Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Pretttty much the best launch ever (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=96243)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 12:19 PM

Pretttty much the best launch ever

Wow - I REALLY like this game, Cryptic, fixed a lot of problems during beta. Sticking to this single server philosophy is just incredibly ingenious. Now Everyone get's to play with everyone.

I know you will double or triple the number of computers involved. I'm not going to randomly guess that you may or may not lose half the subscriptions in a month because I'm having fun now. You have the major hit on your hands although a there will be a lot of people whining and crying even if you do make immediate improvement to the infrastructure.

We WANT to love this game... and we do!

On a personal note, if we really want to enjoy the game, we'll avoid the forums. It's like the Internet has given everyone a voice and they have chosen to use that voice to complain about STO. I am enjoying myself, however. Once all the spitting and stick swinging calms down, which my guess will be a few months, then STO will be one of the top MMO's in subscriptions by the end of the year. It still won't affect my enjoyment because I'm patient and have common sense. RL is WAY to stressful to worry about what Cryptic does to their own product. I'm just happy to be a part of it from the beginning.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 12:22 PM

I agree to everything above :D

Archived Post 02-01-2010 12:25 PM

Video game forums have always, and all ways will be, the vocal minority.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 12:25 PM

Alot of the uproar about the head start problems was only because people really wanted to be online playing! :D That is a good sign, it's frustrating but every MMO has it's troubles. I hope they are ready to go for tomorrow's retail launch. I admit to even getting frustrated because I would rather be playing than waiting in a queue. :eek:

Archived Post 02-01-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural_Disaster (Post 1850000)
I agree to everything above :D

I've seen you in game. I remember seeing a player named Zeus! hahaha

Archived Post 02-01-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PISTOLcm (Post 1850060)
I've seen you in game. I remember seeing a player named Zeus! hahaha

awesome. I better float around some more twiddlin me thumbs :D

Archived Post 02-01-2010 12:27 PM

My character's name is Cray, aboard the USS Republic, and I approve this message.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 12:28 PM

Actually the smoothest launch I have seen was Warhammer online other than massive ques on some servers , so bad that we changed our server on headstart. Not like thats thier fault.

Mythic just killed thier game to to horrible patches and no idea of balance.

Sto had a ok launch....far from the worst I have seen.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maraculus (Post 1849964)
Wow - I REALLY like this game, Cryptic, fixed a lot of problems during beta. Sticking to this single server philosophy is just incredibly ingenious. Now Everyone get's to play with everyone.

I know you will double or triple the number of computers involved. I'm not going to randomly guess that you may or may not lose half the subscriptions in a month because I'm having fun now. You have the major hit on your hands although a there will be a lot of people whining and crying even if you do make immediate improvement to the infrastructure.

We WANT to love this game... and we do!

On a personal note, if we really want to enjoy the game, we'll avoid the forums. It's like the Internet has given everyone a voice and they have chosen to use that voice to complain about STO. I am enjoying myself, however. Once all the spitting and stick swinging calms down, which my guess will be a few months, then STO will be one of the top MMO's in subscriptions by the end of the year. It still won't affect my enjoyment because I'm patient and have common sense. RL is WAY to stressful to worry about what Cryptic does to their own product. I'm just happy to be a part of it from the beginning.

/agreed

PS nice jay and silent bob reference. ;)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 12:29 PM

This is by far the 2nd best launch behind the flawless launch of LOTRO and I been threw a few AO, WW2, Vanguard, ***, WoW, all of which were horrid and have game breaking issues.

Apart from a bit of of downtime which IMO has been minimal at best the game itself is not fundamentally broken like *** (and WoW still to this day you cant fire skills until your animations are finished) and just needs the odd tweak here and there to fix up or add more auction house search functions, and the getting player into the same instance who are teamed up. Other than that its been plain sailing.