Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   IMO, Ground or away missions not fun (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=95787)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 05:41 AM

IMO, Ground or away missions not fun

In my opinion, the ground or away missions are not fun. I'm really enjoying the space combat but for me the ground missions are not fun. As a result I just rush through the ground missions so that I can get back into the space combat.

What I don't like about ground missions.

1) Can't move at the same time as I shoot. Must stand still while shooting.
2) Can't strafe at all. You can double tap a key to make him dive side ways but not strafe.
3) Don't like pressing number keys to shoot. I would prefer to use my mouse buttons to shoot.

Ground combat would be much more fun, at least for me, if the ground combat was more like a first person shooter or even third person shooter. Mass Effect 2 comes to mind since it has decent ground combat. I personally prefer freedom of running and gunning like first person shooters and if well done I like playing third person shooters. Maybe other people enjoy the ground combat in this game. I can only speak for myself. So for me, I don't find the ground combat very enjoyable in Star Trek Online. It's only passable.

So I guess what I'm saying is that at least for me, the ground combat is the weakest link in this game. I'm glad that ground combat is only around 30 percent of the game.

In spite of that fact, I am still enjoying the game... so far. We'll see in couple of months what the lasting appeal of this game will be. I think if they improve their ground combat missions making them more fun to play, then the game has a chance to last a long time.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatality1963 (Post 1844949)

1) Can't move and shoot
2) Can't strafe
3) Don't like pressing number keys to shoot. I would prefer to use my mouse buttons to shoot.

Ground combat would be much more fun, at least for me, if the ground combat was more like a first person shooter or even third person shooter. Mass Effect 2 comes to mind since it has decent ground combat. I personally prefer freedom of running and gunning like first person shooters and if well done I like playing third person shooters. Maybe other people enjoy the ground combat in this game. I can only speak for myself. So for me, I don't find the ground combat very enjoyable in Star Trek Online. It's only passable.

Okay for 1 and 2: A) Yes, you can B)No, you shouldn't be able to.

I'm sorry but I have to go on a tangent for a moment.

Why do video game players insist what is physically impossible. You cannot hit a target that is running while you are running and firing without stopping to aim. You can't run sideways, and not I'm sorry, but you can't "lean" and shoot around a corner. Also this isn't Mass Effect, quit comparing the two games. You cannot compare a single player game to a MMO. /end tangent

and for 3: Change your key bindings?

Archived Post 02-01-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

In my opinion, the ground or away missions are not fun. I'm really enjoying the space combat but for me the ground missions are not fun. As a result I just rush through the ground missions so that I can get back into the space combat.

2) Can't strafe at all. You can double tap a key to make him dive side ways but not strafe.

So I guess what I'm saying is that at least for me, the ground combat is the weakest link in this game. I'm glad that ground combat is only around 30 percent of the game.

In spite of that fact, I am still enjoying the game... so far. We'll see in couple of months what the lasting appeal of this game will be. I think if they improve their ground combat missions making them more fun to play, then the game has a chance to last a long time.

I disagree with your reasoning, but I do agree that it is sometimes enjoyably. I definitely don't want this game to be an FPS, but sometimes the missions lack depth, or they are just too much, ie kill 100 enemies and then click a button to disable something(over exaggerating but it happens) then fight a boss.

Some murder mystery away mission would be nice but I think that might be asking too much(or maybe its in later game content).

All in all it does mix things up though.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 07:22 AM

Quote:

1.) Yes you can.
2.) Yes you can (when you have an enemy targeted).
3.) Change your key bindings, perhaps?

Also, comparing a single-player game to any MMO is ill-advised. They're different by their nature.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Depends on the weapon. Some make you stop to shoot, some you can run with. Phasers seem to let you run and gun.

Quote:

Run left while using mouselook to keep looking forward and you'll strafe-run.

Quote:

Remap your 'shoot' buttons to buttons on your mouse, I guess? This is an RPG, not a shooter. You have more than one "shoot" button, so I hope you have a mouse with a lot of buttons.

Personally, I enjoy the ground combat a great deal.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 07:36 AM

I like the ground combat well enough. I'd LOVE to be able to set tactics for my BOs, a la Dragon Age.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 07:38 AM

I like them, albeit I'd like to see more variety in them, plus non enemy NPC, maybe some creatures scampering around and just more things to collect or learn about on the planets. :)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 07:39 AM

I actually think ground missions are awesome.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 07:48 AM

Although in my opinion they need "fleshing out" a bit, personally I think they've done a good job so far with the ground misions.

The graphics are good enough (although theres no animal life about).
The stances of your characters are realistic enough (go into aim mode and your character keeps his weapon to his shoulder).

Whether or not you can fire whilst moving can depend on a few things.
For instance, a standard "bolt setting" firing option allows you to move whilst you fire, however a "sniper shot" stops you from moving. To me, this isn't a problem because I think its pretty realistic.

Personally, I don't play MMO's for the Unreal / Half Life art of "bunny hopping" whilst accurately hitting a targt. Its unrealistic and downright annoying.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 11:13 AM

Thanks for all your comments and constructive points.