Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Klingon Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   possible future for klingons? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=886861)

captainpirko 10-19-2013 12:43 AM

possible future for klingons?

You know, i honestly dont know how most of the klingon players will like this.... romulans might not be too giddy about it either, but this is just an idea i had when i was bored and couldnt get to sleep.

so, we all know that no matter how much Cryptic keeps trying to deny it, the Klingon faction isnt complete by any stretch of the imagination. and romulans arent actually a real faction, but a unique character customization that can choose between klingon or federation. we all know that it'll be season 10 before klingons can be considered equal ground with the federation, and by then the feddies will have something new added just for them that wont make any sense and will show cryptic really doesnt care about the KDF.

then we got another element to this line of silliness. did you guys know we're at war with the federation? yeah me neither. well there's what happens in eta, but then again even the federation has war games against other federation. point is, when you finish the first few story missions, and leave the neutral zone, you wouldnt even know the federation and KDF are enemies. with new romulus, the borg, tholians, probably the voth too, almost all the time you're working WITH the federation, not against them. is there a war going on? i dont think so, not anymore.

okay crazy pirko, where are you going with this?

what if the KDF was changed to be like romulans? that at level 50 or something we become allies with the federation. we have our unique KDF ships, qo'nos, and the laughable supply of exclusive content for us, but we'd still be able to go to our "allies" home of earth, socialize with the local human silliness, and we can finally get over the most annoying gameplay mechanic of being unable to invite cross faction to a team, even though once you go into ISE, you'll be best of friends anyway.
gameplay wise, this wouldnt change much for the KDF. we'd still be ripped off by cryptic, still have a reason for PVP (the house of [insert your house here] will not stand for this! *declares war on federation fleet for no reason at all). and we'll still have access to our unique story line missions (such as they are...)
what we'd gain though:
ease of play-ability cross faction (team up your feddy buds without having to use an awkward private instance or something)
STFs would finally make sense (sooooo the oddy over there is at 6%, we've got 4 other klingon ships still perfectly battle ready now that the borg are gone..... why cant i shoot the blood enemy of the empire?)
klingons could choose to join federation fleets, or KDF fleets (lets face it, how many KDF fleets actually have T5 anything? uhuh, compare that to the number of feddy fleets? .... riiiiiight)

so that's basically my take. i guess if there's only one cryptic should actually do from this thread, is get rid of the stupid war. i think if we get rid of that, we can finally advance the mechanics for both feddy and KDF, without really changing much. the only thing i can see would need to be seriously changed, is maybe some dialog, and kerrat. because goodness knows kerrat would be weird after a change like that. ..... on second thought, leave kerrat exactly the way it is, no matter what you do. o.o stop messing with that thing.

so what do you think KDFers? any of this sounds good or should i go home from too much bloodwine?

jestersage 10-19-2013 01:35 AM

I was thinking as a top secret Klingon intelligent mission that involve deep cover, but yes, this is just as good. If we are suckign so much, may as well.

patrickngo 10-19-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainpirko (Post 12986091)
You know, i honestly dont know how most of the klingon players will like this.... romulans might not be too giddy about it either, but this is just an idea i had when i was bored and couldnt get to sleep.

so, we all know that no matter how much Cryptic keeps trying to deny it, the Klingon faction isnt complete by any stretch of the imagination. and romulans arent actually a real faction, but a unique character customization that can choose between klingon or federation. we all know that it'll be season 10 before klingons can be considered equal ground with the federation, and by then the feddies will have something new added just for them that wont make any sense and will show cryptic really doesnt care about the KDF.

then we got another element to this line of silliness. did you guys know we're at war with the federation? yeah me neither. well there's what happens in eta, but then again even the federation has war games against other federation. point is, when you finish the first few story missions, and leave the neutral zone, you wouldnt even know the federation and KDF are enemies. with new romulus, the borg, tholians, probably the voth too, almost all the time you're working WITH the federation, not against them. is there a war going on? i dont think so, not anymore.

