Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   experimental proton weapon (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=948781)

warpet 12-09-2013 02:11 AM

experimental proton weapon

experimental proton weapon is to low on dps it cant out dps total damage of cutting beam and cutting beam is rear weapon while experimental proton weapon is fore,my cutting beam done over 10-12% of my damage while proton weapon 10% :( it need to be 360% degree to or have higher dps by 50% to can be close to dps of other fore weapons

anazonda 12-09-2013 02:12 AM

It does however Proc to bypass shields entirely AND can be used with Beam Overload and Cannon rapid fire.

warpet 12-09-2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anazonda (Post 13935811)
It does however Proc to bypass shields entirely AND can be used with Beam Overload and Cannon rapid fire.

but this 10% is allready with cannon rapid fire 3 it done 4-5% whit no skills and some 5-6% with them so 10-11% total but on cutting beam skills dose not work and it done over 10-12% and proton proc all most never proc :( my high crtic rates dose not help me with that

capnshadow27 12-09-2013 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpet (Post 13935901)
but this 10% is allready with cannon rapid fire 3 it done 4-5% whit no skills and some 5-6% with them so 10-11% total but on cutting beam skills dose not work and it done over 10-12% and proton proc all most never proc :( my high crtic rates dose not help me with that

It is a PROTON weapon. Meaning you have to boost your proton damage for it to do boo.

Try making a Proton-Centric build using Protonic Polarons and all the Voth gear, including the Voth Tac consoles and Rep gear. You WILL sing a different tune my friend.

Edit: Your Crit Rate is your Crit chance, Not Severeity FYI.

hasukurobi 12-09-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnshadow27 (Post 13936071)
It is a PROTON weapon. Meaning you have to boost your proton damage for it to do boo.

Try making a Proton-Centric build using Protonic Polarons and all the Voth gear, including the Voth Tac consoles and Rep gear. You WILL sing a different tune my friend.

Edit: Your Crit Rate is your Crit chance, Not Severeity FYI.

Problem being that there are no tactical consoles, last I checked, that boost Proton damage directly. It only can be boosted indirectly through "beams/cannnons" consoles which are weaker.

Also Polarons are ONLY useful in an energy drain build and the direct to hull damage of these is insignificant compared to Romulan Plasma or just raw critical damage from Antiprotons.

While this weapon does have a powerful ability with the full set it is otherwise a drain on total DPS I am afraid and generally the Protonic Polarons are also next to worthless. If you are running an energy drain build then Polarized Disruptors or Fleet Polarons are superior. If you are not running an energy drain build then you should not be using Polarons to begin with.

john98837 12-09-2013 04:04 AM

This weapon, and protonic polaron weapons, are just low dps garbage. The problem is the space version of the proton proc is rediculously weak. On non voth targets your looking at a 250 damage direct to hull, player hulls are usually 40k+ and NPC hulls even higher. 250 damage is not even noticable. Your looking at about a 0.5% DPS increase from the proton proc.

On the other hand on the ground everytime the proton proc goes off your looking at a 100 damage hit to health, which is about 10-20% of your targets health depending on the target. Hardly what I would call balanced. The excuse of space crits being higher is not valid, using the gambling device plus ground traits a tactical officer can get his critical rate over 30%, and thats without boffs in omega sets.

The idea of using the +proton damage tac consoles from the rep is rediculous, they are only +20 to base weapon damage, on a 5 tac console ship your sacrificing +60 to your base damage (Using fleet tac consoles) just for the proton damage increase. That is not a good trade off, not good at all.

They need to either buff the experimental proton weapons damage by allot or make it 360 degree weapon so it can be used in place of a turret, who's dps it about matches. Another solution would be to make proton weapons available, not just proton procs, so we can do full proton weapon setups and with proton damage consoles instead of this split damage type nonsense.

If nothing is done then the experimental proton weapon is going to be one of those one we see on a ship and shake our heads.

darramouss1 12-09-2013 04:45 AM

Whilst I don't have one of them yet I'm going to say that it's a matter of time before someone finds a build that makes it work. When that happens they'll become the flavour of the month and people may start calling for a nerf.

sunfrancks 12-09-2013 04:52 AM

I was hoping that the Voth weapons would be Antiproton, as that would match what they use in space.

Shame they are polaron based, which for me, I wouldn't use :(

stoleviathan99 12-09-2013 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasukurobi (Post 13936411)
Problem being that there are no tactical consoles, last I checked, that boost Proton damage directly. It only can be boosted indirectly through "beams/cannnons" consoles which are weaker.

Also Polarons are ONLY useful in an energy drain build and the direct to hull damage of these is insignificant compared to Romulan Plasma or just raw critical damage from Antiprotons.

While this weapon does have a powerful ability with the full set it is otherwise a drain on total DPS I am afraid and generally the Protonic Polarons are also next to worthless. If you are running an energy drain build then Polarized Disruptors or Fleet Polarons are superior. If you are not running an energy drain build then you should not be using Polarons to begin with.

I'm pretty sure there are Voth rep consoles that boost Proton damage and accuracy.

redsnake721 12-09-2013 05:32 AM

I have not unlocked Tier 5 Voth rep yet, just tier 4. But I have been getting Purple Tac consoles that boost Polaron, Acc, and Proton damage. On a 4 Tac console Cruiser with all the Dyson Polaron weapons and the Dyson 3 piece set running 2 purple XII Tac consoles and 2 of the XII Purple Dyson Tac consoles with Acc/Proton buff. Its a typical Aux2batt DEM/FAW beam boat. Before it was doing a good job in the contested zone. I could clear and hold towers solo. Now adding the set and the Tac consoles it does a lot better vs Voth. But in other areas like Kerrat it does worse. So it appears for now at least these items are only useful vs one Enemy