Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   No more Vice Admirals! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=909151)

shanis281 11-10-2013 06:33 AM

No more Vice Admirals!

Please... we're all ship captains. This Admiral rank thing is silly. If you insist on making us all Admirals then I will hole myself up in a system with a starbase and claim that I command all of it, as befit my rank as a three-star Admiral. Then I'll sit in the Starbase commander's office and do paperwork. Occasionally I will attend meetings, and dictate policy to other ships.

Starfleet will be all "we need you to save us from the Voth" or whatever, but I'll be like "talk to my chief of staff, I'm just slammed with meetings today. Maybe tomorrow."

whamhammer1 11-10-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanis281 (Post 13361761)
Please... we're all ship captains. This Admiral rank thing is silly. If you insist on making us all Admirals then I will hole myself up in a system with a starbase and claim that I command all of it, as befit my rank as a three-star Admiral. Then I'll sit in the Starbase commander's office and do paperwork. Occasionally I will attend meetings, and dictate policy to other ships.

Starfleet will be all "we need you to save us from the Voth" or whatever, but I'll be like "talk to my chief of staff, I'm just slammed with meetings today. Maybe tomorrow."

If that's what you decide to do, there are plenty of R.P.'ers in the game.

And if people being the rank of Vice-Admiral is your biggest complaint, I would say that you are far more satisfied with the game than the vast majority of the other players.

baudl 11-10-2013 07:26 AM

doffing is the only thing that comes close to what an admiral is supposed to do...

if they would ranks like LTD junior grade, and some others inbetween there wouldn't be that inconsistancy.

if i had something to say in the new tutorials, i'd start each character of each faction with only a shuttle or fighter until lvl 20.

shanis281 11-10-2013 07:34 AM

Nothing wrong with making various grades of Captain, but still leaving "Captain" as the most senior rank a player can achieve. It's a small thing, really, and I know it's mostly for obsessive compulsive RP'ers (or military-types who understand proper rank structures).

Maybe allow customization in how NPCs address the player, so we can chose to make them call us "Captain?"

angrytarg 11-10-2013 07:47 AM

I personally would get lost of those ranks alltogether. From the tutorial onward we do what captains do. So our toons are just that - captains. Make it Captain lvl 1-50 (since game mechanics need that progression) and let "ranks" be purely cosmetical costume options. The tutorial should let us start out as the first officer who takes command and is then offered his or her own command.

talonxv 11-10-2013 07:48 AM

Bah I divorced myself from VA rank long ago. The only one I haven't done so is my KDF science officer since she flies a carrier and can call in the photonic ships. So It feels like I have a squadron on call that an Admiral would command.

But yeah haven't called myself an Admiral in a while.

Edit: Honestly once you hit captain i'd of done it like this:

Junior Captain: Just got that 4th pip but you're VERY low on the seniority since you just got promoted.

Senior Captain: You've moved up on the seniority, getting a bigger ship in recognition.

Fleet Captain: You're one of the most senior Captains in the federation. Poised to take that next step as a Rear Admiral, but not quite ready but you command the biggest and best ships in the fleet.

yreodred 11-10-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whamhammer1 (Post 13362021)
If that's what you decide to do, there are plenty of R.P.'ers in the game.

And if people being the rank of Vice-Admiral is your biggest complaint, I would say that you are far more satisfied with the game than the vast majority of the other players.

He's got a point.

Making everyone an admiral is a obvious misconception by Cryptic.
If they knew Star Trek better then the would have known that the rank of admiral isn't what everyone wants to be. Even in the series it is mentioned several times that it is the rank of Captain everyone is keen on.

But as always, Cryptic obviously though "more is better" (= exaggerating everything) so they made everyone an Admiral. :rolleyes:

captinjacksparow 11-10-2013 10:21 AM

Well, the fact that we're starship captains and also vice admirals just means we're special ^.^

hypl 11-10-2013 10:26 AM

If you want to be a Captain, that's your business. Wear the title proudly. But "I" want to be an Admiral. Let everyone be what they want, because when I play STO, "you" don't exist in my universe.

captinjacksparow 11-10-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypl (Post 13363831)
If you want to be a Captain, that's your business. Wear the title proudly. But "I" want to be an Admiral. Let everyone be what they want, because when I play STO, "you" don't exist in my universe.

^ This guy right here. He knows what's going on.