Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Suggestion for Immersion - Devs please, do read inside. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=95605)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 03:00 AM

Suggestion for Immersion - Devs please, do read inside.

In my opinion, it would greatly improve the game immersion if the weapons were only draw during "red-alert" (combat) situations on the ground. You could still draw by pressing H, but they would be, by default, holstered in non-combat situations.

That would prevent players from running in public places with weapons on their hands by default. I think it is quite disturbing to see dozens of starfleet officers running in an Admiral's office carrying all sorts of heavy weapons.

Just my two cents :)

Whoever reads this and agrees with me, please do say so to get their attention :)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 03:12 AM

I agree completely. You only see them with basic hand phasers in the canon series, rarely a heavy phaser rifle, but absolutely NEVER in a starbase, under normal circumstances.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 03:56 AM

I agree... the other thing that breaks the imertion is when the NPCs interact with you and call you a player not a captain. Look at the text from "Fleet actions" and it distroys the illusion of being a captain not a player.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 04:18 AM

Star trek online: Second Amendment Edition.

Have you noticed how little crime occurs on starbases now? Thank your starfleet officer today!

Would you like to know more?

Archived Post 02-01-2010 05:11 AM

reminds me of a tng episode where picard says "one does not beam into starfleet armed"

Archived Post 02-01-2010 05:13 AM

I agree. Running around in that starbase with my riffle in my hand feels odd. My toon should be walking there, swaying her hips, looking all seductive. :-)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 05:14 AM

Holster your weapon then by pressing H?

Archived Post 02-01-2010 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruivo
In my opinion, it would greatly improve the game immersion if the weapons were only draw during "red-alert" (combat) situations on the ground. You could still draw by pressing H, but they would be, by default, holstered in non-combat situations.

That would prevent players from running in public places with weapons on their hands by default. I think it is quite disturbing to see dozens of starfleet officers running in an Admiral's office carrying all sorts of heavy weapons.

Just my two cents :)

Whoever reads this and agrees with me, please do say so to get their attention :)

imo it should be enough to seperate between hostile and not so hostile environmenty :)

eg planets and (certain) starbases

Archived Post 02-01-2010 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thane (Post 1844138)
imo it should be enough to seperate between hostile and not so hostile environmenty :)

eg planets and (certain) starbases

That's another idea.

But honestly i abhor walking around waving a gun. Taking a cue from EVE's future Incarna update, STO should invest in immersion by taking a close look at small details.

In a starfleet starbase people don't:

Run
Walk as robots
Wave guns around
Jump around
Jump on tables
Push others around

Archived Post 02-01-2010 06:20 AM

Yeah, but weapons really should be holstered in safe zones by default..