Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Player Skills (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=90286)

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:26 AM

Player Skills -can be wasted?

In looking at the trees, the abilities for the ranks of ships say things like "Affects all research class science vessels"

Does this mean that previous rank skills don't affect later class ships?

So if we want to be forward thinking and plan for the last tier we shouldn't take any piloting skills until admiral level if we don't want to waste points?

Archived Post 01-30-2010 01:15 PM

You would have to "waste" skill points in skills to progress onto your next rank so theres no way to get around it.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 01:40 PM

Actually the ship skills start out broad (all starships) then narrow itself down to something more specific.

There was a vague explanation by a dev a while back (paraphrasing) that stated some of the skills stack some have diminishing returns or whatever. Basically your old skills aren't "wasted" per - sey but they won't stack ona 1:1 ration either.

Now if you put 9 points into mines and later on choose not to use mines...yeah, that's kind of a waste but don't see where we can get around it.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 01:56 PM

@ Abradax

For the skills under Starfleet training, Starship Command improves anything you are flying. In the second tier Science Vessel Captain improves any science class vessel you command. The last 3 tiers apply to specific vessels.

Everyone should get the tier one "Starship Command" then specialize from then on. I am flying Science so I am getting Tier 1 and 2. Then holding out spending points on a specific ship till tier 5.

There have been rumors of eventually being able to reallocate skill points. Until the details of that arrive, spending points in tier 3 and tier 4 seem "wasted" to me.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohilio
@ Abradax

For the skills under Starfleet training, Starship Command improves anything you are flying. In the second tier Science Vessel Captain improves any science class vessel you command. The last 3 tiers apply to specific vessels.

Everyone should get the tier one "Starship Command" then specialize from then on. I am flying Science so I am getting Tier 1 and 2. Then holding out spending points on a specific ship till tier 5.

There have been rumors of eventually being able to reallocate skill points. Until the details of that arrive, spending points in tier 3 and tier 4 seem "wasted" to me.

That's what I was figuring, reading the first two tiers they specifically mentioned any class.

So do you think it is worth "gimping" space for a couple tiers and picking up ground abilities which always seem to be effective?

Archived Post 01-30-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abradax
That's what I was figuring, reading the first two tiers they specifically mentioned any class.

So do you think it is worth "gimping" space for a couple tiers and picking up ground abilities which always seem to be effective?

Unless your planning on heavy PvP skip them. If you are into the Pvp, get them and dominate everyone that passes them by, but be sure to complain daily to the DEVs that we need a respeck option!

Archived Post 01-30-2010 02:56 PM

As far as anyone is aware the ship specific skills at the different tiers only provide benefits to those ship tiers.

The skill tree apparently was set up so that you could eventually skill up all the trees if you wanted and the cap was only recently added.

So where these would have been more relevant before with a fixed amount of skill points to allocate they seem a bit redundant.

Alot of people suggested ignoring the ship specific skills untill tier 5 and put the additional points into ground skills or science/engineering skills which match the boff abilities you wish to use.

This way the skill points will be of benefit to you for the duration of your character life rather than only the time spent in that tier.

Alternatively you could just spend them any way and wait for further dev info.

Respecs are apparently round the corner so points spent that make life easier while leveling may not be wasted :S

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:09 PM

EditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEdited

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:14 PM

After playing Champs, I don't think I'll be relying on respecs :)