Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   No auto attack in ground combat. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=88681)

Archived Post 01-29-2010 01:21 PM

No auto attack in ground combat.

Am I expected to click 20-30 times per battle now?

Archived Post 01-29-2010 01:46 PM

I know, I hope this is just a bug and that they are working on it. If it was taken out on purpose though I am begging you...PLEASE bring it back. I am going to wear the number off of the "1" key trying to fire that phaser.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 04:58 PM

I was just coming to post a topic on this. I know for a fact there was autofire for your basic attack in the open beta, they need to fix this ASAP, it is even worse than only having one front and rear weapon autofire for space combat.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 05:02 PM

They removed it from ground (supposedly to make it more 'gamey' -not my opinion- just some idiot at Cryptic or Atari that thinks madly tapping a button is fun nowadays) and added it to Space (where it doesn't work at all for anyhting I've seen - Auto firing is 1 forward and 1 rearward and there is no way to toggle the Autofire except by right clicking each of the autofiring weapons).

Personally I always used maintain and it was nice so long as you didn't need to fire something else (then you'd have to release or you couldn't except for melee), it never worked in space even though Space is just Speeder pants version of Ground with a different HUD and keybind & control setting template swap (essentially you switch to a different 'costume' and change some macros to alter the interpretation of a few commands - players were doing that in Champions Online to flesh out there characters).

Archived Post 01-29-2010 05:04 PM

Not a bug sadly. there are a few other threads about this and in one somone linked to the patch notes where they state they too it out on purpose. No reason given..

Its crazy. its the first change i really have a problem with since OB. we need AF on ground.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 05:05 PM

I heard a rumor that some people were using auto fire as a game exploit to 'auto level' and therefor it was disabled. Dunno if that's the real reason or not.

Gotta build a macro or something, no auto fire sucks.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas771
I heard a rumor that some people were using auto fire as a game exploit to 'auto level' and therefor it was disabled. Dunno if that's the real reason or not.

Gotta build a macro or something, no auto fire sucks.

I seriously doubt it.

There's only a few ground missions I can think of in the first 17 levels where that would even be possible and none of them is a random mission (only 1 gives skillpoints/experience for kills - the tutorials don't give skill pts for kills just advancing the mission and the 1 non-tutorial is a storyline mission not a random mission). Most ground maps have static spawns (meaning you kill them once and they don't respawn again for the duration of the mission).

Furthermore, the time it would take to actually level that way would only be useful to a botter/gold farmer who are fully capable of ignoring the 'exploit' (macros, scripts, etc.) - regardless of the change. Ie. most players could complete around 3 missions in the time it would take to get 100 skillpoints that way (less than the reward for a low level random mission).

So basically all they did is make the interface require more work to use than before.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 05:37 PM

the reason was that autofire interfered horribly with your other attacks and abilities. it simply wasn't usable. (I had a bug where I could autofire my weapons on one of my characters all the way up to the close of open beta).

Simply put, if a weapon was on autofire, it had priority over anything else you wanted to do.. and you only had around half a second -when the weapon was on cooldown- in which to time an ability in order for it to not get an error-beep. it was extremely frustrating.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleriel
the reason was that autofire interfered horribly with your other attacks and abilities. it simply wasn't usable. (I had a bug where I could autofire my weapons on one of my characters all the way up to the close of open beta).

Simply put, if a weapon was on autofire, it had priority over anything else you wanted to do.. and you only had around half a second -when the weapon was on cooldown- in which to time an ability in order for it to not get an error-beep. it was extremely frustrating.

Thats been the case since Champions Online. I don't doubt its annoying and frustrating - I know it is, but thats really a coding problem not a design flaw. Getting rid of it doesn't solve the problem (you still have autofire in space and most of the movement controls are essentially autofires). Heck, I have the interact and some of static bindings (that I can't get rid of) fire off while doing other things and have no interest in using those commands.

Simple fact about Cryptic is that there UI's (specifically Input handling) is extremely poor. Plus the game design actually emphasizes the UI functionality which just makes things worse.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 09:06 PM

Seriously if it was bothering someone that much couldn't they just move their mouse down there and click it again to turn it off? Just cause it is available doesn't mean you are required to use it. I hope someone important is listening. This is kinda sucking the fun out of the game. I don't have time to roll or dodge I am to busy spamming. PLEASE FIX THIS!