Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Which Version to Buy? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=88913)

Archived Post 01-29-2010 02:53 PM

Which Version to Buy?

I'm going to buy today to get access to the head start weekend. There are two versions available.
The syfi bundle that comes with 500 cryptic points and a Neodymium Deflector Dish - An in-game item grants a bonus to Auxiliary power, boosts maneuverability, and increases the effectiveness of a ship's Science abilities.

The Digital Deluxe Edition has TOS Uniform Set (in-game item): 3 Uniforms from the Original series (blue, red, yellow)
Joined Trill: Play as a Joined Trill. Joined Trill come with a symbiote that grants you several lifetimes of experience. The "Joined" species trait grants you a bonus to 5 skills.
Exclusive “KHAAAN!” Emote (in-game item): An unforgettable moment from the second Star Trek Film. This exclusive emote allows players to relive Kirk’s unforgettable moment of fury, with the timeless cry… “KHAAAN!”
Exclusive Klingon Blood Wine Toast Emote (in-game item): Raise a glass like a Klingon! Greet and interact with other players with an exclusive Klingon gesture -the blood wine toast.
Unique Registry Prefix (in-game item): Give your ship the coveted NX prefix, seen only on a handful of elite Starfleet vessels like the Defiant, 22nd century Enterprise, and Prometheus.”
Unique Ship Item (in-game item): - Automated Defense Battery. This Tactical Module that grants any ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.

From those who have been playing since the beta release, Which version should I choose?

Thanks in Advance

Archived Post 01-29-2010 03:08 PM

My personal opinion the uniform bonuses. The new style of uniforms that are in the game are superior to the television and movie style ones. However if you want to role play or feel nostalgic, the uniform bonuses may be good for you.

All weapons/armor/equipment bonus items are meant to give you a boost at lower levels, you will quickly outgrow them as you begin to progress and level up.

Novelty items [tribble/targ pet/Constellation Class] They will be fun to play with, but they will also be outgrown or used only in roleplay/nostalgic means.

Skillpoints - 500 free skill points means 5 free tier 1 skill advancements. Which is helpfull for the duration of your character. However, you can of course get these by playing the game too.

Cryptic C-Store points - I don't know the cost of items in the store so I have no comment on this. [its free money]

I think that both the collectors edition, and the digital collectors edition are great buys.

It was a tough decision, but I went with the full collectors edition for the communicator pin, and the fancy manual, as well as whatever else comes with it.

though the NX Prefix is kind of neat, it's just aesthetic [you'll see it on the hull of your ship] and on its name.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 03:19 PM

thanks for the info

Archived Post 01-29-2010 04:40 PM

I went with the GameStop collectors edition for the pin (I am a geek) and the ship graphic (I am an old geek). I'm going to add the Deluxe Digital Download for the uniforms, though I would not be surprised to see those available on the C-Store before too long.