Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Have to relaod the Game via STEAM - 10gigs o'fun (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=88952)

Archived Post 01-29-2010 03:15 PM

Have to relaod the Game via STEAM - 10gigs o'fun

Here is the ticket I created at STEAM. Thought I'd post it hear hoping we get a response from Cryptic someday.

STEAM TICKET -
Played the Head Start for 4 hours with no issue. I logged out and made backup copy of my STO directory from STEAM directory. I had read about problem of having to redownload the game in forums and wanted to avoid the issue. I logged back into the game via the STO icon STEAM had created and sure enough, I was forced to start the 10gig download. I quit that and launched STO directly from the backup directory I had made 5 minutes earlier. This launched me to the STO launcher page. I was able to login and when it got to the PATCH page, it wanted to do a 10gig download there as well. What the HELL is going on? There has been ZERO communication from Cryptic or STEAM and a TON of paying customers are affected by this and quite upset. Anyone care? Or just sitting in the back room counting your money? Where is the customer service?

Archived Post 01-29-2010 03:23 PM

I got this too, except my pc stalled during the download, i was at 57% and now i have to start all over again.

I'm really annoyed. And i'm close to breaching cap now because someone can't design software.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 03:26 PM

Hey, there's a registry entry that tells STO where it's installed. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\Star Trek Online - InstallLocation. It sounds like that might have got set to the wrong location. If you set it back to the right location using regedit, that should solve the problem.

(I had the same issue: STO installed under C:\Users\Public\Games\Cyptic Studios but somehow that key got set to Program Files, so it was trying to patch 10GB. Setting the key back to the actual install location solved the problem).

Note, use regedit with caution, if you don't know what you're doing, I'm not responsible, etc., etc.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 03:45 PM

Or you can copy the backup you made into the steam folder and that might fix it.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 03:54 PM

my launcher keeps hanging up after i reinstalled everything via steam -.-

Archived Post 01-29-2010 04:00 PM

Having the same issue, while I didn't even do anything. I just logged off and started back up again and now Steam is trying to reinstall STO.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 04:09 PM

Thanks Arath. Found the registry info and it points right to the steam directory like you said. I just finished the re-download through Steam and I launched the game by making a new short cut on my desktop to the STO launcher.exe. I am now doing a 1.1gig update. Hope this is over.