Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Different ship classes maximum warp. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=95576)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:19 AM

Different ship classes maximum warp.
 
So it's obvious that the higher the tier ship you have, the higher the maximum warp is. The Tier 1 starters have 7.21 I believe and the Tier 2's have 7.77. Can anybody that made it to the higher tiers in open beta please tell me what the speeds are for Tier's 3,4, and 5.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:22 AM

T3 is 8.4.
In open beta T5 was 9.4 I think.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:30 AM

Sweet. Do the speeds scale like warp speeds do in actual cannon, with it getting exponentially faster, or do they scale like the impulse speeds? From what I've seen from the difference between Tier 1 and 2, it scales like it's supposed to. If it's true, Tier 5's should move about 2.3 times faster than Tier 1's by my calculations.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:32 AM

my tier 2 is goin wrap 8.13 right now. So i think some things like engine and such effect it, Since early it was on 7.8

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shikamaru317 (Post 1843004)
Sweet. Do the speeds scale like warp speeds do in actual cannon, with it getting exponentially faster, or do they scale like the impulse speeds?

This is just conjecture, but i belive it wouldn't scale as impulse engines, but also definatly not exponentially.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd2134 (Post 1843029)
my tier 2 is goin wrap 8.13 right now. So i think some things like engine and such effect it, Since early it was on 7.8

That's odd. I'm in a Science and it's still going about 7.8. One would think that Science would have the highest warp speeds. Especially since the Discovery is a Science ship and has the highest maximum warp speed in the game (of the ships we've seen so far).

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruivo
This is just conjecture, but i belive it wouldn't scale as impulse engines, but also definatly not exponentially.

Well I guess technically it isn't exponential until you get past warp 9.9 or so. But I'm going by this table from the TNG technical manual http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Warptable.gif

I'm hoping the speeds in game follow the table pretty closely.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:45 AM

The speeds aren't directly related to what teir of ship you have, they actually increase a little with each level you obtain.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:50 AM

In fact, it is exponentially, in TV/Movie, despite some re-ajustments in the various spin-offs.

Cubic of the Warp factor (in Light years) is the speed time (in multiple of Light speed)
eg : Warp 8 is 8x8x8= 512 times the speed of Light.

In "theory", the maximum is 10, except on some rare occasions.

Interesting article in Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersp...ion)#Star_Trek

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastien_Rodriguez (Post 1843143)
In fact, it is exponentially, in TV/Movie, despite some re-ajustments in the various spin-offs.

Cubic of the Warp factor (in Light years) is the speed time (in multiple of Light speed)
eg : Warp 8 is 8x8x8= 512 times the speed of Light.

In "theory", the maximum is 10, except on some rare occasions.

Interesting article in Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersp...ion)#Star_Trek

If I'm not mistaken the cubic was from the Original Series. The new warp system from TNG uses this formula:

s(w)=w10/3 c

s(w)=velocity
w+warp factor
c=speed of light


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 AM.