Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   What was the beta for? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=91500)

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:48 PM

What was the beta for?
 
What was the beta period for when Cryptic still appears unable/unprepared to properly support this game? And this is at the Head Start period, which is only for people who pre-ordered. What happens on Tuesday, February 2, on launch day? I mean, seriously, a QUEUE to log in? This is Online Gaming 101, basic, basic, basic stuff and Cryptic developed this game for two years and they have a login QUEUE?

Personally, I will play as much as possible for the 30 days that are included in the game and not touch the subscription with a 10-foot pole. Simply unfit.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pL86 (Post 1797660)
This is Online Gaming 101, basic, basic, basic stuff and Cryptic developed this game for two years and

Not sure I understand you; only one server; various instances; ... and a queue sounds logical; even World of ******** has queues; and they do have more than one server.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivewasp (Post 1797842)
Not sure I understand you; only one server; various instances; ... and a queue sounds logical; even World of ******** has queues; and they do have more than one server.

I remember when wow came out, had queues for over an hour on most of the popular servers for almost a year, good stuff.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivewasp (Post 1797842)
Not sure I understand you; only one server; various instances; ... and a queue sounds logical; even World of ******** has queues; and they do have more than one server.


It is simple, I will Help you better understand by giving you a glimpse into his mind....."WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I WANT TO PLAY NOW WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH IT SAYS I CANT.....MOMMMMMMMMMMM MORE CHEESEY PUFFS!!!!"

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:06 PM

The beta was to test and iron out some of the bugs so that when release came they wouldn't have as many issues. Dispite all the people complaining during beta about the downtime and threatening to cancel their orders I do admit a lot has been fixed in the game. When a game is in beta the company asks the players to report bugs and focus more on making the game better but unfortunately like with every beta I've done people just complain and blame the company for things they don't like.

Overall though I think they fixed a lot since beta first started, I mean just imagine if they skipped beta and released the game how it was the first day of beta. Now that would be very bad.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblongship (Post 1797921)
It is simple, I will Help you better understand by giving you a glimpse into his mind....."WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I WANT TO PLAY NOW WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH IT SAYS I CANT.....MOMMMMMMMMMMM MORE CHEESEY PUFFS!!!!"

No kidding LOL.

The OP has some growing up to do it seems.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:08 PM

I'd much rather see a queue than a hang, or a server busy message. Like all games there will be a growing period. I played WoW at the beginning and it was not the best for the first few months. It took over a year for them to balance the server load.

IMO the Open Beta was not run long enough, obviously, as some of the issues have still not been resolved. But with the movie still in everyone's memory... "time is of the essence" :)... hopefully they can manage the rush and keep all the people who start the game around.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetlime (Post 1797997)
I'd much rather see a queue than a hang, or a server busy message. Like all games there will be a growing period. I played WoW at the beginning and it was not the best for the first few months. It took over a year for them to balance the server load.

IMO the Open Beta was not run long enough, obviously, as some of the issues have still not been resolved. But with the movie still in everyone's memory... "time is of the essence" :)... hopefully they can manage the rush and keep all the people who start the game around.

Sadly cryptic seems to have gone for both options with this game.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivewasp (Post 1797842)
Not sure I understand you; only one server; various instances; ... and a queue sounds logical; even World of ******** has queues; and they do have more than one server.

They have like 160 servers, that is just the US and they still have ques. I don't know what people are surprised about.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:53 AM.