Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   steam still shows my sto account as beta (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=89611)

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:02 AM

steam still shows my sto account as beta

when i open steam my sto account (pre order with lifetime) is still shown as beta access also i cant choose liberatet borg as char to play tried a minute ago after reading the note that it should go. anyon else got that prob?

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norador
when i open steam my sto account (pre order with lifetime) is still shown as beta access also i cant choose liberatet borg as char to play tried a minute ago after reading the note that it should go. anyon else got that prob?

I think so but as steam is currently reloading the whole 10 gigs I'm not sure. I couldn't get the liberated borg in the 40 minutes I could play for ealyer. I just have a blank C-Store

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:07 AM

off original topic .. but whats happening with the steam thing... im waiting till im on offpeak to download it again:mad: could someone tell me whats happening or direct me to a thread with the answers??

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:12 AM

dont hope need to reload... that 10 gigs was a pain since my provider cuts the line each day from 6 to 12 pm down to modem power(tastards)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nesten (Post 1770585)
off original topic .. but whats happening with the steam thing... im waiting till im on offpeak to download it again:mad: could someone tell me whats happening or direct me to a thread with the answers??

I'm a little confused in this area as well. I have heard three things.

1. Either Steam is redownloading the entire client from scratch only once and then the launcher downloads a small patch.

2 . Steam is redownloading the entire client from scratch and then when they launch the game through the launcher it downloads another 10gigs.

3. Steam redownloads client, launcher is activated it downloads a small 59mb file. And then after exiting the game and going back in steam downloads the client again.

Personally, so far (although I have yet to turn off the computer) I have exited the game about 4 times so far and Steam has not attempted to redownload the client again. Although it did once already.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:19 AM

i got to admit what the hell happend with steam, i went to bed 4 hours before the head start stared and sto was updated, i come abck and try to start it up and get an insanly huge download on it so i havent even been able to log in yet, so half of my head starts gone

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:26 AM

I recommend you turn off automatic updates for Star Trek Online - Beta (rick click > Properties > Updates > "Do not automatically update this game") and then simply launch the game from outside steam (typically <steam directory>\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online.exe) . It would also not be a bad idea to back up your game files somewhere, in the event that Steam decides to meddle with them anyway.

There are lots of speculation *why* Steam is doing this, my take on it is that the STO client files that are on the steam distribution servers have simply not been updated. The Cryptic Patcher updates the game files to the latest client, but then the checksum's for the patched files no longer match - so steam downloads those older files again. That may be mistaken, and steam is treating the head start client as a totally separate product. Either way, if you take the steps above - you should be able to play without having to deal with another gigantic download.

Unfortunately Steam had started working it's magic before I had a chance to do this. So I'll be waiting until Friday the 5th to play the retail copy. Leap in there and enjoy the game for me folks :D

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunofVich (Post 1770647)
I'm a little confused in this area as well. I have heard three things.

1. Either Steam is redownloading the entire client from scratch only once and then the launcher downloads a small patch.

This was my case damn Steam had to DL another 10 Gb, but once it finished, I got to Engage like normal.

I haven't tried a second time...hmmm be right back..

...ok, just checked, it worked. I use the .exe direct from the steamapps folder, and leave steam right out of the equation.

Needless to say, i'm done with Steam for MMOs.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:38 AM

I've reinstalled my beta client and will return to my Steam install whenever it reports it is not the beta version. Then I'll have more security that it isn't going to redownload like cracy.