Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   AFK in PvP and getting rewarded (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=97251)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 08:52 PM

AFK in PvP and getting rewarded
 
1 Attachment(s)
Cryptic, Cryptic, Cryptic...

Have you learned nothing from other MMORPGs? Must we take you to task to solve the same problem that every other MMORPG found and solved years ago?

Take a look at this screenshot and tell me what you're going to do about it before it becomes rampant.

This was the end of a large area control map. 1 Klingon was verbally avoiding any participation and recommending everyone else do the same. In the end there weren't enough of us left even trying to be able to do anything against the FedBall.



Yes, I can queue with my own team to avoid this in 5v5s but there's nothing I can do about it in 7v7 or 10v10, except not play those maps.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 08:56 PM

:mad: god i hate people like that. There's simply no..well.. honour in it. Where's the spirit? The will to win? You get your badges and your stuff and then what? Go afk some more?

On the bright side, at least it's one nice big not so happy server. We could always post a list of the insipid twits somewhere so everyone can know who they are and black-list the inspid twits.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 08:57 PM

No, apparently they haven't. We still start pvp matches without teams ready. We still have deathmatch pvp maps...

Archived Post 02-01-2010 09:02 PM

Just some options for fixes:

* If you don't shoot anyone for a certain amount of time, you get thrown out of the instance (this would also fix the so-called "Klingon cloak griefing" in deathmatch games). Although it would be nice if games would start with full teams before we implement this fix. This is how most MMORPGs have solved the issue. You don't have to be any good, but you have to at least play.

* Make the queue server read our ignore lists and never put us in a game with someone on our ignore lists. We can ignore the AFKers and never have to play with them again (and when enough people ignore them, they will never get into a match again because the server can never find enough people to fill up the rest of their team).

* Once the game launches, these people will input their credit card info. You will know where they live. I'm just sayin'.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamz
Cryptic, Cryptic, Cryptic...

Have you learned nothing from other MMORPGs? Must we take you to task to solve the same problem that every other MMORPG found and solved years ago?

Take a look at this screenshot and tell me what you're going to do about it before it becomes rampant.

This was the end of a large area control map. 1 Klingon was verbally avoiding any participation and recommending everyone else do the same. In the end there weren't enough of us left even trying to be able to do anything against the FedBall.



Yes, I can queue with my own team to avoid this in 5v5s but there's nothing I can do about it in 7v7 or 10v10, except not play those maps.


I was wondering what one person was doing in my last game. Match starts and I invite everyone to the group, one person refuses. Doesn't say a word the whole match and just flies around until we lose. Klingon BTW. Something has to be done to prevent this, like scale reward to damage or something.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 02:44 AM

with 0 dmg u wont be rewarded, tested:)

Archived Post 02-02-2010 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamz
Just some options for fixes:

* If you don't shoot anyone for a certain amount of time, you get thrown out of the instance (this would also fix the so-called "Klingon cloak griefing" in deathmatch games). Although it would be nice if games would start with full teams before we implement this fix. This is how most MMORPGs have solved the issue. You don't have to be any good, but you have to at least play.

Oh, I don't know about that "kick if you dont' shoot anyone". It seems to me like if klingons cloaked, feds would get kicked at the same time as they would.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 05:28 AM

We came across a team of 5 Feds yesterday who were just suiciding for quick xp. There were only 2 of us on the Klingon side to begin with so it's not as though they were outnumbered. Right from the minute the match started all 5 of them would just run up to us then jump up and down waiting to be killed.

It's boring enough when you fight inexperienced feds who are new to PvP as all yuo do is run the map in circles sweeping as you go but for them to be acting like lemmings totally ruins it and completely strips any fun away from the games. Same thing as when you're talking about them simply refusing to fight Slamz.

Rewards need to be changed to more contribution based than they are now and changed quickly as competition is the only thing that makes both the space and ground matches fun. Personally i'd give them zero reward unless they actually kill someone, i'd love to give the whole losing team zero reward for losing too but that would just discourage feds from playing as they almost always lose on the ground and lose more than half of the time in space in the first 2 tiers.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hundredth (Post 1866502)
Oh, I don't know about that "kick if you dont' shoot anyone". It seems to me like if klingons cloaked, feds would get kicked at the same time as they would.

That might not be a bad thing. Champions had the concept of a "stalemate" where the match ended if nobody died within a certain time frame. I can't remember how it worked the rewards when this happened, though.



I think what it really boils down to is needing a "contribution" system. Like:

(Disclaimer: numbers are just top-of-the-head examples of the concept.)
1 damage = 1 point
1 healing = 1 point
utility abilities (ground holds, space tractor beams, etc) = 100 points per activation
capturing a point on area control = 1000 points per capture
ground exposes = 100 points per expose
winning team = double points


Add up everyone's contribution points and your percentage of that is your percentage of reward.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:43 AM.