Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Custom trait pool bad? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=95282)

Archived Post 01-31-2010 06:46 PM

Custom trait pool bad?
 
Hi.

So in light of seeing a thread titled ''Who didn't select Warp Theory?", I've begun to second guess my choices for starter traits:

Tactical Officer:

Aggressive
Creative
Efficient
Peak Health

I selected peak health because I wanted to be able to do somewhat risky maneuvers/tactics that might require a little bit of self-sacrifice in order to pull off. I always have had a kind of reckless play style, I find it more fun.

Did I choose wrong? Should I just re-roll while it's still early?

Thanks for the tip. Also, if someone wants to point me in the right direction for exactly which four traits are the absolute BEST for tac officers, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a ton!

Archived Post 01-31-2010 06:57 PM

Peak health is just ground isn't it? My experience on ground is that either your shield is full or you are dead.

Basically ground traits are a waste of time unless you want to do ground PVP. Warp theorist is too big a boost to space to not take IMO.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theCorvus
Peak health is just ground isn't it? My experience on ground is that either your shield is full or you are dead.

Basically ground traits are a waste of time unless you want to do ground PVP. Warp theorist is too big a boost to space to not take IMO.

This changes as you level. You get more health and some weapons will actually completely ignore shields, as melee does. Thats just my opinion though... I made it to lvl 39 in the OB.

As to the OP.

The traits are more or less there just to customize your character. Some may seem better than others, but I think at the end of the day they're not going to be game breaking.

You may not be as powerful as someone in space combat if you chose all ground traits, but you will be tough in ground.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:04 PM

Ok, so basically I should re-roll.

Sigh.

Ok, just so I get it right this time, what 4 traits should I pick?

Thanks!

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteis (Post 1840186)
Ok, so basically I should re-roll.

Sigh.

Ok, just so I get it right this time, what 4 traits should I pick?

Thanks!

Read my post. Traits are more or less to give your character your own feel. None of them will help your char 100% of the time, and most not even 50% of the time.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBlinker
Read my post. Traits are more or less to give your character your own feel. None of them will help your char 100% of the time, and most not even 50% of the time.

Well I did read it, if you look at the time though, we posted almost simultaneously. That post was to the dude before you.

It seems like certain space abilities give major boosts. I mean 5% is a lot.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:07 PM

The 4 space ones seemed to be the best, at least for me, more space combat then ground combat, and the PvP space comabt is much more fun than the ground in my opinion.

They are:

Astrophysicist +10 Starship Operations
Efficient + 5 shield/engine/energy weapon/auxiliary efficiency
Techie +10 Starship Engineer Training
Warp Theorist +10 Starship Warp Core Training

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStreaker
The 4 space ones seemed to be the best, at least for me, more space combat then ground combat, and the PvP space comabt is much more fun than the ground in my opinion.

They are:

Astrophysicist +10 Starship Operations
Efficient + 5 shield/engine/energy weapon/auxiliary efficiency
Techie +10 Starship Engineer Training
Warp Theorist +10 Starship Warp Core Training

Eh... from getting to lvl 39, I would say space and ground combat are about 50/50 honestly.

On that note, I also went all space but I'm playing vulcan so I also have the two racial traits that they come with. I also went with space combat traits because I play STO for the space combat, not so much the ground. :p

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteis (Post 1840186)
Ok, so basically I should re-roll.

Sigh.

Ok, just so I get it right this time, what 4 traits should I pick?

Thanks!

Once you hit Admiral and hell even before inital traits will be basically meaningless.

Once you hit Commander any skill offer up to a +50% increase while all the traits offer 10% or less bonus, there really is no wrong choice

perhaps you misunderstood my post about warp core thoery. although its one of the best if not the best space trait to have , it hardly going to have an impact on your charcter late in the game

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBlinker
Eh... from getting to lvl 39, I would say space and ground combat are about 50/50 honestly.

On that note, I also went all space but I'm playing vulcan so I also have the two racial traits that they come with. I also went with space combat traits because I play STO for the space combat, not so much the ground. :p

true but ground you can suppliment with bridge officers you skills play a much smaller role since your only doing 1/5 of the damage output maybe 1/4 with abilites and human logic, still alot less than your skills impact on space combat


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:20 PM.