Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   only beam weapons with cruisers? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=92973)

Archived Post 01-31-2010 09:12 AM

only beam weapons with cruisers?

hi

iīm playing @ lt. cmd. engi and fly on a cruiser
so i have 3 beam weapons 1 front, 2 rear und 1 torpedo launcher in front, normally i try to get beside the enemys and beam them down but i donīt use the torpedo launcher too often with this strategy

so does anyone play this way or do u play in a different way?

greets

Archived Post 01-31-2010 09:24 AM

you could always go with 2 beams front, 1 beam back and mine launcher as you make flybys on enemies.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nythra (Post 1814205)
hi

iīm playing @ lt. cmd. engi and fly on a cruiser
so i have 3 beam weapons 1 front, 2 rear und 1 torpedo launcher in front, normally i try to get beside the enemys and beam them down but i donīt use the torpedo launcher too often with this strategy

so does anyone play this way or do u play in a different way?

greets

heh, how's your space bar holding up?

Archived Post 01-31-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikenstein
heh, how's your space bar holding up?

gaming keyboard - itīs used to - played jumping rogue on WoW :)

Archived Post 01-31-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nythra (Post 1814808)
gaming keyboard - itīs used to - played jumping rogue on WoW :)

cool. I'm thinking of setting up a macro to toggle spamming space bar twice a second, i just dont want to get banned for it.

maybe ill just buy a gameing keyboard. What sort you recomend?

Archived Post 01-31-2010 09:30 AM

actually with the power drain that the 3rd weapon gives i use 1 beam 1 torp front 1 beam 1 torp rear... this actually helps a lot cause when you get into one of those big endles circles with the enemy you can just change direction when there shield drops and hit them with a torp from the rear lancher and you power lvl should never go down

Archived Post 01-31-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

cool. I'm thinking of setting up a macro to toggle spamming space bar twice a second, i just dont want to get banned for it.

iīm using a z-board
http://img.tomshardware.com/de/2006/...c-totalbig.jpg

Archived Post 01-31-2010 10:01 AM

You can generally handle 3 beams no problem. Under no circumstances get rid of your torpedo launcher, they are basically required in this game.

Cruiser_
front: beam array/torpedo launcher (quantum is the best)
back: beam array X2

When his shields go down, simply change your angle a little so the front launcher is in its firing arc and after firing go just barely back to your broadside angle. with enough practice you can launch and be back to broadsiding without too much downtime in MOST situations. Make sure you don't get too close or turning a little will mean passing under them. At the same token, beam damage drops off based on range of course, but as long as you don't fight at 10km, you should be fine.

Heavy Cruiser_
Front:beam array X2/torp
back: beam array X2/torp

The addition of the back torp helps with very fast small ships. Your ship can't sustain 4 beam arrays firing long term, but for short term it is good and it helps with the very fast guys who fly behind you. There isn't much other choice unless you want to replace a back beam array with a mine launcher.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murbella
You can generally handle 3 beams no problem. Under no circumstances get rid of your torpedo launcher, they are basically required in this game.

Cruiser_
front: beam array/torpedo launcher (quantum is the best)
back: beam array X2

When his shields go down, simply change your angle a little so the front launcher is in its firing arc and after firing go just barely back to your broadside angle. with enough practice you can launch and be back to broadsiding without too much downtime in MOST situations. Make sure you don't get too close or turning a little will mean passing under them. At the same token, beam damage drops off based on range of course, but as long as you don't fight at 10km, you should be fine.

Heavy Cruiser_
Front:beam array X2/torp
back: beam array X2/torp

The addition of the back torp helps with very fast small ships. Your ship can't sustain 4 beam arrays firing long term, but for short term it is good and it helps with the very fast guys who fly behind you. There isn't much other choice unless you want to replace a back beam array with a mine launcher.

that was very useful to me thanks very much :)

Archived Post 01-31-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

I use a G15 keyboard from Logitech. I have autofire set up on it nicely on a toggle. STO also supports it so it gives me a stat readout on the keyboard display while the game is running.