Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Shield and armor tanking (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=90554)

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:18 PM

Shield and armor tanking
 
will there be some sort of armor tanking later on in sto?
So far ive only seen shields but as in one of the trekie episodes we could believe that this armor tech should have been used in this time of age within sto.
thoughts?

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:19 PM

Possibly. Would be a pretty idea to have such an option.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:19 PM

Think you need to go back to Eve m8,no armor tanking here.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absolutelee (Post 1779953)
Think you need to go back to Eve m8,no armor tanking here.

think you need to learn more about star trek before posting stupid responces nobody cares for

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absolutelee (Post 1779953)
Think you need to go back to Eve m8,no armor tanking here.

Defiant, Arblative armour.
Intrepid (refit) arblative armour GENERATOR.

If that ain't armour tanking I don't know what is. Federation ships can and do armour tank in some cases.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:46 PM

You can certainly try to hull tank here but you need ungodly resist to do so and there is a curve penalty to hull resist that reaches 50% the closer you get to 100 resist. So it's possible to do so in STO you just need the right BOF's skills on your cruiser and the right consoles.



Engineering Consoles - all rare + to kinetic and + to all energy resist x 4 on the end game Star Cruiser
Science consoles - All + hazard systems
Deflector dish - Best + to emitters

Engineer BOF abilities

Lieutenant commander - Emergency power to aux I, Engineering team II, Aux to structural II

Commander - Emergency power to aux I, Engineering Team II, Aux to structural II, ?

Science BOF abilities -

Lieutenant - Hazard emitters I, Hazard emitters II

the redundancy is there so you can keep the buffs those abilities apply going indefinitely.

Obviously if your goal is to tank then you power load out should have 100% power going to aux because the more aux you have the higher bonus to resist you get from the BOF skill aux to structural

Basically with all three buffs cycling constantly plus consoles you'll have in the area of around 80-90% hull resist plus all the heals those abilities also apply.

once appropriate skill are maxed -

Hazard emitters adds 30% resist all
Engineering team adds about the same 30% resist all
Aux to struc adds 50% resist all if you have 100 aux plus the additional buf***e to your power loadout from cycliing emergency power to aux increases the resist portion of Aux to struc even more. Basically more aux = more resist so this will vary depending on other equipment and captain skills like EPS power transfer.

So total just from BOF's skills that you can get would be around 100% resist all to the hull but that gets cut in half due to the 50% resistance penalty so what you're actually looking at is about 55% ACTUAL resist all. Once you activate all skills at once. Then you add consoles to that and come out with around 80-90% hull resist on top of the major healage you get from engineering team, aux to struc, and emitters combined.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:55 PM

"Armor" (or more accurately termed, hull) tanking is perfectly viable... in a cruiser and if you're an engineer captain. Don't dare attempt with a science or escort ship - both have very low hull health and insufficient engineering bridge officer slots.

There's numerous engineering bridge officer skills to raise hull resistance, repair hull health. Combined with hazard emitters (Science bridge officer skill) and your own Engineering Captain unique skills, you can easily keep your cruiser alive through massive barrages even after your shields fail.

Equipping engineering devices that raise kinetic resistance would be key though (cruisers have the most slots for engineering devices - this too is crucial). When your shields fail, you don't need to fear phasers and cannon fire - your various skills can easily counteract those....

Torpedoes though can rip apart your hull even with engineering skills. This is why you would have to invest in kinetic resistance engineering devices, as torpedoes do kinetic damage. Combined with all your engineering skills, science officer skill and your captain skill, a Cruiser with 0 shields can stay alive just about as easily as if he had full shields.

It's suicide to attempt in anything but a cruiser though. For the escort and science ships, using "hull tanking" only delays your death. It's still useful... but for escaping, not sitting there and letting your hull get pounded. Cruiser though can sit there and not worry about having lost his shields with the right skills and gear.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hathur (Post 1782661)
"Armor" (or more accurately termed, hull) tanking is perfectly viable... in a cruiser and if you're an engineer captain. Don't dare attempt with a science or escort ship - both have very low hull health and insufficient engineering bridge officer slots.

There's numerous engineering bridge officer skills to raise hull resistance, repair hull health. Combined with hazard emitters (Science bridge officer skill) and your own Engineering Captain unique skills, you can easily keep your cruiser alive through massive barrages even after your shields fail.

Equipping engineering devices that raise kinetic resistance would be key though (cruisers have the most slots for engineering devices - this too is crucial). When your shields fail, you don't need to fear phasers and cannon fire - your various skills can easily counteract those....

Torpedoes though can rip apart your hull even with engineering skills. This is why you would have to invest in kinetic resistance engineering devices, as torpedoes do kinetic damage. Combined with all your engineering skills, science officer skill and your captain skill, a Cruiser with 0 shields can stay alive just about as easily as if he had full shields.

It's suicide to attempt in anything but a cruiser though.

Yep I didn't go into all of it. But he's exactly right. Don't even think about it in a science or Tact. You need cruiser for this because of the engineering stations and consoles.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 01:11 PM

nice info guys thanks

Archived Post 01-30-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6anubis6 (Post 1779870)
will there be some sort of armor tanking later on in sto?
So far ive only seen shields but as in one of the trekie episodes we could believe that this armor tech should have been used in this time of age within sto.
thoughts?

Are you Gallente?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:32 PM.