Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Let's help Cryptic in their time of need. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=94416)

Archived Post 01-31-2010 03:23 PM

Let's help Cryptic in their time of need.

First, let me say I am being serious. (:rolleyes:)

If there are say, 30,000 users world wide...and we each chip in $2.50 per person, we can buy and send
to Cryptic two servers from DELL, one for the continental United States and one for Europe.

DELL Server

What do you say people....you don't mind over paying by $3.06 a month for an unfinished game, what's
a few more dollars to at least ensure you can sign in!

Flame on!:cool:

Archived Post 01-31-2010 03:27 PM

You think those preorders and lifetime subscriptions would have helped with those costs. :p

Archived Post 01-31-2010 03:29 PM

Geezus ... heck no. As much as the game costs. As much as the subscriptions cost. They've got more than enough of my money. If they want to setup some kind of paypal donation thing them I'll all for it. Just don't expect to see my dollars floating into it. They have enough fo them already.

Answer to the queue issue - don't play during prime time. I play midnight and later in my timezone and have no issues logging in (yet).

Archived Post 01-31-2010 03:29 PM

are you mad thats the worst idea iv ever heard

Archived Post 01-31-2010 03:32 PM

Nice idea. However, to support the amount of logins we're currently seeing, they're gonna need a bigger boat. Server structure, even. Single slaved PowerEdge is not going to cut it... you're going to need a bunch of 'em.

Plus if it's going to work as smooth as EVE (which still isn't 100% reliable, but is closer...), they need everything from routers and switchers up to the actual server cluster duplicating as well.

Also, if they ordered those things Real Soon Now (an upgrade from the old CoH Cryptic "Soon™"... ah, those were the days), they should have been shipped days ago and slavering geeks from the makers working frantically in gold TNG shirts to get it fixed...

...unless their server company techs are all WoW fans. I smell conspiracy...

Archived Post 01-31-2010 03:39 PM

string about 32 of those together and you MIGHT be able to cut the queue by about 1/4th.

seriously, if you think this game is running on ONE of those, then you are very much mistaken.

in all honesty, they probably have several dozen cabinets similar in look and set up to this example already, and are probably in need of several dozen more.

and those things are NOT cheap :)

"one server" != one physical unit...

Archived Post 01-31-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrAmyWeaver (Post 1830520)
Nice idea. However, to support the amount of logins we're currently seeing, they're gonna need a bigger boat. Server structure, even. Single slaved PowerEdge is not going to cut it. If it's going to work as smooth as EVE (which still isn't 100% reliable, but is closer...), they need everything from routers and switchers up to the actual server duplicating as well.

Also, if they ordered those things Real Soon Now (an upgrade from the old CoH Cryptic "Soon™"... ah, those were the days), they should have been shipped days ago and slavering geeks from the makers working frantically in gold TNG shirts to get it fixed...

...unless their server company techs are all WoW fans. I smell conspiracy...

Hmmm, so what type of server would be required? I would think if they received two "gifts" from UPS, they
would be able to fill in the blanks with the ancillary details like the hubs and routers.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 03:42 PM

Ill prepared are the ill prepared.

are we fubar yet, cant even believe the defenders of the faith are happy with this.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 03:42 PM

This game has me into a flaming forum troll..... there are that many problems... sad

Archived Post 01-31-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shingi
string about 32 of those together and you MIGHT be able to cut the queue by about 1/4th.

seriously, if you think this game is running on ONE of those, then you are very much mistaken.

in all honesty, they probably have several dozen cabinets similar in look and set up to this example already, and are probably in need of several dozen more.

and those things are NOT cheap :)

"one server" != one physical unit...

Ah, I see....there is one like that where my Brother-in-Law works...and let's not forget CTU has a few they're not using!