Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Exploration Badges vs PvP Badges (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=92112)

Archived Post 01-30-2010 10:49 PM

Exploration Badges vs PvP Badges

Has anyone noticed that it's faster to gain the PvP badges to purchase the Special Gear than to purchase them by Exploring?

For Tier 1 folk, exploration yields roughly 75 Badges for roughly an hour's work, while PvPers get anywhere between 20 to 50 Badges within 5 minutes.

Personally, II think Cryptic really needs to up the reward for Explorers.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 10:51 PM

Depends on the queue too.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azurian (Post 1803368)
Has anyone noticed that it's faster to gain the PvP badges to purchase the Special Gear than to purchase them by Exploring?

For Tier 1 folk, exploration yields roughly 75 Badges for roughly an hour's work, while PvPers get anywhere between 20 to 50 Badges within 5 minutes.

Personally, II think Cryptic really needs to up the reward for Explorers.

Not to mention the explorations have a cooldown, while if you luck out in the PvP queue you can chain them infinitely.

It's not cool.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 10:54 PM

I can tell you one thing too, the 'PvE XP' is better too when you win at a PvP match, right now the poor old PvE'r is getting royally screwed over.

PvP should never cross the realms of PvE.....for instance. PvPing to gain regular XP. PvPing to gain better PvE gear. Need more? Sounds like Cryptic are really trying to push the PvP thing. I'm personally not interested in PvP anymore, seeing people get better PvE gear and level up faster PvPing than doing missions is just wrong and needs to be fixed.

Right now, PvPing is one of the fastest ways to get XP especially if the queues are favorable.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 10:55 PM

An hour for the exploration badges? 6 missions nets you 150 badges. Takes 30 mins, tops, to do all 6 which will get you one piece of gear. PvP, 20 - 40 or so badges per game, but... you have the slow klingons that don't attack for quite awhile, you have queues to wait in, AND you need to do anywhere from 4 - 5 games to get 1 piece of gear, which could take longer than the exploration. Really depends on what you wanna do to get there. Either way, you're looking at about the same time, depending on circumstances.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:00 PM

I'm not hard over either way on this one, but given the lack of pve content on the Klingon side, its hard to hold the current mechanics against them since pvp is the only way they really have to level period. And while the 'special' gear may come a little faster, they are not getting the regular quest gear that the federation does, so I'm betting its not seen as a positive from that side.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:06 PM

maybe pvp takes skill and scanning 5 plants doest?

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chenchuan (Post 1804849)
maybe pvp takes skill and scanning 5 plants doest?

PvP reward difference between loser and winner is ~20%, at least as of beta.

At least with Exploration, you have to actually be doing it and not just go AFK after getting some damage in. Which is an entirely separate problem, and unfair to the people actually trying to be competitive in PvP.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuffers
I'm not hard over either way on this one, but given the lack of pve content on the Klingon side, its hard to hold the current mechanics against them since pvp is the only way they really have to level period. And while the 'special' gear may come a little faster, they are not getting the regular quest gear that the federation does, so I'm betting its not seen as a positive from that side.

Yeah, but next patch Klinks are getting their PvE content so that point would be moot then. As I see it, PvE and PvP should be completely separate entity's unless your playing a purely PVP based game, this is not.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:33 PM

When you start separating the game, you start separating the communities, have had enough of that on the last game I was on. Might as well sell it as two different games at that point, it's fine how it is right now.