Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Full time employed adults (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=92272)

Archived Post 01-31-2010 12:15 AM

Full time employed adults

Just wanted to talk to other full time employed adults who have bought this game.

My time is pretty precious to me, split between friends, family and work. Thankfully Star trek is something my wife loves so I felt safe taking the plunge into an MMO.

So with these "teething" problems it means that if I try and plan for a little bit of STO time I have twice now found myself unable to play.

Now I am a patient man and when the server is up I am having a bit of a ball.

But I was wondering if this would make it hard for anyone to continue playing this game?

Archived Post 01-31-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CultofCthulhu (Post 1805601)
Just wanted to talk to other full time employed adults who have bought this game.

My time is pretty precious to me, split between friends, family and work. Thankfully Star trek is something my wife loves so I felt safe taking the plunge into an MMO.

So with these "teething" problems it means that if I try and plan for a little bit of STO time I have twice now found myself unable to play.

But I was wondering if this would make it hard for anyone to continue playing this game?

At first it seems so... just give them a little more time (weeks) to straiten some of these glitches out. :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CultofCthulhu (Post 1805601)

Nah, just plan to do something else for a couple weeks and see how stable things are then.

Well, this is a new MMO.

It will get better, someday ;)

Archived Post 01-31-2010 12:20 AM

there were days last week when it was up for maybe 3 hours of gameplay in NA. It genrally crashed in prime time. Going at at 8:00 my time and coming back about midmight.

Just give it some time. Mmo servers are always unstable at launch. I've bought alot of mmos at launch and I've yet to try one that was stable for the first couple weeks after launch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aem
Well, this is a new MMO.

It will get better, someday ;)

Well, it can't really get much worse, except till we get to launch day...
I mean its really hard to beat 10-12 hours of server down time in 24 hours.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 12:21 AM

Absolutely, I do believe they will fix stability in time however. The question will be how many will stick around for the weeks or months neccesary for them to get there.

My only concern with this game is that many folks out there will spring for the lifetime sub and most of the month to month subs will cancel due to frustrations, then the corporate machine will see slumping revanues and decrease support and development. There is too much to be done for development to falter.

Full time employed adult here.

I've been playing online games for 15 years and have been employed for all 15 of them. The thing people forget about MMOs is that they're always there (unless, you know, they're cancelled). You can keep coming back to them and work at improving your character at the rate you want. There's really no rush. Go do something else til it's back.

Mind you, I've had times where I've been jealous of the 18-20 year old college students who can play 14-16 hour days and not worry about paying rent or buying food, but I'm past that and nothing really I can do about it. I have the occasional marathon weekend but really, I tend to get headaches after staring at the screen so long.

Besides, I'm too old to live on nothing but Cheetos and Redbulls.

Its common with MMO's at their launches.

Personally this mentality is getting old.

Downtimes are going to be common mainly because Cryptic did not anticipate the numbers that would be in the game. Even though they should have known by the number of preorders, I mean how hard is it to get a tally of preorders?

Anyway. Yeah the servers cannot handle the numbers so they die. If I were you I would not bother even wasting time to get into the game until Feb. 9th. And even then servers crashing could still be happening.

They said they have more server machines on rush order. But servers take a little more then just plugging in and installing OS's on so they may have them setup but do not have them ready yet.

And I too am full time employed, 22 years old. And no, I am not an adult :D