Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Borg shield neutralizer got a massive ninja buff (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=881621)

rodentmaster 10-14-2013 01:42 AM

Borg shield neutralizer got a massive ninja buff

In sector encounters and in STFs and ESTFs, the borg shield neutralizer has been freakishly buffed to absurd levels. No matter HOW much shields you have, including mkXII maco and the best shields in the game on a ship with a good shield modifier, your entire ship is shieldless in 2 seconds flat. IF (big if) you can hit hazard emitters fast enough to save SOME shred of your shields, it doesn't matter because borg ships were throwing it around with super fast cooldowns. You'd be hit again and still have 30 seconds of HE cooldown left.

Not that it matters, since inside 2 seconds your shields are down again.

Seems to be mostly from cubes. Unimatrix fires it but not so rapid-fire, though it still drains super fast. Spheres still fire it, but hard to tell how rapidly it's being fired since they come in groups and it could be coming from multiple ships instead of just one.

Seriously, cryptic, change it back. This is nonsense. It's not just happening to me, either. I was seeing people next to me go from full to no shields in 2-3 seconds from the neutralizer as well. About 75% of the time in the past couple days I've been fighting nearly shieldless.

reyan01 10-14-2013 02:06 AM

To be honest, I don't have too much of a problem when hit by ONE, but that seldom occurs anymore - usually get hit by three or four.

Same with their tachyon beams - seldom ever get hit by one sphere shooting it, more often that not get two or three.

Power insulators can only do so much...

stoutes 10-14-2013 02:10 AM

Okay.... That explains quite a bit.

I noticed this as well flying my fleet defiant yesterday; in ISE and Ker'rat as well. My shields are gone in seconds. Not to mention hull heal as well, even with a human crew, XII neut's and embassy fleet consoles (HuH) my hull didn't or barely wanted to heal.

reyan01 10-14-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoutes (Post 12890061)
Okay.... That explains quite a bit.

I noticed this as well flying my fleet defiant yesterday; in ISE and Ker'rat as well. My shields are gone in seconds. Not to mention hull heal as well, even with a human crew, XII neut's and embassy fleet consoles (HuH) my hull didn't or barely wanted to heal.

Yeah - I can live with these missions being more difficult, and am therefore hesitant to complain too much, but it does sort of suck when you get smacked by two or three shield neutralisers from a cube/unimatrix ship AND two or three tachyon beams from the spehers etc.

Anyway, we shall wait until the inevitable 'you are doing it wrong' posts appear.

alexlancos 10-14-2013 03:08 AM

It might be possible that the recent sci buff that made aux work on some skills could have affected the cubes, theorically, shield neutraliser gets a buff from cube's aux, and since they seemingly have lot lot points in flow caps (just compare a player's tachyon with standard sphere's), the xtra aux buff could result in such insane drains

blasterpt00 10-14-2013 04:17 AM

how can we obtain those kind of shields?
Are those only for borgs or can be buyed with dithilium/zen?
I need to know, pls...

reyan01 10-14-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blasterpt00 (Post 12890791)
how can we obtain those kind of shields?
Are those only for borgs or can be buyed with dithilium/zen?
I need to know, pls...

Which shields? The Adapted MACO?

Obtainable via the Omega Reputation system.

fonz71 10-14-2013 09:29 AM

whenever possible, when fighting borg, i try to have 2 copies of HE.

yes the drain is insane, yes they stack them up on you quickly. best defense to that is try not to be in the vicinity of more than a cube or two at a time. easier said than done i know, but situational awareness is the ticket.

anyway hf\kill bad guys :)

oh ya, or blow them up very quickly :D

eatsmart 10-14-2013 09:34 AM

Another counter is a warp core doff with the % chance to purge all debuffs when activating an emergency power to x ability. If you're poor grab a low quality one.

rodentmaster 10-14-2013 09:40 AM

1) not all ships can run 2x HE.

2) you shouldn't HAVE to run rare and expensive 1-off doffs just to keep up with the patch from a couple of days ago

3) the NPCs don't HAVE energy levels. Not like we do. Energy drain for them does nothing, for example. It's not that they have a high aux level to boost their attacks -- they use a totally different attack. It just IS, all by itself. There's a massive double standard at work with NPCs vs players. So no, that can't be simply that they are getting an aux boost.

This REALLY needs to be reverted. This game is not meant to be played shield-less, or else there would be no shields at all.