Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   GMT Down-times.. A little 'inconvinient'? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=97547)

Archived Post 02-02-2010 02:04 AM

GMT Down-times.. A little 'inconvinient'?

Simple point, i work evenings so i generally get all my playtime in during the day, however whenever there's any of this rare 'scheduled' downtime, it's smack bang in the middle of the GMT day - Surely it's possible to make this downtime 12-3 PST making it, 8-11 GMT which cushions the blow slightly. I'm aware it's a minor thing to nerd-rage at but, i dont get a great deal of play time, then when i get a free day (up until work) to eat half of it with downtime.

Basically, i really cannot see the relevance of the PST times, shifting them back a few hours isn't going to make a great deal of difference because 8/10 players will be in bed anyway. I doubt Cryptic will even glance at this post however, maybe someone out there cares!

Perhaps there isn't a 'weekly' maintenance - making one day ever now and then.. not quite so bad, but i haven't caught wind on this subject yet so - please leave me better informed otherwise.

Let's be fair - this point is not 'completely' invalid; befure people start burning me at the stake.

Sincerely -
Vloren / Avala.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 02:06 AM

Consider it god's way of reminding you to bathe, eat and get plenty of rest for your day at work tomorrow. :p

Archived Post 02-02-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vloren
Simple point, i work evenings so i generally get all my playtime in during the day, however whenever there's any of this rare 'scheduled' downtime, it's smack bang in the middle of the GMT day - Surely it's possible to make this downtime 12-3 PST making it, 8-11 GMT which cushions the blow slightly. I'm aware it's a minor thing to nerd-rage at but, i dont get a great deal of play time, then when i get a free day (up until work) to eat half of it with downtime.

Basically, i really cannot see the relevance of the PST times, shifting them back a few hours isn't going to make a great deal of difference because 8/10 players will be in bed anyway. I doubt Cryptic will even glance at this post however, maybe someone out there cares!

Perhaps there isn't a 'weekly' maintenance - making one day ever now and then.. not quite so bad, but i haven't caught wind on this subject yet so - please leave me better informed otherwise.

Let's be fair - this point is not 'completely' invalid; befure people start burning me at the stake.

Sincerely -
Vloren / Avala.

Letīs be hones: MAIN play time in Europe is about 4pm to 11pm.
And: there is NO TIME at all where all people are content. I find patching in the morning when 95% of all people are either at work or in school VERY convenient.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahless2001 (Post 1865153)
Consider it god's way of reminding you to bathe, eat and get plenty of rest for your day at work tomorrow. :p

Best reply ever! :D

Archived Post 02-02-2010 02:12 AM

Really, you can't find a time that will suit everyone. The majority of the customer base is probably American, and moving the downtime to 8-10PM for Europe would annoy even more people. Performing maintenance when a) Americans are likely to be asleep, and b) most Europeans should be in work is pretty much the best compromise there is.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunnagh (Post 1865175)
Letīs be hones: MAIN play time in Europe is about 4pm to 11pm.
And: there is NO TIME at all where all people are content. I find patching in the morning when 95% of all people are either at work or in school VERY convenient.

Then where's the harm in sneaking it back a few hours, it'll make it more convinient for people like myself, moe people are going to play around the middle of the day as appose to early morning.

It's nice to see you're empathetic however, thankyou.

EDIT, this post applies to the post before this too. im saying take it from 3-5am PST to 12-3am PST. Making it 8-11am GMT. Instead of putting it smack back in the middle of our day.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 02:17 AM

So, let me chime in on this, too. :)

I, too, work evenings in the Eastern Time Zone. I normally don't get home from work until sometime around 1 a.m. EST. All of my time to play is between the time I get home and the time I hit the sack sometime between 5 - 6 a.m.

So, tell me, Mr./Ms. Vloren, why should the developers cotton to YOUR play time and perhaps disrupt my own?

And, yes, I'm being facetious. :)

As for the devs using PST as the time for server maintenance, I think it's because THAT'S where the servers are located and they need to do their work per their own time zone parameters.

Frankly, I say, suck it up and do with what you can do.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 02:29 AM

Quote:

Simple point, i work evenings so i generally get all my playtime in during the day, however whenever there's any of this rare 'scheduled' downtime, it's smack bang in the middle of the GMT day - Surely it's possible to make this downtime 12-3 PST making it, 8-11 GMT which cushions the blow slightly.

Sincerely -
Vloren / Avala.

WOAH THERE!!! I happen to be GMT, and I work from 8:30am to 4:30pm - MY play time is from about 6pm till 11pm. So your idea stops ME from playing.

You selfish personage.

Anyway, my point is - it doesn't matter when downtime is. It's will affect somebody somewhere, and they're not going to like it.

If the servers are down, get over it and find something else to do.

Me, I watched Hustle, played some Forza and managed to do a bit of washing up. Yes, I'd rather have been playing the Trek, but you know what, there's no point in getting angry at something outside of your conrtol, mainly because it's outside of your control and theres stuff all you can do about it.

Jesus, stop being so damned selfish, find something else to occupy your mind during downtime. Yes, I agree, it's annoying and fustrating, but guess what??? Crap happens!!

Archived Post 02-02-2010 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toyan (Post 1865457)
WOAH THERE!!! I happen to be GMT, and I work from 8:30am to 4:30pm - MY play time is from about 6pm till 11pm. So your idea stops ME from playing.

You selfish personage.

Anyway, my point is - it doesn't matter when downtime is. It's will affect somebody somewhere, and they're not going to like it.

If the servers are down, get over it and find something else to do.

Me, I watched Hustle, played some Forza and managed to do a bit of washing up. Yes, I'd rather have been playing the Trek, but you know what, there's no point in getting angry at something outside of your conrtol, mainly because it's outside of your control and theres stuff all you can do about it.

Jesus, stop being so damned selfish, find something else to occupy your mind during downtime. Yes, I agree, it's annoying and fustrating, but guess what??? Crap happens!!

Are you retarded? learn to read, making the dowtime 8AM-11AM

Archived Post 02-02-2010 02:31 AM

Quote:

EDIT, this post applies to the post before this too. im saying take it from 3-5am PST to 12-3am PST. Making it 8-11am GMT. Instead of putting it smack back in the middle of our day.

So you want to put it in the middle of MY day, yes?