Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   STO Ports? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=90604)

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:26 PM

STO Ports?

Hey Devs :D

I use port forwarding on my router, and was wondering which ports and TCP/UDP protocols STO uses for server/client communication :D

Thanks in advance!

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:56 PM

just a bump :D

Archived Post 01-31-2010 12:01 AM

Port forwarding is for incoming connections to your PC. As far as I know STO doesn't making any outgoing connections to your PC so port forwarding would be moot.

Port forwarding is not a performance thing, it's a "forward this port that my from my router to my PC so my PC can handle the incoming conenction" thing.

Every time you access a website, etc a different port is used on your PC, you don't forward all those because you don't need to, you're making an outgoing connection (usually port 80 for websites btw).

But for incoming connections, if you wanted to run a webserver on the standard 80 port you'd need to forward 80 to your PC. Although the remote client connecting to your PC would be using a port between 1025 and 65535.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vagabond142 (Post 1780401)
Hey Devs :D

I use port forwarding on my router, and was wondering which ports and TCP/UDP protocols STO uses for server/client communication :D

Thanks in advance!

For STO:

There ya go.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungus
For STO:

There ya go.

That list is 1) wrong and 2) irrelevant. As mentioned above, no ports need to be forwarded.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderanger
That list is 1) wrong and 2) irrelevant. As mentioned above, no ports need to be forwarded.

Irrelevant... maybe... but those are ports that the Nettest tool you provide opens and tests your connection to Cryptic. If my information is wrong... you gave it to me.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 12:30 AM

Not to mention that 443 is the standard port for HTTPS connections to secure web servers (80 is used for HTTP).

No game would ever need that open, and most users wouldn't need to forward it, unless they were running a web server with HTTPS content. Opening ports willy nilly is just a bad idea. Don't do it. If STO needed them open, I'm sure there would be a help page explaining it.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 05:00 AM

Maybe the launcher is using 443.

Or maybe the mail/ticket traffic that goes between client/website.

Dunno, just offering suggestions.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungus
Irrelevant... maybe... but those are ports that the Nettest tool you provide opens and tests your connection to Cryptic. If my information is wrong... you gave it to me.

(I might be wrong here but this is how I understand it: )

I think you're misunderstanding nettest. One of the things it tests for is - "is the user's ISP traffic shaping STO traffic?". Port 443 is tested as a baseline because it's hardly ever touched by ISPs traffic shaping (it's used for https://). STO doesn't use that port itself for game communication - nettest shows a comparison against that and the ports STO actually uses (in the 7k range) so you can see if 443 gets through fine while the 7k ports get massively shaped.

But, it's a moot point anyway, you don't need to forward ports for STO. Port forwarding is needed when an external body is trying to initiate a connection on a specific port to your machine through your router. All STO communication is initiated client side. All connections are opened from your computer and connect to the server (as opposed to opened from the server to your computer) - as such there's no port forwarding needed.

EDIT: The only time you'd need opened ports is if you were somewhere like a university network and they were blocking all outbound traffic on the 7k ports by default.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 09:28 AM

It's not port forwarding you have to consider. (Or even need really.)
It may be your firewall is blocking those ports.

However unblocking those port on your firewall will require you to read up on your firewall manufacturer's instructions. As that is beyond the scope of these forums.

M.