Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   What's the point? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=96402)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 01:00 PM

What's the point?
 
Ok, if I'm a tactical officer what is the point of training Starship Engineering Training? It improves abillities that I'm never going to have. If the answer is there is no benefit, then why the hell is it even available? Any thoughts?

Archived Post 02-01-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obi636 (Post 1851821)
Ok, if I'm a tactical officer what is the point of training Starship Engineering Training? It improves abillities that I'm never going to have. If the answer is there is no benefit, then why the hell is it even available? Any thoughts?

umm a place to burns points so you will have to buy cryptic buck for a respec maybe?

Archived Post 02-01-2010 01:03 PM

Your right, there really isn't any point to train that stuff as a tactical officer. Why is it listed? because characters are not "set" in their career paths and you can train anything you wish. Keep in mind though that in later levels, someone who spent points in things that are not of their class won't have the points as someone who specialized in everything for their class.

A tactical captain who trained in many different aspects will be killed easily from a captain who only trained tactical/combat skills.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 01:03 PM

My understanding is those skills provide bonuses to your bridge officers as well.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonid
My understanding is those skills provide bonuses to your bridge officers as well.

I don't see it said anywhere in any description that training that helps BO's. The BO's have their own separate training regimen for their skills. This is for the player.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 01:07 PM

It benefits your BO skills. However, I dont use them until I have all the skills of that Tier that I want for myself first. I usually have some leftover before I 'level up' that I can spend in enhancing BOs.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 01:09 PM

Starship Engineering covers all of your starship power efficiencies. Assuming you want to get more power to weapons for dps or power to auxilliary for turn or power to shields for defense it can be very valuable.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zakoriz
It benefits your BO skills. However, I dont use them until I have all the skills of that Tier that I want for myself first. I usually have some leftover before I 'level up' that I can spend in enhancing BOs.

What sort of evidence have you gathered that points to it helping BO skills? Are you just speculating or do you know something? hmmmm??? hmmmmmmm? =P

Archived Post 02-01-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obi636 (Post 1851821)
Ok, if I'm a tactical officer what is the point of training Starship Engineering Training? It improves abillities that I'm never going to have. If the answer is there is no benefit, then why the hell is it even available? Any thoughts?

It does a few things. It effects your away teams engineer ability and it effect the BO space power Engineering team which repairs your hull. So there is a use for some Tactical officers to use it.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 01:23 PM

The skill details tell you if it helps your BOs


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:33 PM.