Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   wow... just wow.... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=89403)

Archived Post 01-29-2010 08:16 PM

wow... just wow....

i waited all this time for this?!?!?!?!

first and foremost i play stuff like this for the space game, and whats this? instanced space zones (small at that) freelancer/jumpgate/EVE is the space gameplay i was expecting... here we are doing space "levels" instead................ where is the free roaming space play i EXPECTED star trek to be?!??!?!

Archived Post 01-29-2010 08:18 PM

dont get me wrong i want to belive, but jesus, spore has better space play... i feel like im playing wing commander 3 but with restrictions on where i can go!

Archived Post 01-29-2010 08:19 PM

Don't be so severe now. Try "exploration" missions, I bet you'll love them.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delazure (Post 1768971)

i've got 30 days, but so far im pretty disheartened with this game.

if you ever played freelancer that was THE space game, but it was out before MMO'S and the small private run server's killed it.

they need to bring that level of "space play"

Archived Post 01-29-2010 08:25 PM

one of the biggest things i hate so far is the warp cut away scenes. i had major hopes for a tail camera mid warp scenes or controlable, not just "push x to change locations"

Archived Post 01-29-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divitiacus
i waited all this time for this?!?!?!?!

first and foremost i play stuff like this for the space game, and whats this? instanced space zones (small at that) freelancer/jumpgate/EVE is the space gameplay i was expecting... here we are doing space "levels" instead................ where is the free roaming space play i EXPECTED star trek to be?!??!?!

Eve has a ludicrous amount of instancing, every single system is separate, every roid field is separate and missions send you into a part of space you have to search for with probes, I don't see how you think that is any more open.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delazure (Post 1768971)

Exploration missions are the best. I got one where I had to scan gorgons, it was awesome just because I didn't have to fire a single phaser.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An_Heron
Exploration missions are the best. I got one where I had to scan gorgons

O Rly ? Thrilling.

(yaaawn)

Archived Post 01-29-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullforged (Post 1769049)
Eve has a ludicrous amount of instancing, every single system is separate, every roid field is separate and missions send you into a part of space you have to search for with probes, I don't see how you think that is any more open.

I was wondering when someone is going to point this out.

So many people compare EVEO with STO and say "how good is EVE because of it's 'opennes' and no instancing" but the quoted poster is absolutely right, even though EVEO instances load a bit faster when you jump to a new system, they are still just instances.

For the record, I have no problem with instances whattsoever.
In fact, I love the fact that there aren't 100,000 starships orbiting Sol right now, few hours after launch.

Archived Post 01-29-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullforged (Post 1769049)

but you could go to a system and on "impulse" between all the planets in the system. not circle one planet and thats it