Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   You've been handed the keys to the franchise... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=868801)

twg042370 10-01-2013 08:57 AM

You've been handed the keys to the franchise...

I always like reading these threads. So tell me about the Star Trek TV show you're going to helm.

Try to not to post a wall of text if you can help it. Just the era, background, cast, and general aim for the series.

Me;

Era- Similar time frame as STO: A few decades after Nemesis. That way any guests from the TNG era of shows won't look out of place now that they're older. (Avoiding what happened in the final episode of Enterprise with Riker.)

Background- The Federation, Klingon Empire, and RSE fell on tough economic times after all the wars and magic supernovae got through with them. While all three powers joined together as an economic union, the internal fighting threatens that. A reformed and more economically-minded Cardassian Union has become the dominant regional power. How will these former super powers adjust to a life that's no longer on top of the food chain? Will their fears threaten to weaken them further?

Cast - The ship is a long mission patrol vessel armed with the latest versions of the technology Voyager returned home with. Crew is a diverse collection of the regional powers. Unlike the other Trek shows, the ship is not human male centric. While they all share the same goals of protecting the borders of the economic union from the powers that pick away at it's edges, they're not always on the same page as to how to do it.

The general aim of the series- Simply to reflect upon and comment on the world we live in like all good SF should.

Yours?

collegepark2151 10-01-2013 09:13 AM

Set 200 years after Nemesis. Everyone from the all the previous series is dead and gone. No continuity concerns. JJ Trek was resolved and eliminated by a temporal inversion. Back to the prime universe.

The Borg are gone. The Federation is expanding into the Delta Quadrant and starting to make their first long term exploration voyages to other galaxies. Hero ship is a Galaxy-esque class cruiser keeping the peace in the Delta Quadrant. Weekly stories revolve around the changes that have happened to the native Delta Quadrant races since Voyager passed through and the occasional threat from the newly militant Dominion who has also started to spread into the Delta Quadrant. Nothing too preachy. Kind of a TNG/DS9 hybrid series. Exploration with the occasional epic space battle.

redsnake721 10-01-2013 09:23 AM

CGI Animated siries based on section 31. Lots of sex, action and violence, Pew, Pew. Unsantioned Tech. Criminal underground, assinations. Hitmen. You get the picture.

starswordc 10-01-2013 09:39 AM

Here's a repost of what I said in the Roberto Orci thread:

I was thinking a while back of something set post-STO (taking the game's storylines into account would be awesome), maybe late 25th- early-26th century, where the Federation's many wars in the STO timeframe have eventually led to it collapsing, and the Enterprise-G or whomever is part of remnant forces trying to reconstruct it.

Provided they spring for a decent writing team, it'll be dark and dramatic, with plenty of opportunities for classic Star Trek ethical dilemmas (especially around, do we continue to uphold things like the Prime Directive when it means the death of the Federation, not just inconvenience for us?) and a tension about maintaining Star Trek's hopeful tone in the face of annihilation.

The idea borrows more than a few themes from what I envision Voyager would've been had the writing team been more careful and had the network not decided they wanted a TNG-like show. (For example, the whole idea of fusing Maquis and Starfleet crews was to create a source of interpersonal conflict and factionalism for plots. Apart from a few brief instances in season 1 this was completely ignored at the behest of a TNG-like-ratings-seeking network that saw the TNG crew not having internal conflict.)

What I had in mind was something like Star Trek crossed with the Rebel Alliance and parts of BSG. Unlike ENT and VOY the heroes aren't the only ship out there, but part of a small resistance group. They work alone most of the time, but they also fight the occasional major fleet action and work to liberate worlds and build coalitions by equal parts diplomacy and guerrilla tactics.

