Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Several Important Things Not Explained/Included (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=95344)

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:48 PM

Several Important Things Not Explained/Included

There are several important indicators that are not present in STO. I offer this feedback hopefully as a means for the devs to improve the game.

1) The skill trees offer very little explanation as to what they do practically. Yes, there are explanations, but for some reason, I am still left wondering "but should I put points there or ..." I did however find these posts helpful : Player Skills and How your Class Affects Gameplay.

2) Important Item stats are omitted: Things like cool down and energy consumption are not included in the mouse over tool tips for all items. How can we be expected to plan/strategize our preferred gameplay if we can not even make informed decisions regarding their cool downs, or how much of a toll they take on our energy reserves?

3) Speed A permanent speed display for myself and my enemies would be helpful. How else am I suppose to know how fast to go if I want to tail a slow moving target without over taking them?

Other people's concerns:
4) Shield Indicators - Whatever happened to knowing the percentages of our shields? We know that our shields have a certain amount of hit points, but we do not know just how much power/hit points gets transferred to a specific shield facing when we choose to divert power there. Without knowing percentages (numbers would be too much to fit) we don't know our timing in terms of survivability, and when are optimal opportunities/times for which we should transfer shield power, and to which shield should be given priority, especially if some are closer in health.

5) Specific Stats - Just how much does a stat affect an items performance? The percentage increases in power do not seem to match up either.

Anyone else have something they want me to add to this post?

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:49 PM

Good points! I've been wondering about the speed thing myself actually. =)

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:51 PM

Haven't really had a huge problem with your first 2 points, but your recommendations would definitely help out a lot.

As for the 3rd point, forget a speed indicator... a simple button to "Match Target's Speed" would be very nice.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celice
Good points! I've been wondering about the speed thing myself actually. =)

You can find how fast you are going by mousing over the impulse throttle. But that is slightly inconvenient during gameplay (slightly useless in fact) and there is no way to tell how fast a target is going (as far as I know).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravitate (Post 1840658)
Haven't really had a huge problem with your first 2 points, but your recommendations would definitely help out a lot.

As for the 3rd point, forget a speed indicator... a simple button to "Match Target's Speed" would be very nice.

Thats a good idea. I can't remember exactly, but wasn't an option like that available in SFC? Anyway, I'd still like the speed indicator, can be helpful in knowing how to close gaps, or if i need to increase power to the engines to outrun an enemy, etc. Being a more informed player never hurt. But yea, I like that option also.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacobFlowers (Post 1840662)
You can find how fast you are going by mousing over the impulse throttle. But that is slightly inconvenient during gameplay (slightly useless in fact) and there is no way to tell how fast a target is going (as far as I know).

Thats a good idea. I can't remember exactly, but wasn't an option like that available in SFC? Anyway, I'd still like the speed indicator, can be helpful in knowing how to close gaps, or if i need to increase power to the engines to outrun an enemy, etc. Being a more informed player never hurt. But yea, I like that option also.

TBH, the mouse should never have to be used during gameplay outside of perhaps aiming in an FPS.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 08:11 PM

speed.. yes really need that

And you cant sit in the captains chair.

The stats they wiill probably hide for a while so they can tweak without us being the wiser. CoX had many stealth nerfs IIRC.

I consider my self an advanced gamer and navigated much of this game just by shear experience. I learned so much stuff about skills the last couple of days of beta. So if its confusing old salty gamers, newbs have got to be totally lost.

Archived Post 01-31-2010 08:15 PM

aside from charcter skills there also needs to be better ship info. In beta the only way i could really compare them was to buy all three

Archived Post 01-31-2010 08:19 PM

I would like to see a DEDICATED first officer.

We can hire, fire, or promote and they will add special skills, abilities or stats to our ships

Archived Post 01-31-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravitate (Post 1840658)

no but i dont want to match ... at least not all the time.... like if i know that ship x is moving at Y speed then i know to decrease my speed to z to turn into it for instance

Archived Post 01-31-2010 08:35 PM

oh i can add to this list! i have some things that have been seriously ****ing me off.

for example: what the hell does
"To Self: 0 genades for 2 seconds" mean?
"photon grenade 1 transit to source"?

"turret grabs owners stats for buffs"? i know what it says, but buffs are applied, stats are stats...

what's the difference between physical and kinetic. if there IS a difference.

why does my ship have a stat for Cold resist? expecting Frost Bolt?

what's the difference between Starship Deflector and Starship Deflector Dish?

+2 Hold? what does it start at? 0?

ramping up skills: +6. +10. +what? percent? is that 6 + 10 for 16? or +6 to +10 for a total difference of 4? from +6 to +10 for beam weapons was 160 to 165 damage at 70 units of power. that's like 1.6%. it's not 16%. it's not even 16 damage.

I JUST DON'T GET IT

these arbitrary stats are driving me NUTS, i don't understand what they mean. +21% Self Strength Damage Resistance then applies Resistance on targets for 3% of Targets Targets Kinetic blah blah why is there a difference between Knockback and Repel in ground combat?

seriously this is frustrating. why so many terms? Cryptic knows what they mean. WE DON'T.