Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Char Trait: Warp Theorist not working? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=89258)

Archived Post 01-29-2010 06:17 PM

Char Trait: Warp Theorist not working?

Character trait, gives +10 to skill yet when I start the game with a character that has this trait, my power levels are still 50/50/50/50. Now when I start a toon without it I have the same power levels.

I see the +10 in the character screen, but does it not give you the power level boosts?

Archived Post 01-29-2010 06:19 PM

Put one point in engineering warp core skill and you'll see it when you are in a system. My energy levels are 52/52/52/52

Archived Post 01-29-2010 06:22 PM

I believe it's +10% to your Warp Core Engineering skill.

Not +10 to power levels in general.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 06:26 PM

Neither of you read the post.

The character trait gives you +10% just like putting in 2 skill levels in the beginning. When you put the actual skill points into the skill you get an instant + to power levels,

HOWEVER the character trait doesn't.

In short:

Character with Warp Theorist gets +10% more in skill (basically starts at rank 2 of the skill) and power levels are:
50/50/50/50

Character withOUT Warp Theorist starts at normal and starts with power levels:
50/50/50/50

Understand now? The character trait is supposed to give you +10 to the skill (which is the EXACT same as spending 200 points in the skill).

Archived Post 01-29-2010 06:39 PM

It isn't exactly free ranks in the skill. Perhaps it should be, but right now it isn't. As Smackumz indicated - I believe you still need points invested in the actual skill.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acyl (Post 1768049)
It isn't exactly free ranks in the skill. Perhaps it should be, but right now it isn't. As Smackumz indicated - I believe you still need points invested in the actual skill.

If that's true, what is the point of the character trait then? In the profile page it shows +10 when you start. If you get 1 tank of the skill, it says +16.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenithan (Post 1768126)
If that's true, what is the point of the character trait then? In the profile page it shows +10 when you start. If you get 1 tank of the skill, it says +16.

I have been having the same problem and have also had trouble getting people on here to realize what i mean, I have warp theorist and 2 points in the skill, which is (im doing this by memory cause im at work) +20

When I signed off my power levels read this, I remember cause I spent a half hour and even bought the 2 levels of the skill in order to try to figure out why my effective power level was not changing
weapons 90/90
shields 60/60
engine 25/25
aux. 25/25

so I feel your pain dude, which sucks because the warp core theorist is a major part of my future JT's bio

Archived Post 01-29-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenithan (Post 1767817)
Character trait, gives +10 to skill yet when I start the game with a character that has this trait, my power levels are still 50/50/50/50. Now when I start a toon without it I have the same power levels.

I see the +10 in the character screen, but does it not give you the power level boosts?

Several player skills/traits/abilities seem to not be working quite right. I've noticed this with the Warp Theorist trait, and also that the Tier one Tactical Team skill doesn't actually give a bonus to the Tactical Team I skill.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenithan (Post 1768126)

It still works, you just need to have at least 1 point in Warp Theorist to get the bonus.

You get a bigger bonus overall with Warp Theorist and the Warp Core skill maxed out than you do with just the Warp Core skill. To be honest it's not too big a difference, but it's a difference nonetheless.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oplaid (Post 1768504)
It still works, you just need to have at least 1 point in Warp Theorist to get the bonus.

oplaid has it. Warp Theorist has been this way for quite awhile.