Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Marketing/Economy 101 (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=93509)

Archived Post 01-31-2010 11:21 AM

Marketing/Economy 101

This is for all you teenage, fanboy apologists trolling the forums.

Every large company trying to sell a new product knows this fact: word of mouth drives or kills sales.

Take any 100 people. 50 people won't know about or care about your product. Of the remaining 50, 40 will already have a product in their lives that suffices their needs. Of the 10 remaining, 1 will buy it no matter what, 4 will try it, but not buy it if they don't like it. And the remaining 5? The remaining 5 have heard of the product but haven't tried it. They are thinking about buying it BUT are waiting to hear what the 4 people trying it out tell them.

You see, the reality of the situation is, the difference between success and failure here, is 1% vs 10%. You fanboys are the blind 1% that will always buy the product, no matter how terrible it is. They could put a dead rat in a box, and you'd buy it, just for the novelty of saying you did, and you'll even defend your purchase of it. But if the only people to play the game are the 1% of the morons that would buy a dead rat in a box, the company can just keep the game alive and cut budget to it by 99%.

So, let me be explicit. If the game has a tiny player base, then the game will get its budget cut. So even IF it IS kept around after the first year or two, all support and development costs for the game will be 1% of what it could be for a large and robust game population. The monthly subscriptions PAY for development, and development isn't cheap. People canceling the game is a big deal, because they have friends among the 5 other people who would buy the game if their friend likes it.

Meanwhile, the publisher will be looking at developing a new game. And if that game happens to take off, what happens to games that underproduce or have small populations? They get shut down in order to move their budgets to games that are producing (example: "Hellgate: London"). These companies are in the business of making money, not in archiving failed games.

Stop trolling people that say they are quitting. This game will suffer if the people leave.

That is all.

PS - Yes, I am a lifetime subscriber. I want this game to succeed, because I want my money's worth out of it. I didn't have mommy and daddy buy my game for me, like you.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 11:23 AM

Lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurataigiere

Every large company trying to sell a new product knows this fact: word of mouth drives or kills sales.

Take any 100 people. 50 people won't know about or care about your product. Of the remaining 50, 40 will already have a product in their lives that suffices their needs. Of the 10 remaining, 1 will buy it no matter what, 4 will try it, but not buy it if they don't like it. And the remaining 5? The remaining 5 have heard of the product but haven't tried it. They are thinking about buying it BUT are waiting to hear what the 4 people trying it out tell them.

You see, the reality of the situation is, the difference between success and failure here, is 1% vs 10%. You fanboys are the blind 1% that will always buy the product, no matter how terrible it is. They could put a dead rat in a box, and you'd buy it, just for the novelty of saying you did, and you'll even defend your purchase of it. But if the only people to play the game are the 1% of the morons that would buy a dead rat in a box, the company can just keep the game alive and cut budget to it by 99%.

So, let me be explicit. If the game has a tiny player base, then the game will get its budget cut. So even IF it IS kept around after the first year or two, all support and development costs for the game will be 1% of what it could be for a large and robust game population. The monthly subscriptions PAY for development, and development isn't cheap. People canceling the game is a big deal, because they have friends among the 5 other people who would buy the game if their friend likes it.

Meanwhile, the publisher will be looking at developing a new game. And if that game happens to take off, what happens to games that underproduce or have small populations? They get shut down in order to move their budgets to games that are producing (example: "Hellgate: London"). These companies are in the business of making money, not in archiving failed games.

Stop trolling people that say they are quitting. This game will suffer if the people leave.

That is all.

PS - Yes, I am a lifetime subscriber. I want this game to succeed, because I want my money's worth out of it. I didn't have mommy and daddy buy my game for me, like you.

Agreed ... I find it fun to ry boo hoo for all the peeps that want to try and turn people away from the game because they don't know how games like this work. Anyways ... :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurataigiere

Because starting a post with inflammatory comments is the way to make a coherent argument.

LOL Thanks for a good laugh. :)

Archived Post 01-31-2010 11:24 AM

:rolleyes:

I love it. The meltdown on this board can be at times more entertaining than actually playing the game. I mean first off we have people crying like two year old children who got their toy taken away.....while having absolutely no control thus rendering their outbursts to background noise, and then we get psuedo experts trying to rationalize how their mindless complaining is somehow justified when there are appropriate avenues of bug reporting, ticket writing, or just quitting and leaving available.

"No no no. My forum whining is certainly valid because as you can see in the pie chart to my left...."

hahahahahahaha

Just sit back and watch the show unfold. :D

Archived Post 01-31-2010 11:27 AM

Silly OP. I am deeply cynical about this game and Cryptic (and MMO's in general). That is why I don't get butthurt over a little server downtime. Most of the other "fanboys" are vets like me who are just laughing at noobs like you.

If people quit over a bit of downtime in headstart they would chuck a wobbly over every bug and exploit that is waiting to be found in the coming months.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 11:28 AM

anyone complaing about an MMO the first month of launch... should never of played it anyway..

Only a moron plays a MMO at launch and thinks thats what the game will be for the future months and beyond

Looks around at forums.... I think im surrounded by morons..

::goes back to petting my tribble::::

Archived Post 01-31-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny6973 (Post 1821324)
:rolleyes:

"No no no. My forum whining is certainly valid because as you can see in the pie chart to my left...."

:D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA this is by far the best post ever !

Archived Post 01-31-2010 11:30 AM

lol... talk about trolling...

Archived Post 01-31-2010 11:32 AM

use #stobugs on twitter .