Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Quick Tips on the Crystalline Entity... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=90149)

Archived Post 01-30-2010 09:34 AM

Quick Tips on the Crystalline Entity...

First stage to about 50% is just shards that do strong kenetic damage and a powerful beam weapon that most Cruisers can tank if they have the right set up.

After 50% or so more shards start appearing. Nothing that will cause much trouble.

30% health is where people need to think for a second.

Large Shards come out of the Entity and can cause havoc with all the other players who have no idea.

Large Shard will hit YOU or MINES and break into 3 small shards that return to the Entity and greatly heal it.

So what can you do?

I suggest you hit your power to engines and run circles around they Entity while NEVER getting hit and shooting the Entity. This works find if you have 100% of the players listening to you. Which could be a bad thing in a fleet mission like this. You cant trust everyone so devs should keep an eye on this one.

Most players make the mistake of running into the large ones or dropping mines. PLEASE, if you cannot out run the Large Shards, just retreat to a safe distance until the people who can have them going in a circle.

Also please dont bring your Miranda ;)

***Note for devs. You probably want to limit how many large shards and other shards can be out at one time. At one point 3 of us had about 30 shards following each of us and there were plenty more chasing those who did not know what to do. This causes major graphics lag for some and server stress. We could just run in circles for hours and collect about 1000 of these and god knows what will happen to the server :-p

Archived Post 01-30-2010 10:29 AM

This is a great Fleet Action mission it is a lot of fun, especially if there aren't any lt cmdr ships about (since it becomes fairly straight forward if there are). The problem is that it is a fleet action and a lot of people have no clue and don't read zone chat (probably because they have it turned off from earth starbase multi zone spam.)

The above tips are all very useful. I'd also recomend changing your power levels to 100% engines 50% weapons as soon as it's deathray goes inactive (about 50% health). Kite the large shards and hit evasive manouvers if they get too close.

Plus Torps Torps Torps Torps.

People who fly straight at the entity or drop crap ton's of mines around the entity you are basically feeding him health.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:09 PM

Its a beautiful approach to the OB camping problem.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syphus (Post 1776637)
This is a great Fleet Action mission it is a lot of fun, especially if there aren't any lt cmdr ships about (since it becomes fairly straight forward if there are). The problem is that it is a fleet action and a lot of people have no clue and don't read zone chat (probably because they have it turned off from earth starbase multi zone spam.)

The above tips are all very useful. I'd also recomend changing your power levels to 100% engines 50% weapons as soon as it's deathray goes inactive (about 50% health). Kite the large shards and hit evasive manouvers if they get too close.

Plus Torps Torps Torps Torps.

People who fly straight at the entity or drop crap ton's of mines around the entity you are basically feeding him health.

Ahh yes forgot to mention keep your engines powered 100+

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Losobal
Its a beautiful approach to the OB camping problem.

I think this feature 'was' in the OB. problem is most people never got a chance to see it, and I fear that by the end of today no one is likely to see it again either :(

already I'm in rooms where it's being killed in the first 15 or so seconds, the loot always going to the commander flying an akira/oslo/whatever (lol, don't remember the 3rd)

Archived Post 03-19-2010 10:00 PM

This is how to beat the Crystalline Entity, dudes...

I played for a couple of hours watching as we all tried to beam the thing to death...
I tried to take care of the shards best I could, but the creature never really stayed below 50% before it replenished itself back up to 75-80%.
So I replaced my 4 dual-beams on my Assault Cruiser with 2 Quantum Torpedoes and 1 Plasma (Xuncommon) and 1 Chroniton Flux (VIIIrare)
and replaced my 3 tactical beam weapon bonuses (+65) with 2-+21 Torpedo boosters and a +18 Chroniton Flux Torpedo booster.
I also installed some hull and crew boost Engineering consoles...
I left my 3 beams on the back (unused here) and replace the rear torpedo with a Tetryon Turret (Xuncommon)

I then flew in to within firing distance and stopped then started firing...
My turret was on autofire...
I was constantly firing torpedoes at it, boosting the yield whenever possible
hitting Aceton Field
hitting scramble sensors (boosted by science console sensor probes & deflector sensors)
hitting jam sensors (boosted by deflector Sensor Array and sensors)

The Entity virtually sent NO shards at me, so I shot without worries.
The Entity hit me with a beam occasionally, but Scramble and Jam sensors got rid of them.
...as I watched the Entity drop below 30% for the 1st time in hours
...after recovering from a few errors,
like: slipping out of range and not realizing it...getting too close to the entity or it's exploding shards (not meant for me), or not paying attention to my hull, or my Engineering Team II button not responding(?!?)
...I finally settled in and shot and shot and stayed in range and watched as FINALLY the Entity dropped below 20%, then 10%, then countdown to victory.

SO, EVERYBODY, bring your torpedoes, your best torpedo boosting consoles, your turrets (although they might get it's attention if you use multiple ones) and WHUP IT'S BUTT.

LEAVE YOUR MINES AT HOME.

IT SEEMS OBVIOUS THAT THE ENTITY KEYS IN ON ENERGY WEAPONS, WHILE THE ENTITY CAN'T TRACE TORPEDOES BACK TO YOUR SHIP TO TARGET YOU WITH IT'S SHARDS.

I AM SURE THIS IS WHAT DID IT...AND IT DIDN'T TAKE ALL THAT LONG, OTHERWISE THE FIGHT WILL NEVER END AND YOU WILL NEVER WIN.

GOOD LUCK