Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Feb 2nd is doomsday for the server (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=92238)

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:09 PM

Feb 2nd is doomsday for the server

Okay people, lets face it - whilst most of the game itself is at least in somewhat of state that could be launched with, the servers are just not going to cut it. Even with the beta crew and headstart people, the servers are just not up to the task. Now come Feb 2nd when you multiply the player population ten-fold, the servers....well who knows what will happen, maybe they'll melt down completely and be constantly crashing.

Having just one open server so everybody essentially is playing together isn't working at least not during peak hours anyway, it might be time to make actually 'servers' and restrict the population on each server. Otherwise, come Tuesday I think the people cancelling their pre-orders will be the last thing you guys will have to worry about. Its worse by having dodgy servers, but even the log-in/account server has crashed countless times too.

As for the headstart, its pretty obvious there is alot of discontent among the ranks. Sure, its common knowledge betas and pre-launch games have their fair share of problems, but these are very serious issues, far serious than most other launch games have suffered from, player accessibility is paramount, nothing worse than having a valuable IP product but providing very little access to it because of excessive downtime and unexpected downtime because obviously people are going to leave.

Hardcore and Fanbois are not enough to keep an MMo or MoG going for long, its time to invest more resources, I bet a lot of people who are currently in the headstart/beta are most likely thinking about cancelling their pre-order. And people saying that other MMo launches had bad starts doesn't matter, thats the past - this is the present and what counts now, is at the very least accessibility to the game, otherwise honestly how can you be expected to pay for something that barely works? Its like buying a brand new car with 100,000+ mile engine under the hood...

The problem Cryptic has, its way past the point to delay the launch of STo, but its obvious...its not ready for launch in this capacity. What will happen come Feb 2nd? We'll have to see but if this product launches without some really drastic chances, I expect it to get ripped apart and highly criticized.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:10 PM

im sorry but we only speak in one or two sentences on this board, any more then that is just not worth reading.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:13 PM

Yeah, I foresee launch day being a day with out STO.

Because the servers will be consistently crashing from about 100,000 people trying to log in all at once,

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:14 PM

You mean their 486s just aren't going to cut it? Blasphemy!

Seriously, however, I want to know why it takes ages to bring the servers BACK on line. What is the boot time and app/database launch time on these things?

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunofVich (Post 1805443)
Yeah, I foresee launch day being a day with out STO.

Because the servers will be consistently crashing from about 100,000 people trying to log in all at once,

100,000? Try at least a million.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasGideon

Seriously, however, I want to know why it takes ages to bring the servers BACK on line. What is the boot time and app/database launch time on these things?

Sush you ;), 486s was great back in the day. Heck, much more stable than most modern platforms....

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonphase (Post 1805639)

Sush you ;), 486s was great back in the day. Heck, much more stable than most modern platforms....

Hahaha in your dreams pal.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:17 PM

Speaking of doomsday.... I was in a mission called Doomsday Device and I get kicked at the best part :(

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:18 PM

They may have to purge some systems files before they can bvring them up, when a server goes down it is bad, unlike a computer that can be turned back on. A Server for my old work, back when I was in college, took three days to come up after crashing, they are very fickel machienes.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonphase (Post 1805639)

hahahaha....no.

Archived Post 01-30-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasGideon

Don't dis the 486 - I remember those things had a TURBO button :)