Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Why choose cruiser over science ship? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=97294)

Archived Post 02-01-2010 09:33 PM

Why choose cruiser over science ship?

It seems like everything a cruiser can do a science ship can do better. The science ships have a tighter turn radius. Almost as much damage output and can shield tank better.

At this point in the game whats the point of cruisers besides their badass looks?

Archived Post 02-01-2010 09:34 PM

Because you feel like it? It's a game; do what is most fun. Not what is most 'efficient'. I pick cruisers because I like cruisers. And I do pretty good in them. Maybe I could do better in science ship. Oh well. I'll stick to cruisers. It's all about fun.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 09:35 PM

The ability to fire more weapons at once without draining energy. The extra engineer boff stations as well. On top of the extra hull hp. From what I understand, the Cruisers get a lot better balanced at Tier 3 and above.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 09:35 PM

Cruisters have extra crew, so if you want to, say, launch a boarding party without crippling a ton of ship's systems, cruisers would be great at that.

They also take a ton of damage, which is great if you're into tech de-buffing enemies

Archived Post 02-01-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamui (Post 1862275)
Because you feel like it? It's a game; do what is most fun. Not what is most 'efficient'. I pick cruisers because I like cruisers. And I do pretty good in them. Maybe I could do better in science ship. Oh well. I'll stick to cruisers. It's all about fun.

For some people, being efficient is part of the "fun".

I personally would love to play Cruisers, but due to a lot of the common grief people spout about that tier, I'd find it rather un-fun to be playing a ship type that is gimped and serves no special purpose aside from its aesthetic value.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsvaox
It seems like everything a cruiser can do a science ship can do better. The science ships have a tighter turn radius. Almost as much damage output and can shield tank better.

At this point in the game whats the point of cruisers besides their badass looks?

It's about playstyle rather than min/max.

The cruisers turn for crap so they are broadside oriented and very beam weapon oriented. A science ship can mount fore and aft torps and maneuver well enough to fire them, but that's a playstyle decision. It depends on how you want to play. Big badass tank with broadside salvos, or more maneuverable ship that can debuff up the wahoo, or a super maneuverable high damage ship that is fragile. It's all about playstyle, not min/max.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 10:00 PM

In my little science ship if I get near an exploding ship half my crew gets injured. Cruisers have 10 times the crew I have thats what makes them cool. Also they take a ton of hits that would blow me out of the water. Life is good with a cruiser around.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacobFlowers (Post 1862425)
For some people, being efficient is part of the "fun".

I personally would love to play Cruisers, but due to a lot of the common grief people spout about that tier, I'd find it rather un-fun to be playing a ship type that is gimped and serves no special purpose aside from its aesthetic value.

EXACTLY! And those people should play the ship that is most efficient. It's all about having fun after all.

So, you would rather take the opinions of complete strangers who may have complete and utter likes and dislikes from you rather then try something out for yourself? Interesting.

Archived Post 02-01-2010 10:14 PM

how is cruiser dps compared to science dps?

Archived Post 02-01-2010 10:23 PM

About equal really. Perhaps tilted a bit in the cruiser's favor as it has more power and more engineering stations to reduce beam costs. Otherwise their weapon mount loadouts and restrictions are about the same.