Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Please allow us to name our own Alien Species. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=91363)

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:19 PM

Please allow us to name our own Alien Species.

Please allow us to name our own Alien Species. What strikes me as odd as having everyone who chose "Alien" be displayed as "Alien" is that every Species is an Alien to each other, so therefore by this logic (and a Vulcan would agree), every player in the game whether or not they chose a specific race, should still be displayed as an "Alien."

For me, I would love to be able to display that my character is Half-Betazoid and not just an "Alien." For other, they want to make up their own Species, like I did back in Open Beta, when I created the Zebulonian Race from the planet Zebulon Prime.

I'll try and recount some of the related ideas that other players posted in the now archived post, my apologies for not being able to recall who posted what idea and if I don't recall the idea exactly as it was originally posted:

Idea #1:
Also add a Borg Designation Number to all players, including Alien Species. Allow players to be able to input that Borg Designation at character creation so that they can make the same species as another player has created as well as when customizing our Alien Bridge Officers.
Idea #2:
Saved for future recollection. Sorry, having another brain fart!

Now, just to set aside some quams. Someone also posted that this would allow people to make races that are socially unacceptable in Star Trek, such a "Mexicans" or some derogatory term. However, this point was made irrelevant for the simple fact, that by that logic, we shouldn't even be able to name our own characters, our ships, or our bridge officers. What ever makes it past the filters is usually always spotted by an in game employee or by the Community itself.

Please give your constructive feedback on this as well as any related ideas that could be implemented along with this to give us "Aliens" a better sense of belonging in the Multiverse.

Thank you for your time.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:20 PM

would rock nice idea

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:21 PM

I agree, it'd be nice.

Of course, then we'd have aliens from all other popular Science Fiction works as well as some probably named "haxx0r". But yes, it dimishes the roleplaying aspect of the game a bit.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:24 PM

I was also thinking why not add all the costum (spelling) aliens to a data base and let people choose one's people already made. ofc you have to get that toon to 50 before it would be added to data base

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:25 PM

Feel free to name your own alien species, tell everybody you meet what your species is. Frankly, having a visible label won't change whether or not they bother to listen to you much.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:25 PM

duno if i need a chuck norris race :)

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:26 PM

Waste of database space....

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geldonyetich (Post 1795429)
Feel free to name your own alien species, tell everybody you meet what your species is. Frankly, having a visible label won't change whether or not they bother to listen to you much.

I am sorry you do not like immersion, there are many of us who do. Thank you for your trolling bump never-the-less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thane (Post 1795361)
duno if i need a chuck norris race :)

LOL! Funnyness aside, as I said in the OP, this point is illogical: "Someone also posted that this would allow people to make races that are socially unacceptable in Star Trek, such a "Mexicans" or some derogatory term. However, this point was made irrelevant for the simple fact, that by that logic, we shouldn't even be able to name our own characters, our ships, or our bridge officers. What ever makes it past the filters is usually always spotted by an in game employee or by the Community itself."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ
Waste of database space....

Please be constructive, thank you for your trolling bump never-the-less.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:42 PM

What's unconstructive about "Waste of database space...." ?

The whole idea is just a waste of database space in my eyes. I could care less if you are a Ping, Bung, Wamp or Rong race....

Use the "biography" feature for it...

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:55 PM

I agree, it would be nice to have that option, and to that "waste of space" thing, it wouldn't take up as much space in the game than all the different character options that you have. To be honest lots of others could care less about what your creation looks like just as much as they don't care about your species. In the end it would just be self-satisfying to have, and a good addition.