Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Nerfing Briar Patch (Hey Devs challenge us!?) (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=96132)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 10:07 AM

Nerfing Briar Patch (Hey Devs challenge us!?)

Ok, so why the nerf of Briar Patch?

Were the whining complainers that many, and that unable to do the mission and not die a few dozen times?

The mission was fun as was. Where you had to becareful and plot your way through the mission.

Devs do you guys really want us not to have to think our way through missions?

That is what FPS are for.

Give us whom like missions that have some intellectual/tactical/strategic value something worth playing this game for.

Yes I am asking the devs to challenge us.

Frankly Briar Patch is a joke now and just a time sink.
Before the nerf it was a welcome challenge and fun because you had to be careful.

Though it seems the simply minded and impatient are ruining this as many other games.

Seems to me like we are getting less intelligent each day.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 10:54 AM

I strongly agree!

Archived Post 02-01-2010 10:56 AM

bring back the briar patch, its so easy now.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 11:38 AM

It didn't need to be easier, but it did need redesign. Having such a huge level with no full impulse is crazy, and having it so clouds can magically respawn on top of you is purely unfair. If they could have fixed both those problems, nothing else would have needed changing.

The clouds should be incapable of respawning, instead they should be able to slowly change position, in the way clouds drift.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 12:26 PM

Sadly this seems to be the trend, so many subs are just wanting to have EZ mode. I believe because the Star Trek name has brought a group of people to the MMO genre that really haven't an idea what this is going to do to their game.

When they reach the end and can't progress their main toon, and they get all the skill for their BOFF's they will quit... That will take a casual about 3 months. Then they will complain there is nothing to do.

MMO are only successful if they have challenges so people can work at them.

But time will tell, and another company will learn the hard way.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorD (Post 1850290)
It didn't need to be easier, but it did need redesign. Having such a huge level with no full impulse is crazy, and having it so clouds can magically respawn on top of you is purely unfair. If they could have fixed both those problems, nothing else would have needed changing.

The clouds should be incapable of respawning, instead they should be able to slowly change position, in the way clouds drift.

I HATED the mission the 2 times I went thru it in OB.

Not that it was difficult...Just those damn Metreon Pockets that respawn...I spent more time chasing pockets, then ships...and when I think I am clear...BOOM. Dead...Metreon pocket spawned on top of me.....I don't mind dying (even if there was a death penalty) but sheesh.

Maybe reduce the damage caused by them, or change the spawn timer or something....

And no...I did not participate in the whines to the devs about the mission.

I was willing to accept it as it was...just avoid doing it as long as possible. hehe

Archived Post 02-01-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

having it so clouds can magically respawn on top of you is purely unfair.

Clouds don't respawn if you don't destroy them in the first place.

Quote:

Drifting would be nice, but would take more coding than they're probably willing to put into the mission right now. Best you can hope for with the current engine is probably "patroling" clouds, and that would look just silly.

Besides, clouds respawn because you're in an entire gas nebula. Realisticly, if you set one off, it could cause a chain reaction that could work through the entire nebula and destroy you in one hit. Instead, they chose to presume that these are just isolated "pockets" that vary in concentration. You're not going to be able to destroy a whole gas nebula with just your energy weapons. And that's the very reason you're not supposed to target the clouds in the first place, but to avoid them.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 01:56 PM

I learned too late... CRYPTIC is nerfing the challenge of everything...

OMG... WHY did i buy the life time membership... one person Whines about it being oto diifficult ... Cryptics response is... lets make it easier.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:25 PM

Get real guys, that quest was, bar none, the most tedious quest out there during OB. It was voted the most hated quest in beta (followed by the rescue the researchers due to the last battleship).

Did they over nerf (shrug) but it did need to be changed.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:42 PM

Some of you guys do realise you don't have to actually fly through the gas to destroy the turrets, don't you? Even in CB, you could just fly above the entire area and take out the turrets from above. And, you still can - I did it not three hours ago.

I can't believe people would actually fly head first into the gas anyhow.