Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Remove player classes from the game. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=890251)

emacsheadroom 10-23-2013 05:07 AM

Remove player classes from the game.
 
Why are we considered Engineer captains, Science captains and Tactical captains? Shouldn't we just be Captains? So here is my idea:

Revamp all player characters to have no profession. Keep all captain abilities and make them selectable at every rank. Think of it as a logical extension of the reputation system. Take space abilities as an example:

At Lieutenant, you can choose one of the three:

Attack Pattern Alpha
Rotate Shield Frequency
Sensor Scan


At Lt Commander, you can choose one of the three:

Fire on my Mark
EPS Power Transfer
Subnucleonic Beam


At Commander, you can choose one of the three:

Tactical Initiative
Nadion Inversion
Scattering Field


At Captain, you can choose one of the three:

Go Down Fighting
Miracle Worker
Photonic Fleet


And so forth up the rank structure. And be sure to sell us respec tokens that can reset our choices whenever we feel like it.

Yes, you can argue that this would lead to stupidly overpowered character builds, but the sensible conclusion to that is to buff the more useless abilities to avoid the dreaded cookie-cutter.

doffingcomrade 10-23-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emacsheadroom (Post 13046141)
At Lieutenant, you can choose one of the three:

Attack Pattern Alpha
Rotate Shield Frequency
Sensor Scan


At Lt Commander, you can choose one of the three:

Fire on my Mark
EPS Power Transfer
Subnucleonic Beam


At Commander, you can choose one of the three:

Tactical Initiative
Nadion Inversion
Scattering Field


At Captain, you can choose one of the three:

Go Down Fighting
Miracle Worker
Photonic Fleet

Hey, at least I get a serious choice at Captain level. But anyone can clearly see why Tacs with SNB and no energy drain is a bad idea and that allowing people to cherrypick the abilities is going to result in some wild imbalances. That said, Engi still needs help. You will notice he has ONE good ability, which is only useful in someone else's hands!

emacsheadroom 10-23-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doffingcomrade (Post 13046181)
Hey, at least I get a serious choice at Captain level. But anyone can clearly see why Tacs with SNB and no energy drain is a bad idea and that allowing people to cherrypick the abilities is going to result in some wild imbalances. That said, Engi still needs help. You will notice he has ONE good ability, which is only useful in someone else's hands!

And somebody misses the point already; with this change, there would be no more tacs. Only captains.

Like I said, it should lead to other abilities getting a buff or SNB gets a nerf (like not messing with cooldowns after stripping buffs or not stripping buffs and only messing with cooldowns) so it stops being the go-to option. Either that or everyone picks SNB and suddenly nobody has a disadvantage.

Also, another effect of this change would be that all players could train their boffs in the top tier abilities provided they have invested the requisite skillpoints in order to train them.

Yet another effect would be that all the captain traits would be opened up to all players.

captainrevo1 10-23-2013 05:44 AM

I like this idea. It gives people the choice of how to build their captains and creates greater variety. The are also some ground powers to pick from too that need to be considered as its not just space ones we get awarded. (Orbital strike for eng etc)

They would probably need to tweak things as I think things like dps differ from one class to the next so there might have to be some additional traits or skills added

This would also have to go hand in hand with their plan to rebuild the kits. So instead of just picking from any tac skills they would need to change it to pick from any skill.

This will create a massive combination to play from.

mikec1013 10-23-2013 05:50 AM

I kind of like this idea. It'd be nice to give my sci capt an eng kit so Nukara wasn't so much more difficult. Or maybe security escort. But if I could do this, then why have 3 fed toons? And how would anyone team up for accolades? I like having 3 specific capt's so I can see how game play is different. It challenges those of us with a sci to figure out how to run nukara solo and rescue the red shirts and close the doors without getting over run and over whelmed. Even with the shard of possibilities and a horta its nowhere near the same as having those along with the security escort my tac has or the 2 drones, mortar and turrett my eng has.
This might be a good way to incorporate first officers. Make a doff that has a chance to beam in a boff for support. Hopefully they bring an environmental suit.

khayuung 10-23-2013 05:52 AM

I like this idea too. Couple it with allowing us to equip ANY kit (thereby making the kit define the class) will bring ground combat up to the same level as space in customizability.

I'll even have reason to go buy all the cool fleet kits!

sunfrancks 10-23-2013 05:55 AM

I agree with this 100%. Could breathe new life into the game where skills are concerned. :D

earlnyghthawk 10-23-2013 06:01 AM

Well, eng skill "EPS Transfer" is great to use on yourself as well, in case no one's been doing that.
But I disagree with the whole idea, as there ARE branches of Starfleet you would be "working your way up through", although technically you CAN transfer branches, but it's rare for one to do so very often.
I personally think the skill system should be revamped, make more variety of skills available, and make each branch stand out from it's peers in a decent, unique way.
Also, some skills should be re-worked, and as well, get rid of some of the stacking that can go on, instead, make it to where the highest modifier of a type rules, anything lower is discarded.

Granted, this is coming from someone that role-plays a lot of pen & paper games, including FASA's old ST RPG, and having different branches and skills available made each character unique, instead of "cookie-cutter" builds, that seem to rule this game. I could agree with a few skills being considered "must-haves" or at least a really good idea, but it seems like there are too many skills that are considered that must have, whereas plenty of other skills are considered useless.

emacsheadroom 10-23-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikec1013 (Post 13046431)
But if I could do this, then why have 3 fed toons? And how would anyone team up for accolades?

Your three fed toons can still play with different captain abilities from each other so that you can enjoy different play styles. Accolades are such a meaningless non-issue that I won't even bother arguing about them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikec1013 (Post 13046431)
I like having 3 specific capt's so I can see how game play is different. It challenges those of us with a sci to figure out how to run nukara solo and rescue the red shirts and close the doors without getting over run and over whelmed.

You could still challenge yourself by restricting your toon to science abilities and kits on the ground. Of course, we all like rising to challenges that are forced upon us and then take the easy option when someone advises us to set up our own challenges.

emacsheadroom 10-23-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlnyghthawk (Post 13046521)
But I disagree with the whole idea, as there ARE branches of Starfleet you would be "working your way up through", although technically you CAN transfer branches, but it's rare for one to do so very often.

Your disagreement seems to be based on nothing relevant. :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlnyghthawk (Post 13046521)
Granted, this is coming from someone that role-plays a lot of pen & paper games, including FASA's old ST RPG, and having different branches and skills available made each character unique, instead of "cookie-cutter" builds, that seem to rule this game.

That's the problem: you're approaching this from an outdated class-based ideology of roleplay. Star Trek was never about what class a captain is. A captain is a captain. I dislike cookie-cutter builds too, which is why I advocate buffing the abilities that need them so that variety and diversity is encouraged.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:17 PM.