Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   AutoHotkey (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=96722)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:40 PM

AutoHotkey

Do any of you use autohotkey for this game? If not I recommend it for all games and work. It operates by its own scripting language and it can manipulate your machine and mouse in awesome ways.

Just a few examples of in game uses:

When i press control -1 is fires all weapons until i turn off caps lock
same for control 2 except all phaser and control-3 is all canons
when i press delete, it balances shields every 3 seconds until i turn off insert mode

etc etc. It is phenomenal

for work, in case any of you are interested,
I can open any component of outlook, start new emails, start emails to specific people and mailing lists all without outlook even the active window

i open most programs with it

the list goes on.

i really recommend it... AutoHotkey

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:50 PM

It could be seen very easily as violating the EULA when used it that manner as it automates certain gameplay functions and provides an advantage over players not using it. (ie balancing shields, while maneuvering, firing weapons AND being able to use your mouse to target)

Not saying it WILL be an issue, just that it MIGHT.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:52 PM

That was the weirdest and most unexpected comment I could have expected..

Archived Post 02-01-2010 02:54 PM

Let me tell you what, you can mash the control space keys until your fingers fall off and i am going to turn caps on and press control-1

Archived Post 02-01-2010 03:05 PM

i also use AHK extensively for all my MMO games. especially with this game where even the most basic of spells dont autocast correctly.

Quote:

It could be seen very easily as violating the EULA
i can assure you, they can't tell that you are using AHK. however if you are really worried, consider adding a small random delay to each key press (using the intrinsic random number generator ofc). beside it is no more powerful that some of the addon you can have for the "game that shall not be named".

btw.. i've tried telling ppl the greatness of the AHK, a few post here and there, but ppl dont reply. probably got scared of the if loop? :-))

edit.. moo cow

Archived Post 02-01-2010 03:23 PM

Just saying a dev had said it *might* get you banned back in a thread in OB talking about macro apps/G15 macros.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 03:24 PM

Welcome to the "This is specifically banned under the EULA" portion of the thread.

This is specifially banned under the EULA.

p.s. I use them at work too, they're frickin' awesome :D Personally prefer button mashing in games though, dunno why. Unless it's excessive, like the original SWG. Any game where the dev's build in a macro builder, you just know is gonna give you some serious RSI. And I'm not talking about the Twi'Lekk dancers.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodan (Post 1857425)
Just saying a dev had said it *might* get you banned back in a thread in OB talking about macro apps/G15 macros.

This thread in particular is the one you're referring to:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=83574

Archived Post 02-01-2010 05:29 PM

only one thing to say...

i wonder if i can sue them for breaking my thumb for all the extreme button meshing i am going to do.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 07:14 PM

While opem beta a dev made some comments regarding macros.
Basically he said that it's unimportant if a macro comes from a g15-keyboard or from autohotkey.
It's only important for cryptic if a macro goes too far or not. He also said that he can't define exact rules what's forbidden and what not.

That means you can use autohotkey as long as the macro don't go too far. If the macro goes too far they will ban you, regardless if it's from autohotkey or from g15.