What they don't have is lots of redshirts and spare ships they can throw around (at least not if the writers want to improve on the USS Reset Button silliness that VOY frequently had). Stuff like supply problems and crew cracking under stress should be recurring plots, and control of repair facilities a major priority. Exploration would be purposeful rather than for its own sake, searches for new allies and other resources to help restore the Federation (think Stargate SG-1, not TNG).

mcduffie369 10-01-2013 09:39 AM

I would make a random tv show in which every episode was different. Say one episode was about a Klingon warrior on his home world and his domestic life with his fat, abusive, Klingon wife! Or another show was about some lost borg who rediscover their humanity! It could be a mini series!

ashkrik23 10-01-2013 09:43 AM

I would like to make a next-gen era show in the JJ universe. It would also be neat to do spin-off series on particular species. Klingon show, Caitian/Ferasan show just to name a few.

turbomagnus 10-01-2013 09:55 AM

"These are the voyages... of a starship other than the Enterprise - whatever letter they're on now... It's continuing mission, to try to get away with being as un-Starfleet-like as possible without the Admiralty catching on or whatever new lifeforms and new civilizations we meet this week killing us. To boldly go as far away from danger as possible and still look like we're exploring the galaxy instead of sneaking off to Risa whenever possible..."

If anyone's a 40k fan and read the Ciaphas Cain books... or seen the movie "Down Periscope"... or remembers the show "McHale's Navy"... imagine a crew like that; the captain is only a captain because it would look bad for "Uncle Admiral's" nephew to be demoted, the first officer is a con-man and blackmarketeer, the tactical officer is trigger-happy and paranoid ("They come in peace - shoot to kill!"), the Chief Engineer has an extensive collection of 'For Dummies' books, the CMO is more interested in playing Doctor than being a doctor...

And, of course, there's the unavoidable one person on board who is spit-and-polish by-the-book regulation Starfleet.

And yet, somehow, despite all of this and lacking the "God protects fools, children and ships named Enterprise (and appearantly Voyager)" plot shield, they seem to survive and even come out on top each week.

It would be post-Dominion War, maybe even up to STO era (with the occasional reference to the game like "Helm, set course for Drozana - Comet Cocktails for all and I'm paying".)... and just for fun, stick them in the only existing 'Yeager-type' Intrepid in existance, a ship too well-bodged together to take apart and so ugly nobody wants to be assigned to it.

drogyn1701 10-01-2013 09:59 AM

I would get the crew from Starz' "Spartacus" and make a highly-stylized show about Kahless. Imagine an R-rated show about ancient Klingon warriors full of sex and violence! You could tell all the stories about Kahless and his brother and the tyrant Molor, all with slo-mo bat'leth fighting (and obviously better choreography than they had on previous Trek shows. You could tell all those stories Worf talked about in true embellished Klingon style.

iconians 10-01-2013 10:40 AM

I'd make a STO spin-off series.

"Everybody Loves Tovan"

Starring Ashton Kutcher as Tovan Khev.

Kathie Griffin as Rinna Khev.

Michael Cera as Slamek.

David Schwimmer as Colonel Hakeev.

jonsills 10-01-2013 11:09 AM

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but it's an idea I tried to throw around just after VOY died.

Set just after the end of VOY, another Intrepid-class long-range exploration vessel, the USS Meriwether Lewis, explores the Gamma Quadrant. Hearkens back to the glory days of TOS - no immediate backup, Starfleet's up to a week away even by hyperchannel, the captain is on his/her own a lot (although still has to justify everything to Command later, so not too far off the reservation...). Every so often, they'll need to make a trip back to DS9 for resupply, although probably also setting up supply caches as they explore the quadrant (so they don't have to stay within a few days of the wormhole at all times).

What is the political situation in the quadrant like, now that the Founders have withdrawn to the Great Link for a time? Are there rogue Jem'Hadar who refuse to accept the surrender? Vorta who have become disillusioned with their gods, and if so, what form does their apostasy take? What foes kept the Jem'Hadar sharp, and the Founders on their guard, before the Wormhole brought them into contact with the Federation?

(Remember, the novels are non-canon - as far as canonical sources, the quadrant's completely open. Minimal continuity snarls possible, unlike Alpha Quadrant.)