okay crazy pirko, where are you going with this?

what if the KDF was changed to be like romulans? that at level 50 or something we become allies with the federation. we have our unique KDF ships, qo'nos, and the laughable supply of exclusive content for us, but we'd still be able to go to our "allies" home of earth, socialize with the local human silliness, and we can finally get over the most annoying gameplay mechanic of being unable to invite cross faction to a team, even though once you go into ISE, you'll be best of friends anyway.
gameplay wise, this wouldnt change much for the KDF. we'd still be ripped off by cryptic, still have a reason for PVP (the house of [insert your house here] will not stand for this! *declares war on federation fleet for no reason at all). and we'll still have access to our unique story line missions (such as they are...)
what we'd gain though:
ease of play-ability cross faction (team up your feddy buds without having to use an awkward private instance or something)
STFs would finally make sense (sooooo the oddy over there is at 6%, we've got 4 other klingon ships still perfectly battle ready now that the borg are gone..... why cant i shoot the blood enemy of the empire?)
klingons could choose to join federation fleets, or KDF fleets (lets face it, how many KDF fleets actually have T5 anything? uhuh, compare that to the number of feddy fleets? .... riiiiiight)

so that's basically my take. i guess if there's only one cryptic should actually do from this thread, is get rid of the stupid war. i think if we get rid of that, we can finally advance the mechanics for both feddy and KDF, without really changing much. the only thing i can see would need to be seriously changed, is maybe some dialog, and kerrat. because goodness knows kerrat would be weird after a change like that. ..... on second thought, leave kerrat exactly the way it is, no matter what you do. o.o stop messing with that thing.

so what do you think KDFers? any of this sounds good or should i go home from too much bloodwine?

Cryptic's shown great difficulty grasping the concept of how to manage a two-faction MMO-not a surprise, NWN is basically single faction, and it was their start, COH is single 'faction', etc. etc.-they've never done one before STO and they're having a great deal of difficulty grasping core concepts necessary to HAVE multiple factions-like faction diversity, individual content, and faction balance.

I think your proposal begins with what probably fits the abilities of the team at Cryptic-that is, they CAN make 'subfaction' work-to an extent.

Mechanically, without rewriting the whole game, is another story-maybe it would work if they raised level cap from 50 to 60 and added content closing out the war, in a way that made some kind of rational, in-story sense (the ending of the Undine missions ain't it-the Klingons initiated this conflict BECAUSE of the Undine infiltration, having them try to olive-branch the enemy that is the primary reason they're at war is STOOPID!!! and confining the 'ending' to a magazine story wholly unsatisfactory...)

but driving the KDF to an ending of the war on terms Klingons WOULD end the war, seems pretty reasonable...at level 50+.

or even at 45, when STF's become viable, and are in fact the first 'joint' missions players can actually run in.

One suggestion that will draw all sorts of fire, is to gate FvF pvp to level-cap, and integrate FvK into the levelling experience as an alternate route for players who don't want to re-run the same content on new toons, interspersed with some actual "Federation vs. Klingon" PvE missions/raids at each tier on the way up-as an alternate, i.e. branch the story missions for both factions so that players can diversify their experience. This will do two things:

1) it will drive sales on lower-tier ships and gear in the C-store
2) an actual conflict will invigorate players to 'try it from the other side' and make new alts-which usually involve buying **** you bypassed the first time.

at level-cap, switch the ques for PvP so that it's "Run whatever"-meaning open teaming redvblue instead of faction specific. so at Levels 10 through, say 45, you'd have the FvK ques-these ships at this level are fundamentally better balanced against each other, and there's no lockbox or endgame advantage ships, you have faction diversity.

At 45 and up, it's RvB, where the tier 5 power combinations live, the Fleet ships, the lockbox ships, etc etc. etc, and faction balance isn't as important because in the end, everyone's on the same team just like in STF's or "Joint Command" play.

