Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Nukara Prime: Self-destructive tendencies (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=874981)

gurugeorge 10-08-2013 05:43 AM

Nukara Prime: Self-destructive tendencies

Has anyone ever been in a PUG where they've succeeded in this? Every team I've been in, we've all been busy killing the incoming Tholians with weapons plus all the little tricks available on the consoles, and on many occasions we haven't even been swarmed (i.e. as soon as the spiders appear, we get rid of them before they get to the platform), but I haven't been in a PUG that's won it yet. I'm sick of seeing those giant, looming spider-legs at the end cutscene.

This is getting me neurotic and twitchy. Is there a special knack to it, if so what?

TIA

deaftravis05 10-08-2013 06:01 AM

1. stay in your positions
2. don't run around.
3. use the consoles
4. spam abilities
5. revive fallen players, asap.
6. have the 5th float

ursusmorologus 10-08-2013 07:29 AM

Yeah I have won it on pugs a few times, probably 50/50 chance. I won it in a 4-man pug once

The principle strategy is to setup a zone defense, with a combination of weapons and consoles for maximum effect. The #1 reason for losing is because people run around shooting each others spawn and then a flank gets overrun.

You also need to learn the timing of the different consoles. The explosives are instant and can wipe out large groups all at once but take a long time to prep, so when a kid runs around hitting all the consoles they just lost the map for you. The thermal/refrigeration console is very effective overall and requires the least support. The phaser console works fast but doesnt kill very quickly, luckily it covers a small zone so it doesnt need to be that great. The holodeck console doesnt work for anything, and so that flank is the hardest to defend. The warp plasma console only covers the doorway area and doesnt cover the corner area. Because of all that, the best zone coverage is put two players on the holodeck corner so that there is enough firepower to cover both of those flanks (because the consoles cant), and 1 player on the other corners. Cover your zone.

Use good armor, not the cheapest suit you could find
The CRM2000 from the Breen missions is pretty gun, so are the Omega rep guns, no shotguns please
2 on the holodeck corner, 1 on each of the other corners
STAY AT YOUR STATION and cover your zone
Time the consoles

asmodeus451 10-08-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursusmorologus (Post 12767461)
Yeah I have won it on pugs a few times, probably 50/50 chance. I won it in a 4-man pug once

The principle strategy is to setup a zone defense, with a combination of weapons and consoles for maximum effect. The #1 reason for losing is because people run around shooting each others spawn and then a flank gets overrun.

You also need to learn the timing of the different consoles. The explosives are instant and can wipe out large groups all at once but take a long time to prep, so when a kid runs around hitting all the consoles they just lost the map for you. The thermal/refrigeration console is very effective overall and requires the least support. The phaser console works fast but doesnt kill very quickly, luckily it covers a small zone so it doesnt need to be that great. The holodeck console doesnt work for anything, and so that flank is the hardest to defend. The warp plasma console only covers the doorway area and doesnt cover the corner area. Because of all that, the best zone coverage is put two players on the holodeck corner so that there is enough firepower to cover both of those flanks (because the consoles cant), and 1 player on the other corners. Cover your zone.

Use good armor, not the cheapest suit you could find
The CRM2000 from the Breen missions is pretty gun, so are the Omega rep guns, no shotguns please
2 on the holodeck corner, 1 on each of the other corners
STAY AT YOUR STATION and cover your zone
Time the consoles

quoting this, cuz it works.

i've been in PUGs that knew how to do it, and got it done easily and smoothly

i've been in alot more PUGs that didnt, and we all got slaughtered or the core was destroyed

the problem is ppl ont know how to run it, and its a damn shame

markhawkman 10-08-2013 08:20 AM

I've had very good results using the Jem'Hadar rifle for this.

Oh and, ENG need to pre the mission by placing their cover shields to protect the core.

And look behind you, those Radiation crystals some of the Tholians can spawn are more dangerous than their beam attacks.

kurgis1 10-08-2013 02:00 PM

All the advice here is good - I would also add that healing stims etc are all useful here - if you do have a roamer probably best its a Sci if poss with a healing kit.

Key for me on successful runs was good eng placement of shields - if all goes correct the eng will have to replace the shield once during the fight (and really should do it as well)

Similar to the above i'd say pug wise it was 60/40 - 50/50 success and all my toons pugged it (12) during 3 hr bonus marks time

Edit: You don't need Engs to be successful to run this - good engs just make it go smoothly.

zordar01 10-08-2013 03:19 PM

Did the Nukara hards get beefed up after LoR? I did them solely with pugs and never failed. I haven't gone to Nukara since LoR, though. And granted, LoR probably brought in a lot of new blood that didn't know the routine for Nukara hards.

ficr 10-08-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zordar01 (Post 12779891)
Did the Nukara hards get beefed up after LoR? I did them solely with pugs and never failed. I haven't gone to Nukara since LoR, though. And granted, LoR probably brought in a lot of new blood that didn't know the routine for Nukara hards.

Prior to patching you could win with superior numbers. They also removed fleet marks and lowered the rewards in the boxes. PUGs by definition are more of a zerg then strategy.

Farmers moved on to Elite Crystal.

gurugeorge 10-08-2013 04:38 PM

Thanks for the advices, I've won on 2 occasions now in PUGs by giving the advice at the start and the team sticking to it.

It's pretty obvious really, there are too many Tholians to kill with just guns, you HAVE to use the combined AoEs from the consoles, and you have to be pretty good with the timing of setting them off. Gunfire and the "float" takes care of any stragglers and accidental console mis-timings. Easy really.

Thanks again!

crusty8mac 10-08-2013 05:39 PM

Completed it many times in PUGs. I always try to say something like "consoles are your friends", or "grab a console everyone" at the beginning.