Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Risa, Jet Packs, and PvP (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=907591)

buccaneerdtb 11-08-2013 10:58 AM

Risa, Jet Packs, and PvP
 
You know you want it. It would work on the last ground map in the Reman featured episode too.

virusdancer 11-08-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buccaneerdtb (Post 13335211)
You know you want it.

Yep, I want to fire 100% to-hit Torp Spreads from one of my starships at folks flying around with Risa Floaters.

;)

aetam1 11-08-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buccaneerdtb (Post 13335211)
You know you want it. It would work on the last ground map in the Reman featured episode too.

I would go on step further and propose a game mode:

2 teams

One gets jetpacks... with gatlings

The other gets dinos, with lasers

King of the hill.

(but i suppose it would not be very trek like)

ussultimatum 11-08-2013 11:37 AM

I actually debated a few minutes before posting this, I'm not intentionally trying to be a buzzkill.


From what I understand (from previous MMOs) the main stumbling block to something like this is the animations.

The animations generally will be the most time consuming (read: largest expense) part of this.


That doesn't mean its insurmountable, but a lot of things would probably be extremely wonky like most of the Engineers pets, melee would probably be out of the question.

You could probably get a simplified mode with special powers (i.e. the jet pack itself becomes the "kit") and just a simple shoulder/head mounted (frikken) laser beam - as opposed to using your own weapon+animations.

virusdancer 11-08-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ussultimatum (Post 13336141)
I actually debated a few minutes before posting this, I'm not intentionally trying to be a buzzkill.


From what I understand (from previous MMOs) the main stumbling block to something like this is the animations.

The animations generally will be the most time consuming (read: largest expense) part of this.


That doesn't mean its insurmountable, but a lot of things would probably be extremely wonky like most of the Engineers pets, melee would probably be out of the question.

You could probably get a simplified mode with special powers (i.e. the jet pack itself becomes the "kit") and just a simple shoulder/head mounted (frikken) laser beam - as opposed to using your own weapon+animations.

Think that's pretty much along the lines of what Cryptic said back during the event when folks asked about combat. Hrmmm, I might have imagined it - but I'm pretty sure that's along the lines of what they said when they said nope, not going to happen.

edit: A quick perusal, didn't have it in me for a more in-depth search, came up with the following...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacofangs (Post 11061941)
There are a lot of problems that come from allowing people to fly (trust me, I've worked on 2 separate Superhero MMOs). But Risa was built with this in mind, so it should be good to go. It would be a considerable amount of work (and a billion bugs) if we allowed you to fly your 'floater' everywhere else in the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacofangs (Post 11063951)
I'm telling you, there is a ton of work in trying to retrofit an existing map, that was not designed for flying characters. It's not something I want to do, and I really hope we don't head down that rabbit hole.

...which is more about the map designs than the animations. Could have sworn there was something about that too...meh.

buccaneerdtb 11-08-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by virusdancer (Post 13336421)
Think that's pretty much along the lines of what Cryptic said back during the event when folks asked about combat. Hrmmm, I might have imagined it - but I'm pretty sure that's along the lines of what they said when they said nope, not going to happen.

edit: A quick perusal, didn't have it in me for a more in-depth search, came up with the following...

...which is more about the map designs than the animations. Could have sworn there was something about that too...meh.

That doesn't eliminate PvP on Risa.

edalgo 11-08-2013 12:58 PM

This might actually get me interested in Ground PvP if implemented.

Nahhh. The captain stays on the ship while ground is for the first officer.

talzerotwo 11-08-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buccaneerdtb (Post 13335211)
you Know You Want It. It Would Work On The Last Ground Map In The Reman Featured Episode Too.


Yes Please ! :d

captainedna 11-08-2013 01:11 PM

if ground people want to play in space then space people should ask http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqHjgrKird0

virusdancer 11-08-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buccaneerdtb (Post 13336711)
That doesn't eliminate PvP on Risa.

It being Risa...eliminates it on Risa.

I mean, honestly, is that where you'd want devs to spend a ludicrous amount of resources...on Floater combat? You'd have to sell them on it for PvE before they'd even consider it for PvP.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:54 AM.