Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   How to Use a Joystick in Game (A Tutorial) (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=90690)

Archived Post 01-30-2010 12:44 PM

How to Use a Joystick in Game (A Tutorial)

Ok by popular demand here it is:

1) To be safe download any software that the manufacturer of your joystick supplies.

2) Bind any buttons you can to keystrokes using this. Odds are the actual joystick movement will not bind to a key in this. But do the ones ya can. If you can't find one or it doesn't work, move to step 3.

3) Download and install Joystickcurser

4) Using this you can bind your X, Y. Z and R axis to keystrokes. Also your pov switch and any buttons the joystick software wouldn't. Go ahead and do that now. I have yet to get the throttle to work.

5) Before starting the game, start the joystickcurser program so it runs in your tray. Same with your joystick software. If you made any settings that you saved in them be sure to load them in the software.

6) Start the game up and go to your key bindings tab. Doing this in space makes life easier. Now set your bindings.

Example: Click in the "Fire All Weapons" bind area. Now pull the trigger on your joystick. It should now be bound to a keystroke.

Do the same for your ship movements. Instead of pulling the trigger, move the joystick in the direction you want. Go thru and bind the rest of the buttons etc..

Play the game and enjoy your joystick. :D If you found this helpful please make a post so the thread stays near the top allowing others to find it easily. Engage !

-------------------------=------------------------=/\= .......=-==.....=/\= .......=-==.... =/\=

Added for Logitch Joysticks

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtkerry (Post 1901390)
I have a Windows 7 Pro AMD Quad Core PC w/ 4GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 2400XT 256MB . I have a Wingman Extreme 9 button Flightstick w/8 way hatch. Windows 7 detected and installed it was when I upgraded ti Win7, and the stick calibrated and worked fine in ST:Legacy. Not so in STO, but I wasn't surprised by this. I have a number of avid MMO gamers around me, and the said not to expect support on this. I read the forums and was hearing that you had to get software from the manufacturer of the device you use, and the software would create the inter face. So, the following is what I did for my Logitech...

1. Download the LGS v5.08 (Logitech Gaming Software) and install it with the device attached:

http://logitech-viva.navisite.net/we...lgs508_x64.exe

Install STO if you haven't. Setup and launch STO with all the present patches - click "engage" and go into the game. Then close the game.

2. Configure the LGS software withall your settings, but DO NOT SET THE THOTTLE. I did and it was slightly on. When I rebooted, it started filling the text boxes in any open window with Q's. Then in the upper left is an area to link and launch software from the LGS program - point it to the GameClient.exe file on your C:\drive (the easiest way is to search for the file and figure out the location). Launch STO from the Logitech software once, and let it NOT find the server and go to a login screen. go to the upper right hand corner and reduce to a window.

3. Launch the game from the normal STO Desktop Icon - login - patch - engage. Wnen you get to the character selection -reduce this screen from fullscreen to a window. Close the other login window. The Logitech window should still be open. Select you character and play the game. The flightstick will work with a fraction of about a 1/10 of second delay. I seemed to notice it at first, but after the first space battle you don't seem to notice it as much.

Your mouse is now able to be devoted to moving views and your flightstick can handle ship/character movement and weapons. I found that I also use the mouse for shields. I just center the mouse and divert energy to all the shields at once when needed.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 02:23 PM

Great Post!

I do have a question about setting up the POV control stick though. I am not sure which movements to bind to this stick. While flying I would like to be able to change where my camera is heading to make it easier to see enemies that are off the screen instead of waiting for my ships POV to slowly move around.

I have a Saitek Cyborg X Flightstick. Any help would be great, thanks! The POV is pretty much the only thing I am having trouble with.

Another thing.. My Siatek software has the option to configure the X, Y with Mouse X, Y movement, but I was not able to get this working. Am trying to get better control of the ship movements in space. Wanted the X,Y to act more like the mouse while I am holding down the left and right mouse buttons in space.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:00 PM

A friend of my uses this program for binding key to his joystick. I haven't tried it yet but it seems to work well for him.

http://xpadder.com/

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torchholder
A friend of my uses this program for binding key to his joystick. I haven't tried it yet but it seems to work well for him.

http://xpadder.com/

I just downloaded this software. letter tonight I will give it a shot. I was using something else but it didn't seem to have the customization I want. This program looks like it will give me what I am looking for. Thanks for the link.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 06:11 PM

Cool let us know how that works, I was looking at that myself. Would be nice to get the throttle working.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 06:12 PM

FYI - Logitech users should use the Logitech Profiler that Logitech includes, it supplies some pretty advanced functionality.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 06:42 PM

Okay . . .

/bind F6 throttleset 0.25

Makes it so that F6 sets the throttle to 0.25

With that, you can bind the F-keys to throttle settings.

You can go backwards with throttleset -1

With Logitech's "Zone" feature, this goes a long way to being able to control the throttle of the ship via the joystick's throttle. I have the bottom zone set as -1 for reverse, then the rest set from 0 to 1 in 0.25 increments, which I think reflects the keyboard controls.

BTW, when using the Logitech Profiler the key for full impulse should be recorded as a command, including recording pauses - otherwise, there seems to be some bug that resets the throttle.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 10:43 PM

I have a Saitek and its software has close to the same thing. I'll give it a whirl, thnx.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valk_ (Post 1802990)
I have a Saitek and its software has close to the same thing. I'll give it a whirl, thnx.

I am trying to get mine all worked out too now that I ma home from work.

Sietek cyborg X Xpadder combo. This is what IA m working with right now.

I am new to this joystick thing so I am having trouble getting my x,y axis to act like my mouse does while holding down left+right mouse buttons. Any suggestions?

Archived Post 01-31-2010 06:04 AM

By the way - any time a key or key combination seems flaky or doesn't work right, record it with pauses. Sometimes it seems the game doesn't seem to recognize stuff that's done too quickly.