, references to Romulans. If they're always about Romulans in third person then it makes it sound like you're not one.

thegreendragoon1 09-28-2013 12:28 PM

There's also the issue that the Romulans are not bound by certain things such as the prime directive. So a lot of the moral issues that might plague a Starfleet captain are a non-issue for Republic Captains.

Vice versa, a Romulan rarely chooses a frontal assault like a Klingon would, prefering strategy and cunning. While both groups value duty, a Klingon will take the "we will destroy our enemies in glorious battle" approach, while a Romulan will take the "can we get our enemies to blow themselves up" approach.

lincolninspace 09-28-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 (Post 12614451)
There's also the issue that the Romulans are not bound by certain things such as the prime directive. So a lot of the moral issues that might plague a Starfleet captain are a non-issue for Republic Captains.

Vice versa, a Romulan rarely chooses a frontal assault like a Klingon would, prefering strategy and cunning. While both groups value duty, a Klingon will take the "we will destroy our enemies in glorious battle" approach, while a Romulan will take the "can we get our enemies to blow themselves up" approach.

This is some good insight into the Romulan character. I have not got very far into th Romulan storyline, but so far I have not found that that the characters acted peculiarly Romulan like in TNG and DS9. They are more like frontiersmen and women. I find this kind of refreshing since Romulans and other races have been painted with too wide of a brush in the tv shows. If they were real races it would be racial stereotyping. Ie Romulans always backstab, Ferengi are greedy and sexist, Cardassians are liars etc.

wombat140 09-28-2013 02:39 PM

Occurred to me, too. It seems particularly weird given Star Trek's preoccupation with racial equality, that in fact nearly all the alien species in it come across as one-note caricatures! (In one RP thread on the Firefly Fleet website I'm currently playing a good Lethean. Why not? I don't say he might not be at daggers drawn with any one of the other characters by the end, but that goes for everyone in that particular thread...)

If you take the Romulans as basically a rip-off of Ancient Rome, that gives you a very wide range of possibilities there and then, from the (alleged) virtues of the Republic to the worst of the Emperors (allegedly) stabbing each other in the back, and you still have some kind of unifying theme to keep hold of in either case.

adverbero 09-28-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombat140 (Post 12616141)
Occurred to me, too. It seems particularly weird given Star Trek's preoccupation with racial equality, that in fact nearly all the alien species in it come across as one-note caricatures! (In one RP thread on the Firefly Fleet website I'm currently playing a good Lethean. Why not? I don't say he might not be at daggers drawn with any one of the other characters by the end, but that goes for everyone in that particular thread...)

If you take the Romulans as basically a rip-off of Ancient Rome, that gives you a very wide range of possibilities there and then, from the (alleged) virtues of the Republic to the worst of the Emperors (allegedly) stabbing each other in the back, and you still have some kind of unifying theme to keep hold of in either case.

this makes me want to brush up on my knowledge of Romes History, they had some interesting leaders who could make good inspiration for romulan characters , from the utterly mad ones to the more military minded ones, good stock of ideas there