(now, I would say that keeping KvK all the way through is something of a good idea-frankly, Klingons fight internally. they do-esp. in 'peacetime'...)

reginamala78 10-19-2013 02:18 AM

I don't see why they didn't do it that way to begin with frankly. I mean you look back at TNG and seasons 6-7 of DS9, and if anything we saw more of Klingon culture than when they were simple bad guys, and still plenty of conflict. A Matter Of Honor, Sins Of The Father, and Redemption 1 (3 of my favs) had plenty of tension and story without resorting Kill The Bad Guy simplicity. Heck, The Chase was on earlier today, and the Klingon captain in that ep, despite being an ally, was most definitely not a Federation pet. No reason different factions have to be directly opposed to each other after all. Even working the same goals, they're gonna have vastly different ways of doing so.

ijimithy 10-19-2013 05:05 AM

You have my vote on this. It's just a hassle making privates because your friends toon is on KDF and your fed etc plus Mission wise Klingon's are lacking I didn't particulary want to share the Fed Missions with a Klingon twist at DS9 but at least the Featured Episodes were ok.

a Joint Klingon Federation Alliance is probably what will occur when Cryptic finally get the Iconians in the game as no faction is going to want to solo them on their own. Could be funny too if the borg suddenly decide to join the Alliance to save their own skins

zeuxidemus001 10-19-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginamala78 (Post 12986711)
IEven working the same goals, they're gonna have vastly different ways of doing so.

It would be cool if it were true. I present the art of cut and paste and the glorious F button.

icsairguns 10-19-2013 05:36 AM

I just left general thread thinking im going back to the kdf forums im sick of these ******* and what do I see on top of the list this horse ****.

I love killing feds players and npc before they nerfed if the ESTF or even the stf where the borg queen would confuse you so that you fired on allied ships. well id save up my alpha strike and just pick on the queen till she cast confuse on me then id let lose soon as I had a feddy targeted. I have enjoyed killing many that way and would just love a chance to kill more.

I don't like the idea of combined forces if they actually gave the faction unique skills and items our ranks would be more populated. instead now the feddy bears cry about something and then they get it too. so no reason for people to come to our side.

so instead of ending the war why no escalate the damn thing, give out faction unique items and keep them unique . make us different .

I have marauder I go into feddy space and the game wont let me attack the npc feds there but I can enter the Klingon battles and they are allied to me and I cant even help them other than flying around and healing them so they can kill the feddy bears.

I will never support or enjoy the ending of hostilities with the Federation unless they have 100% capitulation to us. because the ideas are apposed and any peace would just be temporary as trek history has shown. fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Fool me Thrice... DEATH TO THE FEDERATION.

bronzephantom 10-19-2013 06:02 AM

^
The leaders on the federation are infested with undine and will not capitulate unless we execute them in a very public display just like what we did in the Gorn Hegemony.

Riker asks a Klingon about his future.
"Our future is honor, our present is serving this ship."

Part of the fed intro:
"Time does not stop for one man and neither does history, the chaos in Romulan space gave the Klingon Empire an opportunity to expand it's territory." (I had no idea we were actually doing that)

"Only in battle is a warrior truly Klingon."

It is our duty, our honor to serve the Empire.

General Chang:

"Cry 'havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war!"

"Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay, the worst is death.. and death shall have his day."

blackwing78 10-19-2013 06:19 AM

Cross faction queue? Hell yes

"Merging"? Hell no

Why would you want to run arround ESD in the first place...such a disgusting place....Oooh now i get it, you just make this up to plant a bomb right? For that you have my blessing. :D

bitemepwe 10-19-2013 08:50 AM

We do not need to the latest fed pet faction if Cryptic would develop the KDF/fed war logically as an actual war between the factions at low level but slowly have it disapeer as one progresses up the ranking system so that endgame levels we players are all functioning together as rouge agents of our respective factions to fight the greater foe.

Viola, endgame level cooperation without having to make any faction a pet of the other and we the player get two excellent storylines that are different enough to be fun seperately yet work toward an single endgame goal.

The game grows, the factions grow and everyone is happy.