Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   The Lord of the Rings (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=91575)

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:31 PM

The Lord of the Rings

Well, since the server wait is nice and long, I decided to watch The Two Towers again. I find myself thinking again, as I watch it, what a very amazing trilogy Lord of the Rings was. A true classic (based on a true classic too, so even better). Anybody else here a big fan?

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:39 PM

yes. Yes! YES! I think it's brilliant! :D

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:43 PM

ahhhhh, the movies i really liked and they are of only a few movies that i watch more than once. the books of course were way better then the movies. yet, i still dont feel that either of them deserve the insane amount of hype and cult-stature popularity they recieve. i dont feel contempt for those who enjoy the stories/movies to that level, i just figure i burned out the part of my brain that can feel that much about it, dropping as much acid as i dd when i was younger... go figure!

Shpadoinkle!

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGrizz (Post 1798290)
yes. Yes! YES! I think it's brilliant! :D

That was very exhuberant... you're not Barrett, are you?

But yeah, specifically, I was actually drooling over how awesome the scene was were Gandalf faces down the friggin' Balrog on Kazhed-Dum and then follows it down the giant mine shaft.

My personal favorite moment of that entire scene is when he's falling straight down, he holds out his hand, and Glamdring falls into it with that awesome swooshing sound. Magic swords are so much cooler in LotR than in other fantasy series (because they're subtly magic instead of blatantly).

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:49 PM

:rolleyes: Lol been playing The Battle For Middle-Earth II Expansion Pack: The Rise Of The Witch-King a lot lately :p

Hehe creating a Hero on that is nothing compared to STO's character creator though :D
-( Though my Heros flat out own all the time )

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:51 PM

I too am a big LOTR fan. The first fantasy book I was introduced to as a child was the Hobbit and ever since then I have fallen in love with JRR Tolkien. I have two geeky loves in my life and they are LOTR and Star Trek. I own practically every Tolkien book known to man when it comes to Middle Earth and patiently waited in line at midnight for each release of the LOTR movies. Now the PJ is working on The Hobbit I am excited once more for this beloved literary series.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:57 PM

The movies were awesome. I tried reading the books several times but I can't quite get used to Tolkien's writing style. Plus I really care exactly where Rivendell is in relation to every other landmark in the story. Still it's a great story.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 04:59 PM

:rolleyes: Hmmm forgot when the Hobbit movie is coming out, if I recall, I'll post it hehe... :D

Archived Post 01-30-2010 05:03 PM

Much like the book, I really only find The Two Towers the compelling aspect of the series. I love Rohan, the story surrounding King Theoden, and the final battle at Helm's Deep. Although I found the film balanced better since it interwove that plot with Frodo and Sam's journey. Frodo and Sam going solo is probably the part I hate MOST of the entire book so it was much less painful in the film :p

Archived Post 01-30-2010 05:18 PM

I prefer Return Of the King if only for the Ride of the Rohirrim!